Have The Rules Changed Again For Non-o Spouse Visas

I was planning on changing my Non-Imm "B" to a Non-Imm "O" Marriage visa next month (current "B" visa expires in early September). I'm working and I'm able to meet the financial criteria of 40,000 Baht per month.

However, when I went to my "friendly" local immigration office today (July 22, 2009), I was given a document (written in Thai) outlining the requirements to obtain a Non-Imm "O" Marriage visa. The immigration officer took a pen and crossed out the 40,000 Baht financial requirement and said that it was no longer acceptable. He said that I had to meet the requirement of 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank.

A few years ago, you could have either 40k Baht income or 400,000k Baht in the bank. Then, immigration changed that to only accepting 40k Baht income. Then within the last year I thought they changed it back 40k income or 400,000k in the bank. Now I'm officially confused, but not at all surprised.

When did the regulations change again?

Edited by connda

It is clearly acceptable according to the police order 777 - but then a 2 month in account is also acceptable but most officers are not accepting that. But this is the first post I have noticed saying that 40k income was not acceptable.

How interesting. It seems like the "friendly" regional immigration offices have the autonomy to interpret national immigration laws however they wish. I guess that way they can enhance the customer service experience that they provided to those of us trying to live here and support a family. :)

The rules didn't change, you can show 40,000 a month or 400,000 in the bank. But now it has to be your income or money in the bank only. The wife's income no longer counts.

Mario's answer is right,the rules didn't change recently(maybe next week ?).

Of course,every incompetent "Officer",in every Immigration Office in Thailand,thinks "He/She' knows better.

Welcome to LOS.