Gay Youth Resources/support Networks In Thai Language

meme

I am currently working in the US with Thai students who are going to Prep school and college here.

We are informing them about cultural perspectives on sex and sexuality. We would like to provide them with online resources and support networks in Thai, to reinforce what we have been teaching them in English. If you have any links please PM me. I am only interested in positive, supportive and gay friendly sites.

Thanks.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of youth-appropriate gay-friendly information here. While Thailand is not a homophobic society, there is a cultural myth about 'Thainess' which basically excludes sexuality of any kind from public discussion (the Victorian era is a good analogy). Some information has been able to get through this barrier on public health issues- HIV prevention, safe sex, condoms- though government money for that has dried up since of course they were 'successful' in eliminating AIDS here (along with poverty, traffic, and government corruption).

There are gay sites where youth post, but frequently they are little better than personals sites. I wouldn't refer any young people to them in a professional context. You will probably also not find that the Thai ideas are always directly cognate to English-language concepts- the notion of gay sexuality and the sociology here are not exactly the same as in the gay world in the US.

As a suggestion, you will need (unfortunately) to describe what homophobia in the US means and its consequences (even for straight students, who may be used to more expression of affection from their male friends here than they will get in the US- innocent behaviours may lead to great misunderstandings. Specifically, you should stress that there is usually very little physical contact between typical male friends because it is perceived as 'gay'). Concurrently, straight students may need to get used to the greater (or more obvious) interactions between the opposite sexes compared to what goes on publicly here.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of youth-appropriate gay-friendly information here. While Thailand is not a homophobic society, there is a cultural myth about 'Thainess' which basically excludes sexuality of any kind from public discussion (the Victorian era is a good analogy). Some information has been able to get through this barrier on public health issues- HIV prevention, safe sex, condoms- though government money for that has dried up since of course they were 'successful' in eliminating AIDS here (along with poverty, traffic, and government corruption).

There are gay sites where youth post, but frequently they are little better than personals sites. I wouldn't refer any young people to them in a professional context. You will probably also not find that the Thai ideas are always directly cognate to English-language concepts- the notion of gay sexuality and the sociology here are not exactly the same as in the gay world in the US.

As a suggestion, you will need (unfortunately) to describe what homophobia in the US means and its consequences (even for straight students, who may be used to more expression of affection from their male friends here than they will get in the US- innocent behaviours may lead to great misunderstandings. Specifically, you should stress that there is usually very little physical contact between typical male friends because it is perceived as 'gay'). Concurrently, straight students may need to get used to the greater (or more obvious) interactions between the opposite sexes compared to what goes on publicly here.

I thought this might be the case about resources in Thai. Unfortunate. Thanks a lot for the suggestions I think we covered most of that today actually. Anymore suggestions are welcome.

Cheers.

I think you will find that the gender role ideals both for male and female young people are very different. English-speaking cultures have the 'alpha male' macho thing going on, and by those terms even the most athletic and butch Thai male students will generally not pass easily into the macho mainstream (based on size alone). Furthermore, female students may find the strength of expression and forward behaviour of many US girls quite alarming (to say nothing of the Thai boys' reaction to this)! Sensitively picking a youth-oriented movie which helps to highlight how these cliques and groups function in US high schools might provoke some constructive discussion.

And THEN you have to start on the Asian thing, and the implicit racial 'categories' that most Americans think in, even if liberal. They may discover that rather than as people, Americans will unconsciously group them together as 'oriental' (if not worse) and that they are implicitly excluded from many social roles as a result (i.e. as potential romantic interests of the 'in' crowds). Of course, this will affect both straight and gay groups.

You may wish to warn the gay groups about the 'rice-queen' phenomenon, in which they are objectified as interesting *because* of their other-ness rather than because of who they are, and how they might feel about and choose to react to that.

I presume that the students are living with host families- in that case, you will need to be especially alert to mistreatment of the students by host families who potentially perceive them as gay (whether they are gay or not); I would also try to be aware of any religious harassment going on.

I am always hesitant to put up a post saying that something does not exist. It only takes one person to prove me wrong! But, I think there is little, if anything, of the sort of thing you are seeking.

Thailand is much more tolerant of homosexuality than western societies. Gay men and women are loved by their families and accepted by their peer group,workplace colleagues and the general public. Hence, there is little need here for gay support groups, "gay pride" marches, etc. etc. Also, internet penetration rates in Thailand are much lower than in the west, especially outside of the major cities. When Thai people need information, they do not usually begin their quest with an internet search.