Cows In Thailand

fred2007

I do realy wonder why Thai people breed cows for? Every day I see cows on the road well beside the road they wonder about looking skinny and also on my property people just let the cows feed without

asking for my permission. Ok fair enough but explain to me why I can't buy any beef in any supermarkets here :D No matter where I go there is chicken fisch or pork, so where does all that beef go? Don't tell me

it is for milk :D most of them are not milk cows as far as I can see that. So can you explain to me :)

Well they are not kept for pets are they lol

They are raised for their meat which local butchers and markets buy at Auctions .

You can by Beef at any market I have been to plus the local meat man that drives around the Estates sells it.

If you live near Rangsit go to Talad Thai market and you will see stalls of the stuff.

Colino

Beef is for sale all over. Keep looking.
Not at Big C, Tesco,Macro, or Tops

Tesco always has beef , you must be looking in the bottle shop

Yes verry funny but I don't live in BKK or any of the big cities and I never seen any beef

on any local markets either :)

Yes verry funny but I don't live in BKK or any of the big cities and I never seen any beef

I buy beef at the local market all the time, except on Wan Phra, and I live in a small town too.

Tesco sells steaks and beef mince. The larger Topps also sell T bones and other cuts of beef,

And yes you have guessed it so does Big C.

Even in the sticks of Khon Kaen we buy beef not buffalo

Ps this forum is getting so daft

PPS when the local butcher comes around in his van his tannoy blasts ( sounds like ) Gap Cow

colino

Tesco sells steaks and beef mince. The larger Topps also sell T bones and other cuts of beef,

PPS when the local butcher comes around in his van his tannoy blasts ( sounds like ) Gap Cow

colino

Yeah right maybe I should have asked a more intelligent question eg. where can I find the best burger or what is the best tooth paste to use :)

Where I live most of the Bhuddists are from the non beef eating sects. However Tesco's in town normally does have beef. We only have a small expat population in Muang Ranong, but even so it can be bought.

colino

Yeah right maybe I should have asked a more intelligent question eg. where can I find the best burger or what is the best tooth paste to use :)

Why not :D this forum is slowly turning into a boring where can I get ?

Yawn yawn ,

is this the fault of the search engine or the people not looking at back posts ?

Colino :D

Tesco certainly doesn't always have beef, some of them do not carry it. The one near me doesn't, neither does the Big C or the mom and pop supermarkets. It all depends on where you are, a significant percentage of Thais do not eat beef and the local mega stores don't bother carrying it in some places. In central Bangkok or Isaan I'd expect to usually find it.

The most horrible taxi driver possible, who also happenned to own a buffalo used to tie his animal up at a tree in my garden in Koh Samui. It wasn't fenced but it was a garden.

A different piece of land of ours which is fenced with 5 rows of barbed wire is always being cut open by the Pooyai baan of all people so that he can put his cows out to pasture. No respect at all, don't you just love those country folk.

regards Bojo

That's life, as Esther would say. Move to the big city or stop moaning.

Beef can be bought at most supermarkets and many of the larger town and local markets.

But the reasons beef may not be available in some of the outer town areas and local villages is because it’s expensive compared to the main meat diet of Thaïs, which is pork and chicken.

Although one may see the odd few cows and buffalo spread over various parts of the countryside, the numbers are considerably less than that of pig and poultry stocks.

most of the 'cow' on the sides of roads are kept for their calves which are then raised to be bought and slaughtered for parties and special occasions, not for daily eating. they probably dont even get near a real supermarket as they are slaughtered, butchered and pre bought, locally.

its mostly chicken pork and fish if u can catch them.

bina

israel

It's Thailands solution to excessive speeding. Where other countries us speed bumps and round-abouts, Thailand uses cows. They poop along the road and the wet crap sprays off tires onto anything along their path. This creates an industry of cleaning things. It's quite simple actually.

Cows_004.sized.jpg

beef is everywhere most of it is imported from Australia tho. Can get it in any supermarket can even buy lamb and Kangaroo if you want it.

Thais Aim to Boost Beef Production

According to the Department of Livestock Development (DLD), Thailand had in the region of 9.1 million beef cattle in 2008. Imported breeds include Brahman, Charolais, Blonde d’ Aquitaine and Angus, writes Stuart Lumb for TheCattleSite.

Beef imports were boosted following the signing of a free trade agreement (FTA) between Thailand, Australia and New Zealand in 2005, with Australia being the major supplier as opposed to New Zealand. Other major exporters to Thailand are the US, the EU (Netherlands, Italy and Germany) and Brazil. DLD data shows that Thailand imported 1581 tonnes of beef valued at Thai Baht 170.85 million in 2005, 1842 tonnes valued at THB 225.65 million in 2006 and 1921 tonnes, THB 310.9 in 2007.

TH

It's Thailands solution to excessive speeding. Where other countries us speed bumps and round-abouts, Thailand uses cows. They poop along the road and the wet crap sprays off tires onto anything along their path. This creates an industry of cleaning things. It's quite simple actually.

Cows_004.sized.jpg

I allow what IanForbes said.

colino

would have made more sense than asserting you cant buy beef in thailand