Thailand To Build Six Super Max Jails For Drug Offenders

george

Having said that, in the perfect world there would be plenty more jails and I would be running them :D ....none of that crap on my shift :)

In a perfect world, surely there would be no need for prisons...?

TAWP, Whilst ur statement is true, please don't upset me, theres some of us out there (past time for me) that actually take some evil joy in trying to fill those places up with assssholes. If you took all the assssholes out of the world we would need to get real jobs where heavy labour or something was involved.

You will never remove vermin from society, its everywhere. Having been inside a few prisons my only real problem is that some of them offer far too many creature comforts and theres not enuf of them OR MORE TO THE POINT, there are too many Magistrates and Judges who are so far out of touch with reality its not funny and are too busy releasing gubs back into the community so they can continue to terrorise the decent people in society, the weak and the vunerable.

Surely there are more deserving individuals than drug offenders for these prisons....i.e. murders, rapists, peadophiles....

I understand the need to keep drugs out of the prison but i always presumed that the REAL big drug offenders didn't use their product, just abused the people. Unless of course these super max prisons are for poor souls addicted to yabba etc and need kept away from it - surely a rehab, education and drug councellor would be cheaper and more appropriate and constructive for them....

I agree 100%. There are around 92 rapes cases reported every month. Most offenders including pedophiles, have been released several times. I think that a sentence based on HARD LABOUR would reduce a lot this cases where so many children and young people see their future destroyed as well as of their families. There are laws that should be reviewed soon. To invest in lost cases such as murders, rapists and pedophiles is utopy and it doesn't help anyone. Just my opinion!

A grid of wires across the roof and a transmiter tuned to block the

same three basic frequencies putting out white noise would do it.

Not to expensive either.

They can *impede* cell phone use this way, but I'm not so convinced they can *block* it without engineering it from the start. Not sure how well this would work, if it would have complete coverage or cause unwanted interference. Also, I wonder how difficult snipping those retrofitted wires would be.

Location is a bit more difficult.

MUCH more difficult, given human ingenuity. Make a quick call, take the battery out, relocate the phone (assuming you're making the call when not in the cell). By the time they pick up on it, locate it and dispatch the guards, it's already too late... or even stealthier, don't connect to the network (Flight mode), then collect / send out SMS in bulk in a brief period. A minute should do it, and you don't even need to take the phone out of your pocket during that time.

Easier, just pay off the guards. This is trivial if you're important enough that your phone use would represent a public threat (e.g. mafia boss). If you're small fish, too bad, you need to be creative.

You can buy and build cell phone jammers easily (although this would be illegal in many countries) - you just have to generate enough noise in the right spectrum and no real signal can get through. They would be installed in movie theaters around the world if it wasn't for doctors and people with other occupations where lives depend on them being contactable. They are used by law enforcement to block mobile phone signals during bomb scares since this is a common way of detonation. Just google for 'cellphone jammer' and you will find ready built handheld devices, devices designed for prisons and a whole spectrum in between. There is no point locating a useless phone, but people do like their toys and the budgets with which to buy them.

Of course, you want to saturate the complex across all frequencies if you really want a secure environment - its not rocket science putting a signal in a gap between TV stations for instance. You might need to put your computers in a metal cage and shield your phone lines if you go to this extent.

Its surprising they need a special budget for something like this. Well, maybe not surprising. It wouldn't be the first time lots of money got sent to a well connected company when a 16 year old with a soldering iron and a schematic would do just as well.

Surely there are more deserving individuals than drug offenders for these prisons....i.e. murders, rapists, peadophiles....

I understand the need to keep drugs out of the prison but i always presumed that the REAL big drug offenders didn't use their product, just abused the people. Unless of course these super max prisons are for poor souls addicted to yabba etc and need kept away from it - surely a rehab, education and drug councellor would be cheaper and more appropriate and constructive for them....

If you build prisons for drug dealers, you might be able to get the money from countries and interest groups engaged in 'the war on drugs'.

Spending this sort of money on prisons would help perception of Thailands treatment of human rights - there have been too many stories in the press and several books about people chained up without enough room to even lay down. Stripped naked in chains or a bullet in the brain is more secure than 'super max', but doesn't sit that well with current morals nor does it provide photo opportunities and big budgets for politicians.

The term "drug offender" is an extremely vague term and is constantly used to lump users in with dealers, traffickers and manufacturers. Are we talking about a casual user? Or are we talking about a drug kingpin? Those two people are on the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of evilness, and whether or not they are deserving of a long stay in a supermax.

Drug Prohibition is the problem--NOT the solution

Drug prohibition is completely ineffective in reducing drug use. It is effective in reducing civil liberties, wasting taxpayer money, and creating militarized police forces. The prison-industrial complex in the United States loves drug prohibition. It is the reason for their existence and profits. What's especially unfortunate is that the U.S. has succeeded in exporting drug prohibition and the so-called "war on drugs" around the globe, including to Siam.

For some absurd non-reason I lack the necessary permissions to post a link. To learn why former drug warriors are calling for drug peace, search on: leap law enforcement against prohibition

Drug prohibition is completely ineffective in reducing drug use. It is effective in reducing civil liberties, wasting taxpayer money, and creating militarized police forces. The prison-industrial complex in the United States loves drug prohibition. It is the reason for their existence and profits. What's especially unfortunate is that the U.S. has succeeded in exporting drug prohibition and the so-called "war on drugs" around the globe, including to Siam.

For some absurd non-reason I lack the necessary permissions to post a link. To learn why former drug warriors are calling for drug peace, search on: leap law enforcement against prohibition

You wouldnt happen to be a friend of ourmaninbangers would you? Is that you ingers? Surely theres not too many others out there? :)

there is a lot of talk about drugs in prisons and the use of mobile phones

well the answer is simple and I thought tailand had the answer

death to the drug dealers and no bull shit with lenghty trails (a fair trail) where lawerys make heaps

and if drugs found in the prisons or mobile phones then find the guard that helped get them in and put them in prison also

now we know it goes on not only in thailand but in every country in the world

lets not say the prisoners are corupt it is the system that is corupt

fix the system

There's no parcels allowed in to Klongprem Prison, there's no handling of shopping, by visitors to Klongprem. There's censorship and examination of letters.

But, hey, there are more drugs and violence in there than ever.

Where can the drugs be coming from............ :)

You wouldnt happen to be a friend of ourmaninbangers would you? Is that you ingers? Surely theres not too many others out there? :)

There are many of us who through the use of logic and personal knowledge believe that making drugs legal is the best solution to the drug problem.

I worked for years in corrections as a nurse. It was amazing to me that more than half of the inmates were imprisoned for non-violent drug offenses. In the US we spend approximately $50000 a year per inmate toward this feudal cause. There is no funding for drug rehab programs and drugs are easier to obtain in prison than on the streets.

Legalizing drugs eliminates the violent drug trade. More than 6000 murders by drug gangs occurred in 2008. The war on drugs is a complete failure. Countries with the death penalty for users and dealers still have huge numbers of users and addicts e.g. China where you get a bullet to the back of the head for drug offenses.

And think of the revenue that can be gained by the government through the taxing of these substances. On top of that illegally produced and distributed drugs are often contaminated, there is no quality control. HIV and many other blood borne illnesses run rampant because of the reuse of needles. Legalization and distribution of clean needles eliminates this. I could go on and on.

It has had the same effect as the prohibition of alcohol in the US.

Many social problems have been attributed to the Prohibition era. Mafia groups limited their activities to gambling and thievery until 1920, when organized bootlegging manifested in response to the effect of Prohibition.[12] A profitable, often violent, black market for alcohol flourished. Powerful gangs corrupted law enforcement agencies, leading to Racketeering. Stronger liquor surged in popularity because its potency made it more profitable to smuggle.

The cost of enforcing Prohibition was high, and the lack of tax revenues on alcohol (some $500 million annually nationwide) affected government coffers.

When repeal of Prohibition occurred in 1933, organized crime lost nearly all of its black market alcohol profits in most states (states still had the right to enforce their own laws concerning alcohol consumption) because of competition with low-priced alcohol sales at legal liquor stores. -Wikipedia

The "War on Drugs" is just as effective as Alcohol prohibition was. The only way to eliminate the use of drugs is nuking the entire planet. No humans, no addicts.. :D

Why don't they spend some money on infrastructure.

I call mega-project. Hogs at the trough. Which politician is calling for this project. Is he "unusally rich" :)

Will the worst offenders--cigarette smokers and alcoholics--be included? :D

Whatever prisons are built in Thailand I hope that they are humane places. The current Thai prison system is an international disgrace. Many of the more hard line members here don't particularly care about the conditions that prisoners in Thailand endure. While it is perfectly acceptable for a state to imprison offenders, it is unacceptable to house prisoners in degrading and inhumane conditions. The objective of a prison is to remove a persons freedom while they are punished for a crime. This should be carried out in a humane way. Prisoners should be allowed to live in a clean and hygienic environment and not suffer from the severe overcrowding that Thai prisons are infamous for. It is not uncommon for Thai people who commit crimes to die as a result of the inadequate hygiene and lack of segregation of inmates who are infected with TB, HIV and other communicable diseases. This situation is a disgrace and Thailand needs to clean up it's act. So I welcome the prospect of new prisons, I only hope that the Thai's can abide by international conventions on human rights for prisoners, something which is severely lacking now.

I retired from NY Dept. of Corrections after 25 years and one of my job assignments as lieutenant was preventing contraband, such as cellphones, from entering the prison. The fact is it is very easy to smuggle drugs, which can be swallowed or shoved up the butt during visits, into the facility. However, cellphones are another matter. We had no major problem with cellphones being smuggled in packages as they are all x-rayed. The problem was some of the guards would bring them to work, which is a fireable offense, and inmates would steal them. The guard would not report it as he would be fired. There have been occassions where corrupt staff allowed inmates to use their phones, also. These were rare cases and not worth installing phone detectors everywhere, but the dept. had a technical services mobile van which would park outside various facilities with surveillance equipment and check for inmates, or staff members for that matter, using cell phones inside.