The Kebab Shop Rankings

cali4995

seriously, i enjoy the occasional kebab and much to my dismay, shops i previously frequented are now giving "tiny"

kebabs at the same 60 baht price or the taste just isn't what it should be but recently i discovered a kebab shop

on 2nd road, up from south pattaya intersection. not the first shop but the second about 100m up. (think they're

both arab run) anyway this shop is attended to by a pleasantly round Thai woman who gives HUGE kebabs. she

start with a 12 inch tortilla, not the miniscule 6 inch jobs some shops are passing off. it's FULL of chicken and

whatever else you desire from the abundant condiments bar. i'm not affiliated with this joint i was just so tickled

to find a place that was trying to run an honest business. i challenge you to find a better kebab shop? really?(he-he)

seriously, i enjoy the occasional kebab...

i'm pretty sure this is going to be the best thread of the day. we're taking you VERY seriously, bro. at this point, i guess i'd pay somewhere around 250baht to have you film this entire post in full reality, live and on the street and set it to the Beastie Boy's "Girls" song. youtube it, i'll wait.

seriously, i enjoy the occasional kebab and much to my dismay, shops i previously frequented are now giving "tiny"

kebabs at the same 60 baht price or the taste just isn't what it should be but recently i discovered a kebab shop

on 2nd road, up from south pattaya intersection. not the first shop but the second about 100m up. (think they're

both arab run) anyway this shop is attended to by a pleasantly round Thai woman who gives HUGE kebabs. she

start with a 12 inch tortilla, not the miniscule 6 inch jobs some shops are passing off. it's FULL of chicken and

whatever else you desire from the abundant condiments bar. i'm not affiliated with this joint i was just so tickled

to find a place that was trying to run an honest business. i challenge you to find a better kebab shop? really?(he-he)

I know there are now two kebab setups on the street within 30 m of the intersection of Pattaya Tai and 2nd Road on the right heading north.

Is the second (most northerly) of these the one you're referring to?

I can't stand those chewy, stringy beef kebabs and the slimy chicken ones are even worse. The only kebabs I will eat are those from Electric Blue fast food in Soi Diamond - genuine lamb doner kebabs, with mint sauce if you want it, though I prefer chilli sauce. Nothing better after a night out on the beer than a spicy lamb doner kebab. Sadly, Electric Blue has closed its doors for the low season, there's just not enough customers around to keep it going 24 hours a day. :) I hope it re-opens if/when the high season returns...

I agree the food is very good. They used to be located across from the Avenue. Back then the beef kebabs were 50 baht. Now the price is 70 baht. Very good service and big portions.

I agree the food is very good. They used to be located across from the Avenue. Back then the beef kebabs were 50 baht. Now the price is 70 baht. Very good service and big portions.

I would love a Gyro "kebob." I have never seen one in Pattaya.

They are normally 1000000000 times better than those chicken or pork on a metal stick things that they serve.

The Greek bread is better, the sauce is better, and the meat is so much better.

It must be very expensive to make/import or it would be here.

One taste of a genuine Greek gyro sandwich and people would stop eating all the rest of the stuff.

It WAS the best thread of the day (he-he) Yes, I think it's the same folks who used to be across from the avenue but

I guess rents were changed and they moved way down near the south pattaya rd intersection. Being as they are

authentic (what Turkish?) I suspect proper ingredients? quality does vary wildly with the meats and preparation.

it is the 2nd shop up from the junction that I was referring to. The thai lady wears a white chefs blouse and they

give considerably more than the adjacent shop? competition perhaps? and they're NICE. like wow i'm breathless.(he-he)

Better directions please!

Junction of Pattaya Tai & 2nd Road - 2nd Road heading towards walking street or away from walking street?

I kinda think your taking about a place near the 2nd road entrance to Soi Diamond?

I've been called a food snob before and to manifest this accusation once again:

The sauce! No ketchup and/or mayo allowed, in fact it should be a yoghurt sauce with garlic and maybe cucumber. Harissa instead of chilies, but be it. The dried ground chilies are good enough (see, I can be lenient even when it comes to proper food..)

So please report back, do those stalls use proper sauce or the ketchup/mayo variant?

Pleased to hear!

This place is heading "north" from the intersection of south pattaya rd? i've not been to soi diamond yet? Yes Raro,

i know of what you speak, in particular the garlic sauce does really give it good flavor? this particular shop uses

a very slight amount of sauce? it is not oozing over your shirtfront? but yet i can't say for sure whether it is this

yoghurt-based stuff? i'll more attention next time? it is arab-owned, i figured it was all legitimate, approved (he-he)

The sauce! No ketchup and/or mayo allowed, in fact it should be a yoghurt sauce with garlic and maybe cucumber. Harissa instead of chilies, but be it. The dried ground chilies are good enough (see, I can be lenient even when it comes to proper food..)

So please report back, do those stalls use proper sauce or the ketchup/mayo variant?

Never seen the proper sauces in Pattaya. No Harissa. Sweet cheap Thai ketchup. No yogurt. The garlic sauce is OK. One time one these places ruined by wrap by loading it with that awful ketchup before I could stop them.

This place is heading "north" from the intersection of south pattaya rd? i've not been to soi diamond yet? Yes Raro,

i know of what you speak, in particular the garlic sauce does really give it good flavor? this particular shop uses

a very slight amount of sauce? it is not oozing over your shirtfront? but yet i can't say for sure whether it is this

yoghurt-based stuff? i'll more attention next time? it is arab-owned, i figured it was all legitimate, approved (he-he)

All valid points you raise, Cali!

The sauce must have the right amount of flavour so that small amounts of sauce achieve sufficient seasoning. Too much sauce, as you pointed out very well, will ooze over your shirt and decreases your level of handsomeness by at least two notches.

It must be yogurt based, mayo is a strict no-no.

Being Arab means nothing. I spoke to one Arab offering me a mayo infested Doner and asked him whether he would dare to sell it in his home country (I am sure Shariah has its dreadful measures to prevent such crimes against good taste!) and his reply was something like this is Pattaya, who cares.

But as Monty Python said...Never be rude to an Arab!

How's about the Istanbul Kebab House, opposite the entrance to Soi 7 on 2nd Road. I went there a while ago and that was alright, if not a little expensive at 90 Baht.

Then for those on the darkside, the Chippy up past Chockchai Garden Home on Soi Khao Noi does Lamb Kebabs also. Worth a try if you're passing.

Actually I hate the Chicken Kebabs. Where to find (downtown) Beef or Lamb Kebab? Or a real Turkish Style Doener (no Mayo! but nice spicy garlic sauce)?

Thanks and Cheers!

:)

Hi,

Not my all-time favorite, or anything, but around here you might try...

KEBAB (that's all the sign says!) on Soi Whitehouse, off Jomtien Beach Road. Kebab Plate: Good pita (warm); lotta chicken (coulda had pork, woulda loved lamb but...) with good sauce; lotta fries (crispy shoestrings); fresh salad with good dressing; and a nice cup of garlic sauce on the side... 145 baht, and full mak mak! Good luck, farang!

-Michael (for the budget gourmets) away!

:D

How's about the Istanbul Kebab House, opposite the entrance to Soi 7 on 2nd Road. I went there a while ago and that was alright, if not a little expensive at 90 Baht.

Then for those on the darkside, the Chippy up past Chockchai Garden Home on Soi Khao Noi does Lamb Kebabs also. Worth a try if you're passing.

I second the Instanbul Kebab House. It's the first lamb kebab I found in pattaya, go there every few days for a snack.

Those two Arabs used to be near the Wonderful Bar on Second Rd and they did indeed serve up the best and biggest kebabs in Pattaya, and then they were only 50 bt. They are Egyptians married to Thai ladies and speak pretty good English. I assume these are same people as I have not seen them at their old location for some time now.

I/d agree with the first half of your post Istanbul Kebab house is ok but that chippy up Khao Noi is the pits.

I would be very careful eating from this place - here's why - myself and 2 friends purchased kebabs from this place - several hours later, all 3 of us were at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital - 2 of us spent 2 days in Hospital suffering severe food poisoning and having to be pumped with antibiotics to kill the baterium.

I am not a tourist, and I eat regularly at open Thai markets, and very rarely get sick, but this was one hel_l of a ride - be warned

Edited by seadoo

I/d agree with the first half of your post Istanbul Kebab house is ok but that chippy up Khao Noi is the pits.

I'll be happy to retract that part, because I re-visited the place on Wednesday and you are right - now it is the pits. The price is 150 Baht for lamb kebab and the service was borderline crap. When we collected food they were expectant of a tip (which wasn't forthcoming) and when I said a cheery goodbye to the owner it was met with a blank stare. Food was semi-ok, but a little bit keeneow on the portion plus they didn't even give any sauce or anything. :)

Nevermind, to end on a positive, I have been 'reliably' informed by a man in a pub that there is a new Turkish Kebab shop/restaurant opening soon in the Cozy Beach area of Pratumnak. If I venture that way I will be sure to report my findings.