How Big Is Your Snake?

Changian

This was caught a couple of weeks ago on Koh Chang. But until now i didn't have a photo of it. The skin was bought by a bar on White Sand beach. The meat was bought by a resort in Klong Prao for a staff party. Lucky staff.

post-56770-1247762671_thumb.jpg

WOW! Good find, Changian. What bar has the skin? Where did they catch it (klong ?). I thought all the big guys had retreated FAR inland.

About 12 years ago Jurgen (RIP--Plaloma Resort) had a 6.5 meter skin. That was the biggest I'd seen until now...

What a mighty animal. Reminds me of the movie "Anaconda". It must be the dog in the middle of the snakes body. And it looks like that snake can swallow a smaller human being as well.

So what would be the best thing to do if a large Python attacks? Maybe trying to keep the arms and hands free and trying to press the fingers as hard as possible into the snakes eyes.

Ko Chang has some of the very last large snakes in Thailand. It is a outrage to kill such a creature as this but what does anyone expect? There is no conservation at all in Thailand. The only guy in the Government down in Ko Chang that ever tried to do anything was promptly blacklisted and ran off the island. So much for the National Park status, the only thing protected there is the transportation mafia.

This was caught a couple of weeks ago on Koh Chang. But until now i didn't have a photo of it. The skin was bought by a bar on White Sand beach. The meat was bought by a resort in Klong Prao for a staff party. Lucky staff.

I find that picture to be absolutely repulsive! Someone may be able to try to justify the killing of this fantastic animal but I will take some convincing. Just another example of Thai Buddhism in action I guess. :)

It could haver been a Burmese Python (Python molurus bivittatus), which is the largest subspecies of the Indian Python and one of the 6 largest snakes in the world, native to rainforest areas of Southeast Asia. They are often found near water and are sometimes semi-aquatic, but can also be found in trees.

The Burmese python is one of the largest snakes, on average growing up to 5.5 metres (18 ft) and weighing up to 71 kilograms (160 lb). It continues to grow throughout life and the great length is due to the presence of a large number of vertebrae. Females are typically larger than males.

A Burmese Python at Serpent Safari Park in Gurnee, Illinois, USA was billed as the heaviest living snake in captivity. In 2005, it weighed 183 kilograms (403 lb) at a length of 8.2 metres (27 ft). The snake was named Baby.[1]

...says Wiki.

That means, that this animal was exceptional big. Wonder how old it was.

It could haver been a Burmese Python (Python molurus bivittatus), which is the largest subspecies of the Indian Python and one of the 6 largest snakes in the world, native to rainforest areas of Southeast Asia. They are often found near water and are sometimes semi-aquatic, but can also be found in trees.

The Burmese python is one of the largest snakes, on average growing up to 5.5 metres (18 ft) and weighing up to 71 kilograms (160 lb). It continues to grow throughout life and the great length is due to the presence of a large number of vertebrae. Females are typically larger than males.

A Burmese Python at Serpent Safari Park in Gurnee, Illinois, USA was billed as the heaviest living snake in captivity. In 2005, it weighed 183 kilograms (403 lb) at a length of 8.2 metres (27 ft). The snake was named Baby.[1]

...says Wiki.

That means, that this animal was exceptional big. Wonder how old it was.

I heard this one was 152 Kg.

These guys who killed this are mindless idiots. That snake was not a danger to anyone where it was and should have been left alone. I'm really surprised to see Ian has posted this here as if it were something to be proud of. Its no surprise at all to see that Sabay Bar played a roll by purchasing the hide so they can show it off to drunken idiots at their bar. Its not a surprise to hear of a resort paying for the meat and encouraging this kind of thing as it has gone on for years. Its normal for the animals on Ko Chang to get killed and served up for dinner even though it is 100% illegal to do such a thing.

Many would have loved to seen the pictures of this wild snake alive, they would have lasted much longer than dinner and whiskey for mindless idiots. The more I think about it the more it pisses me off this snake was shot and killed for nothing, WHAT A FFFFING WASTE!

I find that picture to be absolutely repulsive! Someone may be able to try to justify the killing of this fantastic animal but I will take some convincing. Just another example of Thai Buddhism in action I guess. :)

These guys who killed this are mindless idiots. That snake was not a danger to anyone where it was and should have been left alone. I'm really surprised to see Ian has posted this here as if it were something to be proud of. Its no surprise at all to see that Sabay Bar played a roll by purchasing the hide so they can show it off to drunken idiots at their bar. Its not a surprise to hear of a resort paying for the meat and encouraging this kind of thing as it has gone on for years. Its normal for the animals on Ko Chang to get killed and served up for dinner even though it is 100% illegal to do such a thing.

Many would have loved to seen the pictures of this wild snake alive, they would have lasted much longer than dinner and whiskey for mindless idiots. The more I think about it the more it pisses me off this snake was shot and killed for nothing, WHAT A FFFFING WASTE!

Thankyou very much, both you gentlemen said exactly what I was thinking. Pity it didnt take a couple of these mindless scum bags out. Human beings are disgusting creatures, killing for the sake of killing.

Hey! Lighten up! Times are tough here on the rock!

The locals are broke and hungry...Give 'em a break :)

At the end of the day I guess that's what it boils down to. It's a mix of ignorance, greed, hunger, stupidity, laziness, destitution and convenience. The Thais excel in all of these things which is why there are few tigers, crocodiles or anything else in the wild slow enough to be caught, gutted, eaten or sold.

• 2 months later...
A mahout from Baan Chang Thai elephant camp noticed it eating a dog when he was out on his elephant. So he went back to the camp, got a gun and shot it. The skin was bought by Sabay Bar.

I was not a mahout from banchang Thai that killed the snake

it was a mahout from another elephant camp

I was shot 350 meter from the main road

The snake had a 17 kg dog inside

OH MY GODDD!!! i know it's terrible to kill it but sweet jeebus!! if i'd come across that on my daily stroll I'd die instantly of heart failure... looks like my daily stroll is now going to have to be a daily stroll with a tranquilizer dart gun! :)

... evidently the biggest snakes i've been confronted with in ko chang have only been babies ...

• 3 weeks later...