Recommendation Needed: Wireless Dialup Modem

Lopburi99

Hi,

I'm way out of date on this, but I will be traveling a lot soon and want to use a wireless USB modem for dialup purposes. I thought by buying an prepaid internet card and using a wireless modem on my laptop I could get my email, etc, from anywhere in Thailand. This is true, right? I hear the wireless USB modems are actually faster than land line dialup these days. BTW, I have an old notebook and the USBs are 1.0

Do you have a recommendation for me please?

Thanks.

Let me try to clarify and ask some questions.

You got an old notebook with USB 1.0 port.

Does it come with a phone line outlet? It should -

than you have a built-in modem already in your notebook.

To the best of my knowledge you cant dial-up wireless.

I trust you mean a WiFi connection?

Could you pls. mention model/brand and age of your notebook.

Edited by webfact

Cheap USB gprs/edge modem will do, start at around 2000 - 2500 Baht.

Put in pre-paid simcard from AIS or Dtac.

Without an internet package they'll charge both 1 Baht/minute of internet access.

Not sure on the internet package pricing with Dtac, but with AIS you can get a pre-paid "net-sim" card, for every 100 Baht you top-up you get 30 days validity (sim-card costs 210 Baht).

20 hours of internet/month costs 100 Baht + 7% vat.

100 hours of internet/month costs I think 350 Bah +7% vat.

Just make sure there is enough credit on your sim-card when renewal time comes up. AIS will send an SMS if not enough credit is available, but when you top up later it'll automatically re-activate the internet package...

Make sure you get the net-sim card, regular pre-paid sim-cards need to get topped up with 300 Baht to get an extra 30 days of validity, it's very likely you won't use that much credit so it'll be wasted money.

Speeds vary between 80 and 200 kbps, so you are looking at between double and 5 times faster then old style dial-up! Just make sure that the usb modem is "edge" capable...

Don't worry about the USB 1.0 connection (1.0 is 1.5 mbps, more likely your usb will be 1.1 which is up to 12 mbps), it will be much faster then the internet you'll get throug the modem...

Thanks for the info guys. I just got up :) (its the morning in the U.S.), and now I know what my options are. Webfact, it's a Fujitsu Lifebook Notebook, about 7-8 years old. Durable old beast, I've had it around the world. Yes, it has an internal modem. When I said wireless, I meant to use with no land line. Very sorry, I am horribly out of date on all this, things which I was a near expert on in my previous life. B.S. Computer Science 1970 :D . Now I'm a freaking retard. Don't even know the correct terms to use. <embarrassed> :D

I just have a piece of crap mobile phone but I guess it could work as a modem.

I'll research all of your posts above. I need to be careful with what I spend, so I will get whatever is not costly and provides decent speed.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. :D

P.S. Flying back to LOS tomorrow - can't wait. :D

Edited by Lopburi99

Cheap USB gprs/edge modem will do, start at around 2000 - 2500 Baht.

Put in pre-paid simcard from AIS or Dtac.

Without an internet package they'll charge both 1 Baht/minute of internet access.

Not sure on the internet package pricing with Dtac, but with AIS you can get a pre-paid "net-sim" card, for every 100 Baht you top-up you get 30 days validity (sim-card costs 210 Baht).

20 hours of internet/month costs 100 Baht + 7% vat.

100 hours of internet/month costs I think 350 Bah +7% vat.

Just make sure there is enough credit on your sim-card when renewal time comes up. AIS will send an SMS if not enough credit is available, but when you top up later it'll automatically re-activate the internet package...

Make sure you get the net-sim card, regular pre-paid sim-cards need to get topped up with 300 Baht to get an extra 30 days of validity, it's very likely you won't use that much credit so it'll be wasted money.

Speeds vary between 80 and 200 kbps, so you are looking at between double and 5 times faster then old style dial-up! Just make sure that the usb modem is "edge" capable...

Don't worry about the USB 1.0 connection (1.0 is 1.5 mbps, more likely your usb will be 1.1 which is up to 12 mbps), it will be much faster then the internet you'll get throug the modem...

Update:

Bought a Go3G wireless modem, EDGE USB reg 1,990 on sale for 1,200 baht. The tech couldn't get it to work on my PC's USB ports so he put in a USB 2.0 - 1394 Combo card (790 baht)into my PC Card slot then the modem worked fine in those USB ports. He said something about "low power" from my USB ports being my problem (?). Anyway, everything works fine now, albeit slower than I thought. The modem connects at 460.8 K but the software's chart shows my throughput of only about 17.6 K/s max.

I can live with this, just wanted to let you all know.

Also got the GPRS net sim for 290 baht (12 call?). I think it's for 30 hrs but the docs are mostly in Thai so of course I can't understand them. Evidently it is renewable for 99 baht as Monty said. How do I refill? I never refill my mobile because I never use it and am not aware of how to refill prepaids. Seems to me I buy something at 7-Eleven. I'd rather not use my credit card online but I will if I need to do it that way.

Thanks again.

TRUE is the cheapest at 250 baht for a month of unlimited usage. http://www.truemove.com/eng/product/package/pre_wifi.htm

DTAC is next because the SIM card is cheaper at 49 baht and is generally more user(foreigner) friendly.

http://www.happy.co.th/en/low/17_service_m..._internet02.php

AIS/One2Call would only be a choice for me as a backup if the others didn't work. Their website and literature are just horrible. It's like they know that they have to cater to the foreigner, but they don't like it.

http://www2.mobilelife.co.th/internet/subi...php?nServID=208

The 99 baht Top Up info for AIS you have been given is simply nonsense.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone has advice or recent experiences with the go3g usb modem it would be much appreciated. I have a heck of a time getting it to work consistently and the techs at both AIS and True are totally baffled. Last night after the True technician gave up, my girlfriend and I did some fiddling and figured out that True GPRS needs a password so we filled in "true" and then were able to connect. Also under the device manager and modem, AIS has no initialization string and True has a funky one like +cgdcont=1,"ip","internet". Since I use both AIS and True sim cards in this modem I set up two different hardware profiles, one with that init string for True and another with no init string for AIS.

The funniest thing is that I can get one of the services to work, but then when I disconnect I am not able to reconnect. I get errors like "sim is locked" (from the go3g software) or windows tells me that there is a problem with my modem- and these problems vary. Sometimes I ditch the go3g modem and just use my Motorola 6267 quad-band cell phone to connect, but it sure would be a lot easier if I could use the edge modem full-time.

I also wonder if go3g has any support website that will update the drivers or the firmware on this unit. I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks a million!!!!