Aussie Pub Soi 11

NedKelly

did I see this Lee guy handing out free beers last night? he was good fun especialy when he handed out a few beers.

mate, I am good fun when I am handing out free beers as well. who knows, pass me a couple heinkens and I meet even smile when i say thanks :)

MY first post too.....

Have been to the Aussie pub 3 times now for dinner and a few beers. Food every time was top notch, steaks were great and I particularly liked the potato salad that came with it. Wife had lamb chops, a little on the small side, and kids had fish and chips which were quite ok. For me the steaks are worth returning for.

Just in case I thought it was a honeymoon period I had the same meal at Tenderloins a few nights later....Australian pub kicked ass, a fact which was made evident by the girl walking around Tenderloins asking how they could make the meal better and the empty seats.

Always found the staff were good at Aussie pub and absolutely superb with our kids...for that single point alone we will return.

The bad?

I thought the band were ok but truly awful playing the Australian stuff....I wished I never requested Cold Chisel and wanted to run for the door when they attempted Khe Sahn...it wasn't good. I am new to BKK from Singapore and if this band is 'promising' then I am in for a disappointing stay. We are lucky enough in SG to have a very good band made up of expats that can really play that stuff well and do all those kind of functions/aussie pub etc...maybe I should bring em to the BKK Aussie pub to do a 1 or 2 night run!

The manager didnt seem to be that friendly.....he obviously knows a few of his regulars and keeps to talking to them but I didnt see him doing any 'business development' as such.

The <deleted> quota is very high in this pub. A lot of loud Aussie tourists and total wanke_rs in there. I was in for the rugby a few weeks back and some guy at the bar kept yelling f&^ing C&^t at the top of his voice every time the All Blacks dropped the ball. Most of the dickheads are outside in the smoking section though.

No big screen/sports volume inside so if you want to watch the big games it has to be outside with the smokers/dickheads in a small space.

A little on the pricey side but not for the types of people who will frequent this place.

Overall though, I like it for an early evening dinner with the family and a few relaxing beers while the cricket is on.......

The Aussie pub is basically just another theme pub/restaurant rolled out by the Eclipse Group who have many places in Thailand and their roots are certainly not Down Under.

The fit out is great and not had a chance to see the place in full swing with the band.

However I feel the food pricey for pub food and if as the other poster says they are charging B500 for fish and chips I would not order having asked what fish they are using when I first went in there.

Also I find all the promo photos of the farang looking chef wearing his tall chef's hat and neck tie rather ammusing. It is a pub not a fine dining restaurant!

Edited by Ossies

• 2 weeks later...
I visited on the first day that it was open to the public, and stopped for ONE drink only, and chatted with the cook and also with the owner. Friendly enough, and I thought both were Aussies. I like the basket ball? outfits of the lady employees in the Aussie green and gold colours. Beer prices on the very expensive side. Walked past frequently to get to my hotel after that, and noticed that after the first few initial days the place was empty. Food prices very expensive. Imho oversized, overambitious, and overpriced. I won't go back.

An Aussie I know told me it's 500 baht for fish and chips there. I said to him "Man, I didn't know Aussies liked fish and chips?"

He said, "I don't either, but at 500 Baht, it's sure to keep the Pommies out".

The place is probably already in trouble, so they do the most logical business trick (in Thailand), which is to increase the prices.

:):D

It's the same guy's who own it that owned the Twisted club in the same location which went bust, there probably trying to re-coop some of the 100+ million baht that place lost. :D

Very interesting thing about the Australian Pub & Grill Sukhumvit Soi 11 is not one Aussie owner in the company.

Aussie manager I think.

Oh Well.

And history teaches us how much the English love the Australians ...

• 3 weeks later...
Second-hand news I know, but a mate went to the Aussie Pub for the Oz-rulez footie early saturday.

Pies and beer later he and his family are all crook, suspect that they all ate at the pub but nothing concrete.

that is very unfair to say about any pub/restaurant without 100% proof.

crikey !! as they say

Wished I'd checked these comments before going to this joint - very ordinary steak.

OK back to my vampire-ish pining for a great steak !!

If you're on Soi 11 and want a great steak, try the Venezia restaurant a bit further down from the Australian bar on the other side, I've had one of the best steaks of my life there and I've had a few... Saying that they had a fire last Sunday and have quite allot of work to do to get it back up and running again, it could be a week or two before they re-open.

I've been to the Australian bar twice, and absolutley hated it. It was way over-priced, the staff were average at best and the band when playing are way too loud for what is basically quite a small inner ground floor bar area. I should point out that I own a large sports bar in Bangkok that would probably be considered a direct competitor of The Australian so I am not entirely unbiased, but my impressions of this place are that it's fine for drunk Aussies on holiday who basically don't give a sh1t about anything other than getting drunk and noisy before going somewhere else to get drunker and noisier. Just across Sukhumvit is the Soi 8 bar that is also very popular with Aussie and Kiwi crowd, the owner Dave is a Kiwi I believe - they have an excellent reputation for showing the sport from that part of the World (FYI I have no involvement with this bar other than I drink there on the odd occasion).

Still, saying that the decor is top notch and location wise it's excellent, it will probably do very well as these types of bars tend to. They need a new manager though, that guy gets slated by one and all, he ignored me waving my hand around trying to get the attention of a member of staff whilst sitting in the middle of the place on the only occupied table at the time - it's was almost surreal!!!! Had to get up and walk over to the front door to get somebody in the end, this guy was standing less than 3 metres from the table. Ridiculous.

Tom.

Soi 8 bar is pretty good i concur. Great free buffet once a week. Forget which day. If i am in Sukhumvit and want to watch the footy you cant beat Downunder bar soi 7/1. Cheap beer. Great staff. Owners a total character and the veiw is a bit of a giggle.

food comes from the restaraunt down the road. End of the day a pom running an Aussie bar is like me playing golf. Just a bit of a joke really :)

I was in for the rugby a few weeks back and some guy at the bar kept yelling f&^ing C&^t at the top of his voice every time the All Blacks dropped the ball.

I'll have you know that was the Australian Ambassador to Thailand on his night off. :)

I was in for the rugby a few weeks back and some guy at the bar kept yelling f&^ing C&^t at the top of his voice every time the All Blacks dropped the ball.

I'll have you know that was the Australian Ambassador to Thailand on his night off. :)

Wouldn't the Australian Ambassador more likely be cheering than cursing if it were the All Backs who dropped the ball, unless he had bet against the Wallabies.

I'll have you know that was the Australian Ambassador to Thailand on his night off. :D

Wouldn't the Australian Ambassador more likely be cheering than cursing if it were the All Backs who dropped the ball, unless he had bet against the Wallabies.

Not if he was laughing uproariously at the time as in "Look at that f#cking c#nt!" :)

An Aussie I know told me it's 500 baht for fish and chips there. I said to him "Man, I didn't know Aussies liked fish and chips?"

I have never heard of an aussie than didn't like fish and chips that's all they eat as takeaway.

NB :)

If you want some good food and the football, along with excellent service and no BG's try Bradman bar on Soi 23. Their lunch time crowd is almost exclusively Thai so their Thai food must be OK also.

haha funny midas, you are suggesting that the locals are 'qualified' in ozzie fare? perhaps it's just cheap.

Forget your glasses James? "Their lunch time crowd is almost exclusively Thai so their THAI FOOD must be OK also"! :)

I visited on the first day that it was open to the public, and stopped for ONE drink only, and chatted with the cook and also with the owner. Friendly enough, and I thought both were Aussies. I like the basket ball? outfits of the lady employees in the Aussie green and gold colours. Beer prices on the very expensive side. Walked past frequently to get to my hotel after that, and noticed that after the first few initial days the place was empty. Food prices very expensive. Imho oversized, overambitious, and overpriced. I won't go back.

The place is probably already in trouble, so they do the most logical business trick (in Thailand), which is to increase the prices.

:):D

It's the same guy's who own it that owned the Twisted club in the same location which went bust, there probably trying to re-coop some of the 100+ million baht that place lost. :D

Funny that you should mention twisted, I went into the Aussie pub ob Soi 11 for the last Bledisloe Cup game and when I walked in I said to my son, "this is almost the same layout as the night club across the road that closed not long after opening (minus the coyote dancers). I thought that the place is very well fitted out (over capitalized) and found that the staff were a little slow until I asked for a refill and the waitress went to get me one, leaving the empty glass on my table, over the next 2 minutes three separate waitresses asked if I wanted a refill, (shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted). At the end of the day I rarely go to these type of bars for the fine dining, rather to watch sport without being harassed by BG's and have a few quiet ales.

• 1 month later...

The place is far from a shit pit, and you'll sometimes see rats in any bar that has an open area in Bangkok, they pop up from somewhere underground then tear round the place trying to get out before they get whacked. A rat doesn't imply poor hygiene standards in an area that has a direct link to the street - it's the ones in the kitchen you have to worry about...

[/qu

Ok so how do you know that the Rat or Rats dint find them selfs to the kitchen?my common sense tells me that there is a good possibility that the restaurant might be contaminated.With regards to the hygiene standards let me ask you a question:-

"If a cat has kittens in a pillar will you call the CATERPILLAR"

• 1 month later...
If you want some good food and the football, along with excellent service and no BG's try Bradman bar on Soi 23. Their lunch time crowd is almost exclusively Thai so their Thai food must be OK also.

Not sure, but I think that is the Ockor bar on right heading to Soi Cowboy.

I drink there reg, watch rugby.

The owner is an amenable guy, told me to bring in 4 more guys and he would stay open for a NZ rugby test, at 0130 hrs.

There is a pretty reasonable, real "fush 'n chups" shop across the road.

Here is my setang's worth.

1st. With a business friend who is the most picky guy in the world as in, if the waitress even dares to be 1/10th of a microsecond late he thinks the place is the pits. The bar had been open a week or so. H

e ordered steak medium, I ordered a salad of some sorts.

Beer expensive but ok choice.

He said food and service was great one of his favourite places in Bangkok.

I thought average.

2nd visit. As my business friend thought it was great me and err in doors went for a quick look. I ordered salad she ordered (I forgot) Half way through a band started and the volume was so high I think my ear drums exploded. The medium sizes crowd all left and sat outside due to the volume also. The band was not bad just load. Food average to bad, beer expensive. We had a few small beers outside watching the world go by and had to leave as the band become loader and even sitting outside was painful

3rd visit, was on a day when the rugby was on, the place was packed and I just looked elsewhere.

It seems that this place has things to offer that some people like so it is worth a try.