I Think I'm Falling In Love

Plus

I was reading ubuntu forums and came across this one hundred fourteen page thread (yes, 114) on whether Linux is better than Windows, and, so far on page 9, I still haven't encountered ONE single abusive post.

Come to think of it, I've never seen an abusive post on any of Linux forums.

Sure, Linux is a struggle, but I'm so much happier to go through it with these people than with any of the i-fans or generic (pirate) Windows crowd.

Sorry I was too IQ-challenged to join in earlier, that's life, you don't get to choose your parents (or preferable operating system).

What can Windows do that Linux can't

Disclaimer - happier doesn't mean easier.

Amen!

The O/S is so easy to install - live - and so small, it should be installed by default, as most folks only have a couple simplistic tasks, on the net. Later, as one matures, there are so many more choices. I have 15 Operating Systems currently - one only is M$.

Bubba

Indeed - I hate derogatory, flame posts, especially from ignoramuses.

Linux isn't that hard. I have a co-worker who bought a new HP laptop...loaded to the gills. Dual hdd, blu-ray, whole nine yards. SuSE installed without hiccup. Even had the wi-fi drivers (Atheros). Only issue was the sound wasn't being supported-there was a conflict since it uses a ATI chip. Sorted that out for him, gave him a printout from the support forum describing how to install the restricted codecs and he's extremely happy.

And this guy's youngest daughter is my age and he calls it a 'computing machine'....:)

I have been using Linux for about six months now, and can't see myself going back to Windows. But I was one that stuck with OS/2 until the bitter end. :)

I started with Ubuntu and have now switched to Mint, based on Ubuntu. It has a nicer interface and the all multimedia stuff and java works straight away.

I still need to access Windows via VirtualBox to use my Garmin Mapsource GPS software, update my stupid windows "smart" phone, and when I want to use Nero for DVD authoring. That is about it.

Apparently some people fall in love and are able to get excited easily.

And others jump on the first thing they see, especially if others are doing the same, and stay in the marriage no matter how miserable it makes them.....

• 2 weeks later...

so, speaking of Linux, -I have been messing around with Unix since before Linux. When Linux got invented, I mistook the other hackers conversations over IRC for RedBox instead of RedHat, I figured it was some kind of swiss army knife of code that allowed all sorts of advanced telephony from basic parts, so I ignored it at first, for a few months.

then realized what it was, and adopted it. this was before there was even a world wide web. and search was archie, WAIS, and some others, and BITNET (the other interNET).

if you really break it down, and I mean this in all good-hearted nature, "past the desktop UI/ windows vs. whatever PC", I think you'll be in for a treat.

have you ever ran Prospero scripts to have a telescope track and monitor a celestial body? (no sex jokes ya goons!)

what about bots? ever make a bot do something hecka useful? what about automated builds, like cobbler, -ever tried those out? what about flavors like Gentoo? or Debian Sarge?

How about BSD? OpenBSD especially. http://www.google.com/linux proves Larry and Sergey owe their wealth in some part to Mr. Torvalds.

http://www.google.com/bsd proves that Berkeley made it's mark. The academics outdid the biz guys.

what about hardcore tcp/ip traffic analysis? memcached? squid? so many factors beyond desktop sitting idle in your "desktop server" -want to make a distributed linux cluster out of our idling PC's throughout Phuket? how about a Neural Net?

windows won't even fit on the required hardware to enter space and execute work, machine, software, optics, thermal, laser or otherwise. the PC debate shorts the actual power and potential of Unix on the PC, a.k.a. Linux.

-wonder if there's an even more powerful OS now, secretly created by Larry & Serge, or others. would it be ANSI compliant?

• 3 months later...
I was reading ubuntu forums and came across this one hundred fourteen page thread (yes, 114) on whether Linux is better than Windows, and, so far on page 9, I still haven't encountered ONE single abusive post.

Come to think of it, I've never seen an abusive post on any of Linux forums.

Well, you can start here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Portable-Ubu...ws-t270825.html

Usually it's the Apple Bonkers with all the high-minded delusions about themselves that like to start a fuss. You gotta admit, defining yourself by the brand-names you patronize is pretty sad.

Things have improved in Unix-land in the age of Linux. Used to be if you posted a technical question on the net it was likely you'd get a good, correct answer, and then in the last paragraph of the message you'd get flamed for being such a moron for not knowing it yourself. Not as much of that these days.

So you see, the world is becoming a better place! All we need now is to just get rid of poverty, racism and a few dozen other things, then we're all set.

Edited by bendejo

I was determined to use the new Ubuntu on my laptop but I wasn't able to get my CCU 680 EVDO modem to work properly. I does connect to my Nokia phone very easily. I should add that I could get EVDO to work, but had to jump through hoops each time I wanted to connect.

Often good plans fail. My wife now has several learn English programs installed on the laptop so Linux has been scrapped. It appears that my laptop has been appropriated. I'm not sure what she will do when the Win 7 Ultimate trial expires.

• 1 month later...
I have been using Linux for about six months now, and can't see myself going back to Windows. But I was one that stuck with OS/2 until the bitter end. :)

I started with Ubuntu and have now switched to Mint, based on Ubuntu. It has a nicer interface and the all multimedia stuff and java works straight away.

I still need to access Windows via VirtualBox to use my Garmin Mapsource GPS software, update my stupid windows "smart" phone, and when I want to use Nero for DVD authoring. That is about it.

I've been trying to move to Linux for a long time now. Only recently have the distribution CDs produced a working desktop on my computer. But I still am stuck with problems that require research to sort out. On Windows, things just work, or if you are missing something, you get a prompt to install it.