Choking Smoke Around Day & Night, How To Stop

Cobrabiker

I stay in a newly developed estate, and I like fresh air, but neighboring houses outside the perimeter of the estate always burn leaves to chase away mosquitoes and gnats, the problem is our estate is on a lower land and the smoke settles at the lower land for a long time. Neighbor starts burning as early as 6am in the morning, and as late as 10 or 11pm at night, now what should I do? Which department handle this problem?

I stay in a newly developed estate, and I like fresh air, but neighboring houses outside the perimeter of the estate always burn leaves to chase away mosquitoes and gnats, the problem is our estate is on a lower land and the smoke settles at the lower land for a long time. Neighbor starts burning as early as 6am in the morning, and as late as 10 or 11pm at night, now what should I do? Which department handle this problem?

There is no law against this in Thailand. If the developer does not go over there himself and deal with it nothing will be done. A few years ago I had a beautiful house which I loved. Across the street was half finished project house, pretty nice looking place. There were several large new homes also in our little cluster of houses which was surrounded by thousands of acres of paddy fields. The owner of the half built house moved in some workers and had them start making charcoal. It started with one kiln and they quickly added a second. Not even those who invested in new houses would do anything, they just put up with it, I moved.

I think there should be a department that can do something about it, maybe the municipal office, or the police or whatever dept.,(pls advice) maybe to chop down the trees and also to educate the neighbors. <deleted>, burning day and night because of their one family comfort, and choke up all the residents around, no sense of consideration.

Anyone encountering the same problem pls advice, the smoke is unbearable!! Thanks!

Good idea LeungKeb, or maybe I should be Rambo, get a Bazooka and blast the fuc_ker, solve the problem once and for all. Jokes aside, I really need some practical and positive input to deal with the problem. Another thing, their rooster starts making noise like a machine gun, non stop as early as 4am, all these are driving me nuts, maybe I will sell the house if all things fail.

Good idea LeungKeb, or maybe I should be Rambo, get a Bazooka and blast the fuc_ker, solve the problem once and for all. Jokes aside, I really need some practical and positive input to deal with the problem. Another thing, their rooster starts making noise like a machine gun, non stop as early as 4am, all these are driving me nuts, maybe I will sell the house if all things fail.

It's unfortunate, but in reality there's probably not much you can do about it. It's just part of living it Thailand, things are different here. If you move, there's no guarantee that it won't happen again.

Cobrabiker, I posted a similar problem I was having with a neighbour who had three caged, constantly barking, dogs.

replies to my question were that official complaints would backfire and make it difficult to stay. In the end, I did mention the noise to my neighbour and it turned out that he hated the dogs even more than I did and has now sold them (or he could have baged them into the local canal, I don't know).

My advice is to find an opportunity to speak with your neighbours, maybe at the local playarea/shop/bar etc and say something non-confrontational like 'Bit smokey up your place isn't it?' and take matters from there - suggest other ways to stop the insects that are bugging them like netting, coils, etc.

Move. Prefereably to your perfect concept of what a white castle might be. Wuss.

Move. Prefereably to your perfect concept of what a white castle might be. Wuss.

i hope not every thai is as arrogant and stupid as you.

Assuming you dont speak Thai? Go round there with a bucket with an inch of water in it and make the motions of putting the fire out while coughing like crazy. Learn the words for smoke,wind, killing me, etc first, but do it with a big smile. you have to try civilly first.

There is no law against this in Thailand. If the developer does not go over there himself and deal with it nothing will be done. A few years ago I had a beautiful house which ..............

There most certainly is, in a good proportion of provinces. A call to the local Tessabahn will get it sorted, and they will be given a warning. If they persist, they will be fined.

There is a specific department in Chiangmai Tessabahn that solely deals with "burning off" complaints.

It really depends on how popular you want to remain with your neighbours :)

A friend of mine who owns a property on 5 rai complains of adjacent neighbours burning plastic in the evening which pollutes the whole area with an acrid and most unpleasant smell. He bought a large plot to avoid such problems. It occured to me that maybe offering them a bin to collect the plastic would encourage them to recycle with a profit at the end of the day. They would still burn leaves, I assume and apart from paying the neigbours to stop burning or pay them per kilo, I'm afraid there may be no solution. I love to know of of one though.

regards bojo

A friend of mine who owns a property on 5 rai complains.............................................. I'm afraid there may be no solution. I love to know of of one though.

regards bojo

See my previous post....Complain to the Tessabahn, if your friend is in Chiangmai.