Quick Uk Civil Partnership Visa Question

Hi everyone.

Hope you can help with a quick question...

My partner and I put our visa application together and he went to bangkok to apply and at the desk they mentioned we didnt have maridge papers, so he has got a bit worried.

But I thought you cant give 'notice' until you have this visa.

and I looked on http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/civilpar...otice/index.asp and have taken the below.

'Are you subject to immigration controls?

If you are you will have to give notice of your intention to register a civil partnership at a designated office but will not be able to do so unless:

* you have an entry clearance granted expressly for the purpose of registering a civil partnership in the UK'

So am I right in that there isnt anything we can give in this respect?

Thanks for your help it will stop alot of worrying on his part.

Thanks

:)

You are correct; you cannot give notice of your intention to register your partnership until your partner is in the UK with the relevant visa.

However, SET02 - Proposed civil partners says

SET2.18 What evidence is required of arrangements for civil partnership?

The ECO needs to be satisfied that:

it is intended that a civil partnership will take place in the UK.

The law relating to civil partnership in England and Wales does not allow for any arrangements to be made with a Registrar until the foreign national has arrived in the UK. Of itself, a booking at a Register Office is not proof that a civil partnership will take place.

The civil partnership provisions for persons subject to immigration control are exactly the same as those already in place for spouses. People subject to immigration control who wish to give notice of a civil partnership will need to do so together at a Register Office designed for that purpose. A list of all these offices is available at www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

When the couple give notice, they will be required to produce one of the following:

entry clearance granted to form a civil partnership

a Home Office certificate of approval

Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK.

The ECO can reasonably expect the couple to have made some tentative plans for the civil partnership. Any evidence that may be available that civil partnership arrangements are in hand may help in this respect.

(MY emphasis)

Also, the document checklist asks for

Evidence of any marriage plans including when/where ceremony will take place i.e. correspondence with the church/register office, booking form etc..

So, although you obviously cannot make any definite bookings yet, I would include in your sponsor's letter details of what plans you have made for your ceremony; proposed date, location etc.

Hi everyone.

Hope you can help with a quick question...

My partner and I put our visa application together and he went to bangkok to apply and at the desk they mentioned we didnt have marriage papers, so he has got a bit worried.

But I thought you cant give 'notice' until you have this visa.

and I looked on http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/civilpar...otice/index.asp and have taken the below.

'Are you subject to immigration controls?

If you are you will have to give notice of your intention to register a civil partnership at a designated office but will not be able to do so unless:

* you have an entry clearance granted expressly for the purpose of registering a civil partnership in the UK'

So am I right in that there isnt anything we can give in this respect?

Thanks for your help it will stop alot of worrying on his part.

Thanks

:)

Has your partner obtained a "Certificate of Non-Impediment"? It's an official certificate which he can get free at his local Tessaban office which proves he is not already married in Thailand.

I'm not sure if it is an essential bit of paperwork for his visa application, but it would definitely be useful. I'm not sure how long the certificate is valid for but it might also save you the hassle of getting the certificate later in the UK (after the visa is granted).

Best of luck to you both. :D

Hi 7by7, I am in fact speaking about the same person my partner is of trans gender. we have been together 6 years, i have stayed there , she has been here twice for 6 months now time to do our civil partnership.

I normal use 'she' but used he so not to get confused.

I dont think we spoke about dates or place in the letters and evidence we supplied but did state that is was our intention to register our civil partnership as soon as she arrives. Reason for this as we didnt know how long the visa would take to approve.

But she has been granted a VV twice and hopefully this should all be OK? we supplied everything apart from that, whoopping great big folder!

Hi Thewayup

I didnt know about this, hopefully htis wont be needed :)

---

We applied early june so just waiting!

Hi 7by7, I am in fact speaking about the same person my partner is of trans gender.

Understand; and having read further back in your old posts I now see that you have said so before. Sorry about my jumping to the wrong conclusion, I hope I didn't cause any offence.

I dont think we spoke about dates or place in the letters and evidence we supplied but did state that is was our intention to register our civil partnership as soon as she arrives

Should be ok.

BTW, neither of you will require a Certificate of Non-Impediment in order to register your partnership in the UK. Although if either of you have been married or in a civil partnership before you will need documentary proof that the marriage or civil partnership is over.