Used Engine Oil

Have heard from one mechanic only about this practice in Thailand; but would guess that a good portion of used motor oil is added (mixed) with the fuel in a diesel vehicle.

This diesel/used motor oil mix works like a charm; once a year in Canada, with collection amongst friends, was able to drive about 3500 kms on 100% used motor oil as fuel. This was done in a diesel engine converted to run on waste vegable oil, in Canadian temperatures, allowing the fuel to be preheated before injection. An diesel engine operating on 100% waste engine oil runs both quieter and with less black smoke.

I would be wary of putting anything other than diesel fuel in the tank of a modern common-rail direct-injection engine. The older indirect-injection diesels will run on almost anything (the man who collects our used cooking oil puts it straight in his old Nissan) :)

I'll move this to Motoring.

• Like 1

The mechanic at my service station sells all his used all to chainsaw operators who use it to lubricate their chains.

Used engine oil can actually be trans-esterfied into a similar product to "bio-diesel", however, the conversion factors are not that economical.

I would be wary of putting anything other than diesel fuel in the tank of a modern common-rail direct-injection engine. The older indirect-injection diesels will run on almost anything (the man who collects our used cooking oil puts it straight in his old Nissan) :)

I'll move this to Motoring.

Crossy is correct; do not add waste engine oils to a modern diesel engine unless the oil is absolutely filtered to 2 microns or less. And also only if you have an understanding of the resulting mix viscosities at ambient temperatures. So why bother, there are so many mechanicaly injected diesels here.

In warmer climates such as QLd Australia and of cause Thailand you can mix 50/50 vegetable oil/used engine oil with Diesel. This will work fine on older mechanical injected engines. No need to treat the oil just filter and boil out water from used cooking oil. Many truck drivers put the used engine oil striaght into the fuel tank.

Edited by garyh

You can bring it to me, I throw it in my car. Changing oil is bullshit. I'm running a Opel Corsa 1.4 8V petrol here with 370.000 on the clock, still going fresh and doing about 1:22. But I throw old oil in all of my cars engines. No problems.

You can bring it to me, I throw it in my car. Changing oil is bullshit. I'm running a Opel Corsa 1.4 8V petrol here with 370.000 on the clock, still going fresh and doing about 1:22. But I throw old oil in all of my cars engines. No problems.

Eventually the oil ways are going to block with sludge.

Running on old oil, you will eventually lose compression also. Old oil breaks down and your piston will skore the cylinder walls as the oil no longer provides a barrier between these moving parts. Steel rubbing on steel, at thousands of revolutions per minute, without an effective barrier between them...need I say more...

The oil can be re-cycled forever as lubricating oil if the contaminants are removed from the base oil and new additives added.

Without filtering it's not good for using as fuel.

Running on old oil, you will eventually lose compression also. Old oil breaks down and your piston will skore the cylinder walls as the oil no longer provides a barrier between these moving parts. Steel rubbing on steel, at thousands of revolutions per minute, without an effective barrier between them...need I say more...

Isn't happened to me so far, before that happens, my car is on 350.000 on the clock, so by that time it's okay.

Offcourse you forget that oil comes out of the ground( although not crude oil, when eventually used ), and is allready millions of years old. So when you talking of "old" oil in your engine, think again.

Edited by Datsun240Z

Keep in mind that motor oils is an exact science, at the atomic level. If you used mixed or mysterious engine into your car...your car will suffer in the wrong run.

It is like you, getting a milk shake and someone didn't tell you that he put a dead rat in it to make it....would you drink that?

How would your car's engine feel? even they mixed filter in many times, you need to check how they clean and mixed it.

I will reuse motor oil or mixed with diesel+mixed motor pol if it was been clean in industry grade manner.

Isn't happened to me so far, before that happens, my car is on 350.000 on the clock, so by that time it's okay.

Offcourse you forget that oil comes out of the ground( although not crude oil, when eventually used ), and is allready millions of years old. So when you talking of "old" oil in your engine, think again.

I don't believe that your car has gone 350,000km on the factory oil. Are you are try to say that the oil has "Never been changed"!??? Cars do not use "crude oil from the ground". It is highly refined and contains many other additives to protect your motor. Although parts of you "old oil"(yes it is old because it has been too long since it was refined for use in a motor) no longer has the right blend so it not protecting your engine like it should. You can just rub it between your fingers and feel the difference. There is no questioning it.

As the Thais say, "Up to you!" I will leave it at that as your logic is flawed (or simply lacking).

I don't believe that your car has gone 350,000km on the factory oil. Are you are try to say that the oil has "Never been changed"!??? Cars do not use "crude oil from the ground". It is highly refined and contains many other additives to protect your motor. Although parts of you "old oil"(yes it is old because it has been too long since it was refined for use in a motor) no longer has the right blend so it not protecting your engine like it should. You can just rub it between your fingers and feel the difference. There is no questioning it.

As the Thais say, "Up to you!" I will leave it at that as your logic is flawed (or simply lacking).

Not factory oil, The first oil change is necessary, because the wear in from the motor the first thousand kilometers, alot of metal coming free, from for instance the rings bedding into the wall etc. After that never changed yes. If you believe it or not.

I know how motor-oil is been made, I even worked at Shell Raffinaderij :) for pipe maintenance. It's just a big joke, the whole oil industry. Even some Dutch topman of Castrol oil said it, but he was fired long before he could do damage :D