Motorcycle With Sidecar.

Can't afford a car, and the idea of sitting on the back of a motorcycle driven by my petite GF does not appeal ( I'm very large ).

Anyone know how much a second hand bike with one of those "sidecars" ( see them all over the place )attached would cost?

Does not have to be in mint condition as able to fix it myself.

Thanks for any help.

thai beach. they cost about 8,000 baht for the sidecar then just connect it up to a bike of your choice. They need a bit of practice to ride, totally different to a 2 wheel bike. Hope it helps. where are you in Thailand?

thai beach. they cost about 8,000 baht for the sidecar then just connect it up to a bike of your choice. They need a bit of practice to ride, totally different to a 2 wheel bike. Hope it helps. where are you in Thailand?

Thanks for the reply.

I'll probably be living in Chiang Mai when I move in permanently.

That's rather more than I was thinking of, which is why I'm after a second hand set up.

I just have this vision of you (very large) in an armchair balanced on the sidecar and your (petite) GF driving you along - made me smile.....

Maybe best to find a local in your area who could set something up for you...the Thai are very good at that and not too expensive....you could probably set the whole thing up with a reasonable secondhand motorsi for about 20-25k......if you do it yourself it will not be right of course!!!

How about one of those three wheeler bikes. I think I have seen a Sonic and several Waves modified like this. Rear of bike modified to have two wheels. I also saw a very large Thai guy on a Honda Phantom today, so that might be an option?

They are illegal tho..

Why not learn how to ride a bike ??

Are you serious about them being illegal! I've seen thousands of them around Thailand.

Been riding bikes all my life, but have no wish to deal with all the crap that farangs get when riding from the corrupt ones in brown.

I just have this vision of you (very large) in an armchair balanced on the sidecar and your (petite) GF driving you along - made me smile.....

Maybe best to find a local in your area who could set something up for you...the Thai are very good at that and not too expensive....you could probably set the whole thing up with a reasonable secondhand motorsi for about 20-25k......if you do it yourself it will not be right of course!!!

Yup, had something in mind along those lines, LOL.

They are illegal tho..

Maybe he likes a beer and the idea of having a driver appeals and is sensible

Yeah because phoning a taxi makes loads less sense than buying a saleng !!

I assume you are being sarcastic, but we can't afford a car, and I'm definitely not going travelling around Thailand in a taxi.

How about one of those three wheeler bikes. I think I have seen a Sonic and several Waves modified like this. Rear of bike modified to have two wheels. I also saw a very large Thai guy on a Honda Phantom today, so that might be an option?

Thanks for that suggestion. Definitely worth looking into.

They are illegal tho..

Are you serious about them being illegal! I've seen thousands of them around Thailand.

Been riding bikes all my life, but have no wish to deal with all the crap that farangs get when riding from the corrupt ones in brown.

Yes a saleng is an 'uninspected modification' or similar..

They are common.. but illegal..

They are illegal tho..

Maybe he likes a beer and the idea of having a driver appeals and is sensible

Yeah because phoning a taxi makes loads less sense than buying a saleng !!

I assume you are being sarcastic, but we can't afford a car, and I'm definitely not going travelling around Thailand in a taxi.

So your thinking of touring Thailand on a scooter and salaeng ??

Comedy gold... Please do a photo report.

I had an EML 15} car tire side car powered by an Estern German 300 cc 2-stroke MZ ETZ.

Riding the beast was terrible. The road's surface makes one manouver constantly. Riding a bike is fun, this is awkward.

Q: who would be sitting in the side car?

Buy a 2nd bike for the gf and forget this idea.

Chris

post-7704-1248939213_thumb.jpg

I had an EML 15} car tire side car powered by an Estern German 300 cc 2-stroke MZ ETZ.

Riding the beast was terrible. The road's surface makes one manouver constantly. Riding a bike is fun, this is awkward.

Q: who would be sitting in the side car?

Buy a 2nd bike for the gf and forget this idea.

Chris

Thanks, but without getting into it, myself riding a bike is not an option, and sitting behind the ( tiny ) GF scares the cr** out of me. Last time we went on a bike even though I only let her drive at 40, she still tried to crash us. I'm just too big for safety.

On a bike with sidecar, at least it's not going to fall over if we hit a pothole.

Given the huge numbers of them around, they can't be that hard to drive.

I would probably still ride pillion for reasons nothing to do with riding the bike.

PS, we wouldn't be riding for "fun", just to get around.

a secondhand 'bookless' bike and sidecar can be had for as little as 5,000 baht, most police won't bother stopping you as they will think you are a penniless farang riding a saleng so from experience I would say the lack of the book will not be a problem unless you crash into someone. Otherwise, a new sidecar is 5,000 and the bike - well any bike will do 100cc up (not an auto). If you are a large geezer perhaps 125cc up. Get a 4-stroke bike so at least everyone won't hear you coming. I like my saleng, it cost me 10k and my builders can get about 8 bags of cement on it or about 5 people. It is useful for carrying beer also and is cheaper and safer than using the car round the small sois in town. On the main road people (generally in Fortuners) often try to run me off the road. I would fix lots of lights to the rear (or a few old CDs) as it's hard to see the width at night and cars underestimate. Eventually the extra strain on the bike will knacker it, so don't buy a really flash new bike that will end up with buckled wheels and knackered shocks etc. A saleng IS a nice way to tour Thailand, just as long as you are not in a hurry and you don't give a sh*t what people think about you...

a secondhand 'bookless' bike and sidecar can be had for as little as 5,000 baht, most police won't bother stopping you as they will think you are a penniless farang riding a saleng so from experience I would say the lack of the book will not be a problem unless you crash into someone. Otherwise, a new sidecar is 5,000 and the bike - well any bike will do 100cc up (not an auto). If you are a large geezer perhaps 125cc up. Get a 4-stroke bike so at least everyone won't hear you coming. I like my saleng, it cost me 10k and my builders can get about 8 bags of cement on it or about 5 people. It is useful for carrying beer also and is cheaper and safer than using the car round the small sois in town. On the main road people (generally in Fortuners) often try to run me off the road. I would fix lots of lights to the rear (or a few old CDs) as it's hard to see the width at night and cars underestimate. Eventually the extra strain on the bike will knacker it, so don't buy a really flash new bike that will end up with buckled wheels and knackered shocks etc. A saleng IS a nice way to tour Thailand, just as long as you are not in a hurry and you don't give a sh*t what people think about you...

Very good post, I like the bit about cement, very practicle, carrying beers, funny and not giving a hoot what people think about you.

Regards Bojo

Thanks for that, very useful info.

Perhaps a side mounted chainsaw, or a stack of bricks might see off the Fortuners!

I gave up worrying about what other people think about me years ago, and I'm definitely in no hurry to get anywhere.

• 11 months later...

I actually saw a large farang sitting on a chair in a sidecar, being driven by a petite Thai lady, recently in Pattaya!

Given the crap exchange rate now, my plans for such have come to naught

This thread came back and is now almost a year old:whistling:...well since last year something was added as legal bike with sidecar. The only legal one in Thailand is the Tiger Retro / sidecar. It is sold for 49300 thb and here is some thread about it:

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

The Tiger Retro with sidecar is NOT the only LEGAL sidecar in Thailand. There's also the two 125cc Stallion has on offer, which are maybe less eye pleasing - they surely do come in wide variations, from simple flat bed style to complete icecream car or pre-build and registered noodle-sellers. The motorcycles with sidecar carrying a LPG gas tank need extra permits (so I was told) to be allowed on the public road.

The other advantage of the Stallion Buddy series over the Tiger is the stopping power, which is much much better (and therefor much safer).

Of course the Tiger Retro 110 with sidecar has a complete different audience and to be honest a Tiger Retro with disc brake will just not look correct...

1268032653.jpg

1268032327.jpg

This is right, the stallion w/sidecar are also legal although not really great for looks and human transport ...guess who manufactured & designed them for stallion??

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I know who makes them, that makes me also wonder why the Stallion GoGo electric scooter is just under 9,000 Baht and the Tiger GoGo scooter is 12,500 Baht?