Out Of Diesel

I had an experience that for me is new. I ran out of fuel and got stuck for an hour or so.

I have a Dmax about 3 years old. I am one of those people that never runs out so this was a new experience. I do not carry a small spare can of fuel. Lucky I was just within a few minutes of the wife and we are in town so nothing bad except the inconvenience.

She spent some time finding someone with a can of fuel and a hose but problem solved.

What I want to know is? My owners manual mentions this low level light and in the English book it says, " When the low fuel light is illuminated the fuel tank is nearly empty so refill with fuel quickly." I'm not sure how many kilos I drove with the light "on" but obviously too manny.

I know the Dmax has a maximum capacity of about 76 liters. I hav tanked up with as much as 65 liters before and the light was already "on"

Can anyone tell me what level the low fuel light will come "on"?

I doubt it's an exact number as it will depend on if the vehicle is sitting level or not but the factory settings must be something like10 or 15 liters.

Anyone?

NEVER run your fuel tank too low, normally start picking up water and crap at the bottom from shitty fuel if your vendors storage tanks are low. I know for a fact I have crap in my tank as below 1/8 the DMax starts missing. Draining it is on my list of things to do.

In the past my fuel light came on at about 8 liters or 100 kms. (3.0 litre Automatic)

Edited by bdenner

I agree seems to be about 65Km to go when the light comes on, I have also heard that the light goes on when you have 10-15% left in the tank.

My cars manual tells me that the warning light comes on at 7.8lit left, the capacity of the tank is 65lit.

So check the manual for an exact answer.

Edit: just noted that Longball checked his manual, strange to leave out that info...

Tommy

Edited by 63Tommy1

NEVER run your fuel tank too low, normally start picking up water and crap at the bottom from shitty fuel if your vendors storage tanks are low. I know for a fact I have crap in my tank as below 1/8 the DMax starts missing. Draining it is on my list of things to do.

In the past my fuel light came on at about 8 liters or 100 kms. (3.0 litre Automatic)

My old man never had a diesel or even much of a car really but one thing he did say about motors was never to run them empty because of what you say, all the crap floating around. Now he will have been talking about stuff from 1950's and since but it made sense.

What I never understand is why people run out (ok, I do see once in 50 lifetimes there is some valid reason, maybe) but why run low ? Are you going to chuck the vehicle away when the fuel is used up or are you going to refill it ? I tend to refill when it gets to about a 3/4 empty. I just fill it up but often the missus puts in Bt500 or Bt1000. Then again, she only fills it up when I am away.

Just a little bug bear with me this running out of fuel thing as it seems such an easy thing to avoid. Sort of like putting Bt500 away (the 1/4 fuel) and forgetting abut it.

I have never seem the low fuel light come on with either of my vehicles. I'm not sure they even work because whenever my gage drops below 1/4, I start looking for a gas station. E20 gasoline is still not that easy to find and regular diesel is still more common than B5 so it makes sense to me to have enough time to find my choice of fuels.

I'm bad! I know it!

Gents, in 50 years of driving this is the first time I have ever run her dry on any vehicle I have ever owned or rented. I worked field service for years and averaged at least 40k to 60k miles a year on a company truck plus personal vehicles and boats. I know the ramifications of going too low or empty.

I am a complete dumb-sh*t. I knew the light was on moment it came on and I ignored it for some time. We are in the middle of a new house build and this was the day before move-in day and I just flat ignored it.

Thanks for the input on the low level light. The feedback is close to what I have already guessed as I mentioned I have filled up with the light on and put in as much as 65 liters. My feeling the set point for the light is around 10 to 15 liters remaining.

I can assure all that this will NOT happen to me again.

I'm bad! I know it!

Since you have performed the experiment :)

Did you have any difficulty getting the engine to re-start?

With the older mechanical injection system running out of fuel was a real no-no and required beeding of the fuel system to get the engine going again (a messy and involved process). I assume a common-rail system is more idiot-proof, we do after all have a DIN standard idiot (been there, done that, but only in a pertol engined vehicle) :D

With the older mechanical injection system running out of fuel was a real no-no and required beeding of the fuel system to get the engine going again (a messy and involved process). I assume a common-rail system is more idiot-proof, we do after all have a DIN standard idiot (been there, done that, but only in a pertol engined vehicle) :)

Wth the very old mechanical (piston) pumps as used on tractors, heavy trucks, etc. you're right, always required bleeding.

Most diesel cars, light vans etc. since early 80's had rotary pumps & would generally "pull through" without the need to bleed.

I assume a common-rail system is more idiot-proof

Sadly not, infact can be pigs to bleed. Just done one this morning (Ford Transit van........ rarely seen in Thailand), had to slack off 3 out of 4 injector pipes.

However this was because it was airlocked due to fitting new filter. If the guy had filled the filter with diesel before fitting, MAY have got away with it.

Edited by Lancashirelad

Once a small can of fresh diesel was delivered and poured into the tank the motor started after about 3 or 4 attempts. I did not crank the engine more than 5 or 6 seconds at a time.

The book actually refers to a specific procedure for bleeding the air out.

They recommend to do the following:

Refill the tank

Switch on the ignition key for 15 seconds with no attempt to start the vehicle

Repeat this process 5 more times

On the sixth time then start the vehicle

Being a normal human end user I ignored this and did it my way and the truck started.