Child Benefit

Hi now my wife & son are in the UK can we claim child benefit? my wifes visa ( settlement ) states no recourse to public funds, also my son only has a Thai birth certificate, but a British Passport, would it still be possible to claim? do I claim? does my son need a british birth certificate? :)

Hi now my wife & son are in the UK can we claim child benefit? my wifes visa ( settlement ) states no recourse to public funds, also my son only has a Thai birth certificate, but a British Passport, would it still be possible to claim? do I claim? does my son need a british birth certificate? :)

Yes, you can claim child benefit and also child tax credits (This is income related though, so you might not get too much).

Yes you claim,however arriveing from a none eu state it takes 6 month to proses rather than the normal 3 months,about the birth cert,I sent them the original Thai birth cert and i got a letter back saying could i send an english one which i had,think the letter also said if i hadnt got one to explain why,now application has been in for 4 months and am expecting to get it about september,which will be backdated.Me thinks british child no probs.

Yes you claim,however arriveing from a none eu state it takes 6 month to proses rather than the normal 3 months,about the birth cert,I sent them the original Thai birth cert and i got a letter back saying could i send an english one which i had,think the letter also said if i hadnt got one to explain why,now application has been in for 4 months and am expecting to get it about september,which will be backdated.Me thinks british child no probs.

Didn't take 6 months for me when I claimed for my daughter. I received it within about 2 or 3 months.

It is also backdated from the date of arival in the UK if you can prove this with tickets or passport stamps