Apple Service Provider In Cm?

minuit3101

can anyone tell me if there's an apple store or an apple service provider in chiang mai? all i've found on the apple website is an ONLINE store for thailand. i need to get my cd drive fixed on my macbook! if there IS an apple store, does anyone know how long they usually take for repairs?

thanks in advance!

There's a shop on the third floor of the airport plaza. But i think the place you need is on that long sounding road name that runs parallel to, and one block south of, nimminhimmin road. In other words drive up huay gaow road from central and at the first main traffic lights intersection turn left. The apple shop is along there on the right hand side somewhere.

I know only because i'm seriously thinking of getting my first apple computer. I've not been into the shop before, but i do recall seeing it there before i was thinking of buying an apple. They do three hour sessions free on saturday mornings apparently to help new users get their way round the new system.

It will be interesting to me if you do get it fixed there. One of my thoughts about buying an apple is what happens if i need technical support or to fix something.

yep your correct on your instructions to find both apple stores, and to add my ten%, i changed to apple about 18mths ago, and would never go back to pc's, macs are so much simplier, and i'm not a computer geek, far from it, more a dinosaur, but i personally think they are fab.

MacZone is an authorized service provider located just south of the junction of Huey Kaew and Sirimangkalajan roads ( a "T" intersection with a traffic signal). This junction is just west of Kad Suan Kaew and before Hillside 4 as you travel west. Telephone: 053.22.4058 - 59.

They know what they are doing.

Edited by Mapguy

can anyone tell me if there's an apple store or an apple service provider in chiang mai? all i've found on the apple website is an ONLINE store for thailand. i need to get my cd drive fixed on my macbook! if there IS an apple store, does anyone know how long they usually take for repairs?

thanks in advance!

The Apple shop on the third floor of the airport plaza has done great work for me and should be able to handle all your issues or direct you where you need to go. Nice people, they know the stuff and not expensive. My issues were software related and they took care of them during the same day including a new system install and doing a new HD partition with windows XP.

yep your correct on your instructions to find both apple stores, and to add my ten%, i changed to apple about 18mths ago, and would never go back to pc's, macs are so much simplier, and i'm not a computer geek, far from it, more a dinosaur, but i personally think they are fab.

This is a common refrain! Tell me, for work i use microsoft word a lot. I would need the apple to have an equivalent program to microsoft's word. How does apple do on this?

And, do you use their safari web browser?

The Apple shop on the third floor of the airport plaza has done great work for me and should be able to handle all your issues or direct you where you need to go. Nice people, they know the stuff and not expensive. My issues were software related and they took care of them during the same day including a new system install and doing a new HD partition with windows XP.

Is this the bit where you can open your mac in a sort of parallel world and use the suite of microsoft's software? And if so, then how do they stop viruses aimed at windows' users? I keep hearing how almost impossible it is to get a virus on a mac, but if they have windows' software on, how can this be?

This is a common refrain! Tell me, for work i use microsoft word a lot. I would need the apple to have an equivalent program to microsoft's word. How does apple do on this?

There is an Apple version of M. Word (and the whole Office package) so there is no problem at all.

Safari works much better than Explorer in my view and for my type of use, but it does have a tendency to quit for unexplained reasons, many people prefer to use Firefox which is really good.

Is this the bit where you can open your mac in a sort of parallel world and use the suite of microsoft's software? And if so, then how do they stop viruses aimed at windows' users? I keep hearing how almost impossible it is to get a virus on a mac, but if they have windows' software on, how can this be?

The computer can be set up into 2 actually separated computers by using Bootcamp software from Apple. 2 partitions in the hard disk, one for Apple and another one for Windows, you choose how much space for each one. When you turn on the computer, it will start up as an Apple computer unless you press the option key, at which point you get the choice of starting as Apple or Windows. This would be a native version of Windows by the way, full speed and power. Since they are 2 separated computers using different sections of the hard disk, what happens in one doesn't affect the other. You can get viruses in the windows sections and all that other crap that often floats around the windows environment, but stays there, in the windows section, so no problem at all. I've used Apple for many years and I still have to see any virus, etc and I don't have to use anti virus software, etc.

Other options are to use simulated windows software that operates in the Apple desktop so that you can switch between both operating systems but that didn't work as well for me. Using the first option you have 2 computers in the same package, you just have to turn one off in order to start the other one, that's all.

There is an Apple version of M. Word (and the whole Office package) so there is no problem at all.

Safari works much better than Explorer in my view and for my type of use, but it does have a tendency to quit for unexplained reasons, many people prefer to use Firefox which is really good.

That sounds like good news to me! Does this office software come with the price of the computer do you know?

I already use firefox, just wondering about safari. Interesting.

Other options are to use simulated windows software that operates in the Apple desktop so that you can switch between both operating systems but that didn't work as well for me. Using the first option you have 2 computers in the same package, you just have to turn one off in order to start the other one, that's all.

Thanks for the info. I thought that was the way it worked when i looked at it all last week. But my other question remains: do apple provide any software of their own that does pretty much what microsoft word does? Then i'd not need any windows stuff at all.

That sounds like good news to me! Does this office software come with the price of the computer do you know?

Oh come on, we are in Thailand, it's not supposed to come with it.............but off course they'll install a copy of it and others as part of the deal of buying the computer and Pantip also has it for 100 or 200 baht (not a legal copy).

Safari is really fast and has a great bookmarking system, just don't know why it quits often. It is the main one that I use.

Thanks for the info. I thought that was the way it worked when i looked at it all last week. But my other question remains: do apple provide any software of their own that does pretty much what microsoft word does? Then i'd not need any windows stuff at all.

femi fan - take a look at openoffice.org, I have not used it on a Mac but there is a version for Macs. I ditched MS Office some time back and have been quite happy with OpenOffice, for your MS Word needs you would just need to remember to save as a .doc when sharing with MS users. OpenOffice is open source software and therefore free, although donations/participation are encouraged but not required.

JxP

But my other question remains: do apple provide any software of their own that does pretty much what microsoft word does? Then i'd not need any windows stuff at all.

Yes, Apple has a word processor and spread sheet program plus some other stuff that is similar in function to the Microsoft Office stuff.

you can DL Safari for yr PC now Safari download and try it out

I have it in my PC, but I prefer Firefox. The Safari skin has a grey industrial look to it but the fonts are nice

The Apple counter on the 3rd floor of Airport Plaza is run by the same people as the Store on Sirimangkalajan Rd. You can go to either place and get excellent service.

Apple's Microsoft Office equivalent is iWork. It costs about 3k baht, but if you order a Mac from Apple's Thailand online store, you can get a 1k baht discount when buying iWork. iWork will open most Word, Powerpoint and Excel files as well as save to those formats although things aren't always completely smooth. iWork's 'Keynote' module (the Powerpoint equivalent) is a joy to use and as close to magic as any software I've used.

A Mac version of Microsoft office is available, expensive and really quite unnecessary for general users. I've got by without it for years.

The latest version of the Safari browser is very stable and the fastest one among the many Mac browsers. Firefox is the most feature-rich and there's plenty of bells and whistles add-ons to download for free.

The lowest end Mac is more than adequate for most purposes. Just makes sure it's got at least 2GB RAM and at least a 320GB Hard disk

best of both worlds, because you can run Windows and Windows apps as well while protecting the mac part from viruses, spyware and worms.

Mac viruses are rare, but not completely unknown. Take sensible precautions by avoiding downloads from unknown sites. I run anti-virus software updated regularly, but over the years it's yet to prove itself any use apart from giving me peace of mind.

Every new Mac comes with iLife software ('iPhoto' for photo organization and manipulation, 'iWeb' for creating your own blogs, 'Garageband' for music creation and mixing and iCal calendar app as well as iMovie for movie making/editing), email software, built in camera (except the Mac mini), iChat for instant messaging and video chat over the internet, and iTunes for organizing and playing your music.

I like lists with an even '10' but I can't think of '9' and '10'

I don't work for Apple or any Apple re-seller, though I wish I did. Browsing at the Apple counter at Airport Plaza once, I sold a laptop for them when talking to a stranger who was also browsing there. You've been warned.

Edited by Thakkar

femi fan - take a look at openoffice.org, I have not used it on a Mac but there is a version for Macs. I ditched MS Office some time back and have been quite happy with OpenOffice, for your MS Word needs you would just need to remember to save as a .doc when sharing with MS users. OpenOffice is open source software and therefore free, although donations/participation are encouraged but not required.

JxP

I have openoffice on my Mac and works great, it does open MS Office files with no problems at all, can definitely recommend it.

thanks for the info! and, those of you thinking of getting macs.... just do it!!! you won't regret it!!!!!!

Very true, once you try a Mac, you see Windows for what it is (a s....#@^?**load of crap that also doubles as a cash cow for the guys in Redmond) and you don't go back to it unless you have to deal with software not available for the Mac or work in particular applications where you are stock on Windows. More and more software steadily comes to the Mac, but if you still need to use Windows, you can always run it native on a Intel based Mac also. Cheers.

Yes, OpenOffice does work fine, but it is very slow and somewhat awkward compared with the Mac version of MS Office. Haven't tried the Apple version of the suite. I think MSOffice 2008 is worth the investment.

Otherwise, yes, there have been/are Mac viruses, but nothing to talk about. The best Mac antivirus program I have come across is ClamxAV. Try it out. Don't waste your money on expensive stuff.

Safari is fine, and there is some nominal advantage of sticking with Apple on this browser, but Firefox is great. Really personal preference here, I would think.

I really don't understand why anyone would use Windows, a system with which I am quite familiar in its various iterations. This has most to do with the fact we are all creatures of habit, I suppose.

The "hit" about limited programs for a MAc is absurd except, maybe, gamesters. The "hit" about high cost is also not quite accurate if you factor in what comes bundled with the Mac. Regarding quality of hardware and technical support, there simply is no comparison. They don't break very often and last almost forever. Buy the protection plan for super service for three years. Silly not to. What's your time worth?

Still want to go cheap cheap? Go ahead.

Edited by Mapguy

<snip>

iWork's 'Keynote' module (the Powerpoint equivalent) is a joy to use and as close to magic as any software I've used.

<snip>

i second all points :-) esp, re "keynote"... very well said na

for those of us who are windows users & who'd "get a feel" for keynote's excellence... there's an online version available, created by 2 apple developers, 280slides

http://280slides.com/

A Mac version of Microsoft office is available, expensive and really quite unnecessary for general users. I've got by without it for years.

Unless you are in a corporate environment and need to connect to an Exchange server. Apple Mail, Address book, and iCal do NOT support Exchange. You must use Entourage (Ms Outlook clone) from the MS Office 2008 for Mac bundle.

The upcoming release of OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) is supposed to finally rectify this. OSX 10.6 is slated to ship in September and will be $29 USD.

-Mestizo

Some good advice and tips here. Thanks to those who replied to me. I'm getting closer to committing my money on a mac...

If anyone's bought one here in chiang mai, what can i expect to come as part of the stated price? For example i'm not even sure if the price includes the keyboard, never mind exactly what software will come with it.

I also see there are remote and wired keyboards. For some reason my instincts tell me to avoid the wireless one. Any thoughts?

Oh, what about sound? Do mac users get excellent built in speakers, or should i expect to continue using my current speaker set-up if i buy a mac?

I have to say, i can't recall anybody who has a mac not extolling its benefits! And i've never heard of somebody complaining about it.

Some good advice and tips here. Thanks to those who replied to me. I'm getting closer to committing my money on a mac...

If anyone's bought one here in chiang mai, what can i expect to come as part of the stated price? For example i'm not even sure if the price includes the keyboard, never mind exactly what software will come with it.

I also see there are remote and wired keyboards. For some reason my instincts tell me to avoid the wireless one. Any thoughts?

Oh, what about sound? Do mac users get excellent built in speakers, or should i expect to continue using my current speaker set-up if i buy a mac?

I have to say, i can't recall anybody who has a mac not extolling its benefits! And i've never heard of somebody complaining about it.

The wireless (bluetooth) are not bad. If you are going to go that route, I would suggest you buy 2 sets of rechargeable batteries.

Another couple points on the mice, tho:

1.) Apple mice are not really user serviceable. The rolling ball on top (basically the same as the scroll wheel on a PC mouse, but in a spherical shape) often gets dirty, gummed up, and doesn't work correctly. Very difficult to clean (google for it.) I've had pretty good luck squirting it with monitor or cd cleaner and working it out that way. However, there are some people that say roll it upside down on a piece of paper. Be very careful not to apply too much pressure doing this, as the side rollers internally next to the ball are plastic and WILL break. I've done it.

2.) This may sound weird, but I find the wireless mouse too "heavy". As someone who uses a mouse 12-18 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week, the additional weight of 2 AA batteries (as small as that actually is), becomes strangely noticeable during the day. I much prefer my wired mouse.

3.) A regular USB PC mouse works just find on a mac. However, once you get used to the superior feel of the apple mouse, its hard to go back to the PC version.

4.) Statement #3 applies for all day to day normal work use. However, there is one caveat. When I play a game on my mac, I will often switch back to a decent logitech PC mouse. Just seems to feel better when gaming.

-Mestizo

Mestizo, Thanks for MUG info, I might drop in at Tuskers. I'm one of those (semi) retirees—quite unlike the normoal folk—you mentioned.

I have the blue tooth (wireless) Apple mouse and Mestizo is right—it gets heavy after a while. Still, it's handy to have around when all you want to do is lean back on your chair and just surf or read a very long file. You can do so comfortably with the mouse on your lap.

All macs, except for the Mac mini come with everything you'll need. With the Mac Mini, the mouse keyboard and monitor are optional. All macs will work with any USB or bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The Tower design professional macs also come without monitors.

You can get your macs either from the Airport Plaza/Sirimankalajan shop or at Apple Thailand online store (www.store.apple.com/th) Prices are the same everywhere. I like the personal touch at the physical store. Your new mac will come with a fully operational 30-day trial version of iWork so you can try before buying.

The wireless keyboard (will cost you extra) is great but doesn't come with a separate numeric keypad, which doesn't sound too bad—until you have to input a lot of numbers in a spreadsheet or database.

The build-in speakers on an iMac are stereo and pretty good but hardly great. You'll probably be able to use your existing external speakers on any mac you buy.

Software: with the inclusion of the iWork trial, you'll get all you'll need to get started. Visit the Apple store site for details and then the local shop.

I use with my Mac Mini, and prefer, the wireless keyboard and wireless mouse.

I went to the apple store in the road with a long name today. Excellent service in answering all my questions. They did play some music for me to sample the sound system, but i really need to hear my own to make a proper comparison.

I was told i'd get iLife free, but would have to pay for iWork. Fine.

I was also told they're not sure when the new snow leopard software would be out. I'm thinking now of waiting until it is out, on the net it seems about september time. Not sure about this, because i'm also now excited about getting a mac.

I'll definitely get the wired versions of keyboard and mouse.

I'll also try and get to a few sessions at tuskers perhaps before buying.

The store invited me to come to their saturday sessions which currently are only in thai, but the lady at the store said they speak english too. I was also comforted that they have the full technical back-up available in chiang mai, but everything i've read and heard thus far indicates i won't need that very often...

Apple just announced their record results for the second quarter, with more and more Macs being sold. One detail caught my eye: over half the Mac computers sold in the second quarter were sold to people who had never used a Mac before. Looks like there be some switching going on.