Airport Reentry Permit

I just lost my one year retirement visa because I did not know at the Airport, you can not get the re-entry permit anymore.

What a pain!

This goverment sure does not want to make it comfortable for us !

Going to the US, will go the consulate to get a new non immigrant visa than start over !

Anybody knows a better option ?

Thanks !

Yes, when applying for an extension or doing an address report at an immigration office, get a re-entry permit then. The airport situation has been discussed several times since they stopped issuing re-entry permits in January this year.

Edited by beechguy

Yes. As has been said on here many times. Always a good idea to get a Re Entry Permit from Immigration when you apply for your extension.

Learned the hard way, thanks to all of you !

Like they say ; Amazing Thailand ! any consumer conveniences to Thais or foreigners should be promptly discarded.

Regards

beechguy.

you are 100 % right .

they stopped issuing re-entry permits in January this year

after they put this notice up at swampypoom.

dave2

I don't know if they have signs posted at other immigration offices, but they do at Suan Plu. Unfortunately, soidog2, and others, may not need to go to immigration, so they don't get the information until it's too late, and it causes a major inconvenience.

Yes. As has been said on here many times. Always a good idea to get a Re Entry Permit from Immigration when you apply for your extension.

Great advice that unfortunately will be ignored by many in order to possibly save 1000 Baht per year. The old saying applies, you can lead horse to water but you can't make him drink.

A person should play it safe and "at least" get a single re-entry permit upon visa/extension of stay approval at a cost of 1000 Baht in case the person needs to jump on a plane immediately...and this will safeguard most people who travel back to their home/another country once a year. Then get another re-entry permit shortly after return to get back into the visa/extension of stay safe zone. Or, if person is a frequent traveler, then get the multiple re-entry permit at 3,900 Baht which would allow exit/entry of Thailand everyday if desired while maintaining the validity of the visa/extension of stay.

But even with above recommendation, it still amazes me that Thai immigration stopped the issue of re-entry permits at the main airports as I can't believe it really saves immigration any money; but it definitely creates additional cost and inconveniences for foreigners.

Which reminds me ...........

Leaving Chiang Mai on an international flight to KL you go past an immigration office that appears able to do re-entry permits.

Useful if you have an emergency flight out from CMX but not much use for the rest of the country!

Great advice that unfortunately will be ignored by many in order to possibly save 1000 Baht per year. The old saying applies, you can lead horse to water but you can't make him drink.

A person should play it safe and "at least" get a single re-entry permit upon visa/extension of stay approval at a cost of 1000 Baht in case the person needs to jump on a plane immediately...and this will safeguard most people who travel back to their home/another country once a year. Then get another re-entry permit shortly after return to get back into the visa/extension of stay safe zone. Or, if person is a frequent traveler, then get the multiple re-entry permit at 3,900 Baht which would allow exit/entry of Thailand everyday if desired while maintaining the validity of the visa/extension of stay.

But even with above recommendation, it still amazes me that Thai immigration stopped the issue of re-entry permits at the main airports as I can't believe it really saves immigration any money; but it definitely creates additional cost and inconveniences for foreigners.

Usually I do my extensions in KapCheong, just renewed the one year visa before the flight !

When I was there, nobody even whispered to me about the reentry permit stoppage at Suvarnabhumi and I didn’t dream they would stop issuing them.

It’s so purely and thoughtlessly Thai.

Of course If I knew about it, I would have gotten one.

Usually I do my extensions in KapCheong, just renewed the one year visa before the flight !

When I was there, nobody even whispered to me about the reentry permit stoppage at Suvarnabhumi and I didn't dream they would stop issuing them.

It's so purely and thoughtlessly Thai.

Of course If I knew about it, I would have gotten one.

Widespread, timely, and clear immigration policy cross-feed/changes is definitely not a Thai Immigration strong point. Sometimes the posting on a wall of a handwritten sign in the Thai language of a pending change is how the policy is disseminated to farangs.

IMHO, sometimes I think Thai Immigration expects ThaiVisaForum members to take the pictures of the posters announcing changes, accomplish the translation, and get the word out to farangs.

Yeap, plenty of room for improvement in their information dissemination process. Clear and timely English postings (since immigration sometimes seems to make overnight major changes in policy) on the Thai Immigration web site would go a long way in making a major improvement--I can dream can't I!!! :)

Last time I was at Suan Plu I saw a sign to the effect:

To handle the increased load of re-entry permits being processed at Suan Plu, they are now open from 8 to 12 on Saturday.

I hafta go down there later this week and will take a pic of the sign to make sure I read it correctly.

I have never ever seen a customer at the online re-entry permit window they have called "Stop and Stamp" or some catchy name. I believe it might be the way to go, especially as a poster mentioned a 10 minute turn around. Lately the re-entry permit queue line is the longest and most time consuming one to wait for.