Best Linguist Around And Best Farang Thai Speaker I Have Heard!

vedantafx

...language can still be sexy!

Now that reads like the PERFECT title for an article about a linguist/polyglot :)

Btw - Thanks for the pics... as well as the pdf downloads... I've sent the pdfs to be printed (my printer can't do them justice), and will look at them later on tonight.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...language can still be sexy!

Now that reads like the PERFECT title for an article about a linguist/polyglot :)

Btw - Thanks for the pics... as well as the pdf downloads... I've sent the pdfs to be printed (my printer can't do them justice), and will look at them later on tonight.

I have an explanation on the chart here -

http://stujay.blogspot.com/2009/01/wadafra...stuart-jay.html

I'm sitting in my hotel room in the Bahamas just returning from rehearsals downstairs for the 2009 Miss Universe pageant. I'm interpreting for Miss Indonesia and Miss Thailand. I've been fortunate enough to have this Miss Universe gig since 2005 when it was held in Bangkok.

Kudos to you Stu! I'm looking forward to your return to Thailand (when you'll have more free time to answer emails and all).

As for the rest of you guys... just how many of you are now kicking your shins for NOT taking a more serious interest in languages? :)

Ahh yes Desi!... It's nice to know that language can still be sexy! It's definitely good motivation :D

Great pictures...and many thanks for the earlier post.

Nice to see you're not having to rough it in the Bahamas! :D

He is one clever guy. Got to give him 10 out of 10 :)

I have enough trouble with my first language of English :D

Please find Part 1 of the 5 video's

Boycie.

I hear you loud and clear.... ....English is my third and I am doing worst. I give him 10...Thanks for posting.

Jay,

Thanks for your reply!

The Bahamas episode. A mass of personal contradictions...I am trying to dislike you but it just ain't happening.

Oddly enough I am thinking 'envy' and seeing the colour green. Synesthesia rearing its head or just plain association?

What I really admire is your enthusiasm and the manner in which you have applied your skills in business as well as academic fields ...the pagaent is a wonderful left-field example to cite!

Jay,

Thanks for your reply!

The Bahamas episode. A mass of personal contradictions...I am trying to dislike you but it just ain't happening.

Oddly enough I am thinking 'envy' and seeing the colour green. Synesthesia rearing its head or just plain association?

What I really admire is your enthusiasm and the manner in which you have applied your skills in business as well as academic fields ...the pagaent is a wonderful left-field example to cite!

5555 ... seriously. When I'm learning a language, I try and find as many things as possible to surround myself with that will motivate me to learn that language. The Miss Universe pageant each year pretty much comes as close to the golden bullet as one could get in the motivation department :)

The interpreter team that I work with with Miss Universe each year is also an awesome group of people. Each one of them polyglots / language and linguistic nuts. I look forward to our dinner conversations each year ... where language, business and sex are always rolled into one!

Anyway on the Tom Minster show it was said he can speak at native level in 15 languages meaning he can speak, read and write,

With all due respects to the guy because he is extremely skilled and has a level of Thai I can only dream of but in my humble opinion words like "speak at native level" means to understand and use such things as slang, word play, subtle nuances, double meanings etc in every given situation and understanding them in the context of the situation. To me the best non native speaker in any language can't speak at true native level. They're just very, very, very, very good.

I don't have enough experience to say whether or not Stu is native level, as in: 'slang, word play, subtle nuances, double meanings etc in every given situation and understanding them in the context of the situation'...

But in the classes I had with Stu, he was very much into giving examples of all of the above.

A couple of times he got this cheeky 'I'm going to get caught' look on his face, then he'd explain away. Slang, word play, nuances, it was all in good fun. Sometimes clean. Sometimes not. But all fun.

And I have no doubt that if given the chance (and spare time), Stu could do a ten week course on that subject alone. He was clearly enjoying himself that much (and depending on the subject, he might even have held back at times due to there being a lass in the class).

But like I mentioned, I am not experienced enough to be able to judge. But if Stu uploaded a session on YouTube, I'd be the first one to download, and I'm sure there would be many more to follow.