Family Accommodation - Kata Or Karon

Daewoo

I know that ThaiVisa is really an expat communication board, not a tourism information board, but since I have been an somewhat active member here for 2 1/2 years I hope you will all take some mercy on me…

I also know that as you all live in Phuket, you don't often stay in hotels in Phuket, but hopefully you will be able to help me out a bit anyway…

I am bringing the whole family to Thailand for 10 days in Nov, being (Aussie) Wife and I (36), + My Mum (65) and 2 sons (3 and 5)… I am looking for accommodation, probably resort style, 5 nights in Phuket, and 5 nights in Krabi… I assume we will be spending a lot of time in the resort, because it is just easier than trying to drag kids around all the time… and they will still like it…

I am thinking Karon or Kata, being big enough to have places to go and eat, but not crazy like Patong… a bit more removed from the bar scene as well for the Wife and my old Mum… Still close enough to Patong that we can go there once or twice, and I can get a few cleansing ales in at some time… keen to take advice on this one...

I think we will hire a van to get around, and probably a motorbike as well (I will send the family home after 10 days, then head up north riding for 20 days)...

So - nice resort, easy walk to the beach…

Friendly staff - smaller is better from a friendliness point of view I guess…

Facilities on site a big influence… especially pools 'cause my wife could live in a nice pool...

Price is an issue, need to keep it under about 2500THB/room, especially since I will probably need 2 rooms...

I've been looking at doing the booking through agoda.com but it seems like prices are still very high, despite the greatly reduced tourist numbers…

Any comments, helpful advice, hints, links, referrals appreciated…

Cheers,

Daewoo

The Hilton Arcadia in Karon is very nice and was not originally a Hilton. Has child care, tennis, a golf range, pools and is opposite the beach. Very large and lovely grounds too.

Only downfall is it is about a 15 minute walk to cheaper eateries.

I would recommend to look at TripAdvisor DOT com too.

Oops just realized the budget. For November everything goes up Nov 1!

It is the beginning of the high season.

Perhaps Centara but I am not sure of the rates but family friendly and good reviews on TA

Edited by MisterMan

Oops just realized the budget. For November everything goes up Nov 1!

It is the beginning of the high season.

Yeah... that is the problem with the current Australian Paeso...

Thanks for the tips, I will look into them..

Cheers,

Daewoo