Yellow Tabian Baan, What Is It Really Good For?

gzu88bv

Friend of mine lives in Kalasin with his wife and a still valid Multiple Non-O-Visa. He also has a Yellow Tabian Ban. He has no intention to leave his home base in Kalasin as permanent address.

However, he now wants to buy a motorbike in Pattaya and have the bike registered there in his name and running it with Pattaya number plates.

The Land Transport Office in Pattaya told him in order to register, he would not only have to bring along papers from the Pattaya motorbike vendor, but also his passport with visa, the departure card, Thai motocy driving licence, 2 pictures and (now it comes) apart from the Yellow Tabian Baan go to Mukda Han immigration office and get a resident paper from them.

I was always of the opinion that the Yellow Tabian Baan serves as a replacement for above immigration resident letter and could be used instead. What is fact and what is really needed?

Thanks for your detailed answers.

My local Dept of Land & Transport, Kanchanaburi, has told me that having the Yellow Book negates the need to get any letter from Immigration or my home Embassy.

However, TIT, rules vary from office to office, even officer to officer.

If they follow the rules the bike has to be registered where the owner is living. As the Yellow Tabian is not from Pattay it will not entitle to a Pattaya registration while a resident letter from the Immigration in Pattaya will do - provided he will get one. But many have managed it anyway as these rules are not enforced everywhere.

My local Dept of Land & Transport, Kanchanaburi, has told me that having the Yellow Book negates the need to get any letter from Immigration or my home Embassy.

However, TIT, rules vary from office to office, even officer to officer.

I think you mean Residence letter not ANY letter.

Dave