What's The Best Chinese Restaurant In Chiangmai?

Rasseru

My search skills may be more limited than I think, but as far as I can tell, and it surprises me that it should be so, the subject of what the best Chinese restaurant in Chiangmai is does not seem to have come up before.

So, what do you all think? What's your favourite Chinese restaurant in town?

I've been twice to Yangzi Jiang on Nimmanhaemin's Soi 5, both times for dim sum only, and was very favourably impressed, so much so that I plan to go back some time soon to try some other dishes.

Edited by Rasseru

It's the business, IMO better than Yangzi, which last time I went there a year ago was quite expensive and had an air about it which I find difficult to explain. Kind of subdued background chat, minimalist decor and maybe too much of a hi so atmosphere for me. I prefer a chinatown buzz when eating my favourite cuisine.

Jia Hong Teng is simply the best IMO and prices are fair for the excellent quality.

Jia Tong Heng is a Chinese restauarant of Cantonese style, serving a similar cuisine to that in Chinatowns worldwide.

Established 3 generations earlier in Wororot market, it then moved 12 years ago to its’ current location. It’s a large fronted restaurant and easily found by turning left into Sri Dornchai road coming from the night bazaar on Changklan road. After 150 metres, it’s on the left

The place is impressive with high ceilings, wood paneled walls and terrazzo style flooring. The seats are comfortable booth types and centrally featured, are two large party size round turntables akin to Hong Kong establishments. Go through to the back where the most impressive Asian design bathrooms can be found and beyond, another spacious but more intimate dining room. With yet more seating upstairs there is room to accommodate more than 300 guests throughout.

The service is good with staff attentive, polite and smartly dressed.

A comprehensive easy to follow menu in English with pictures to match makes for easy ordering. The food is outstanding, probably the best Chinese in Chiang Mai and very reasonably priced considering its’ first grade quality and overall presentation.

A typical meal of king prawns and sugar peas, baked ribs in ginger,, squid with spring onions and a soup filled with spare ribs and bamboo shoots, with rice for 3 and no alcohol the bill would come in at 430b.

A must for Chinese lovers and the doors open from 10 until 10pm.

Regards Bojo

post-75277-1248515085_thumb.jpg

post-75277-1248515341_thumb.jpg

I am a Jia Tong Heng fan also, but for something more casual, I like Hong Kong Noodles on the small soi after the Shangri La that has a few Italian restaurants on it (or did in the past). The hot and sour soup is very close to what I have enjoyed in Singapore and good Chinese restaurants in San Francisco.

I am a Jia Tong Heng fan also, but for something more casual, I like Hong Kong Noodles on the small soi after the Shangri La that has a few Italian restaurants on it (or did in the past). The hot and sour soup is very close to what I have enjoyed in Singapore and good Chinese restaurants in San Francisco.

Cheers for the tip, I like casual.

Regards bojo

It's the business, IMO better than Yangzi, which last time I went there a year ago was quite expensive and had an air about it which I find difficult to explain. Kind of subdued background chat, minimalist decor and maybe too much of a hi so atmosphere for me. I prefer a chinatown buzz when eating my favourite cuisine.

Jia Hong Teng is simply the best IMO and prices are fair for the excellent quality.

Jia Tong Heng is a Chinese restauarant of Cantonese style, serving a similar cuisine to that in Chinatowns worldwide.

Established 3 generations earlier in Wororot market, it then moved 12 years ago to its’ current location. It’s a large fronted restaurant and easily found by turning left into Sri Dornchai road coming from the night bazaar on Changklan road. After 150 metres, it’s on the left

The place is impressive with high ceilings, wood paneled walls and terrazzo style flooring. The seats are comfortable booth types and centrally featured, are two large party size round turntables akin to Hong Kong establishments. Go through to the back where the most impressive Asian design bathrooms can be found and beyond, another spacious but more intimate dining room. With yet more seating upstairs there is room to accommodate more than 300 guests throughout.

The service is good with staff attentive, polite and smartly dressed.

A comprehensive easy to follow menu in English with pictures to match makes for easy ordering. The food is outstanding, probably the best Chinese in Chiang Mai and very reasonably priced considering its’ first grade quality and overall presentation.

A typical meal of king prawns and sugar peas, baked ribs in ginger,, squid with spring onions and a soup filled with spare ribs and bamboo shoots, with rice for 3 and no alcohol the bill would come in at 430b.

A must for Chinese lovers and the doors open from 10 until 10pm.

Regards Bojo

But do they serve Aromatic Crispy Duck Pancakes? :)

Have you tried <deleted> Jian at the Mandarin Oriental?

A bit pricey but it's awesome! They have Thailand's best deep fried pigeons (according to me :) )

Also, if you are going for Dim Sum / Yum Cha, Jasmine at Royal Princess is the place to go. Of high quality and very cheap as well.

I haven't been that impressed with the Chinese food I've eaten in CM so I'll look forward to trying these one's out.

I love hot and sour soup

chinese food! would say Jia Tong Heng (get their specials on Shark's Fin Soup).

BUT, nothing beats taking a flight down to Malaysia, Penang or KL for some good chinese food.

Items to order:

Chili Crabs

Yee Mee Kung Foo

Hokkien Mee Hoon Mee

Pai Kuat (pork Ribs)

ChingKong Tohu

Sweet and Sour Pork

Sambal Chicken

Claypot Chicken

and a lot more!

Let me assure you that the Malaysian and Singaporean chinese food is out of this world.

After living in Hong Kong for 6 years I vote for Mee Jiang (sister restaurant of Yangzi Jiang) in the Chang Klan Plaza for traditional, inexpensive Cantonese style Chinese food. Try the crabmeat and fishmaw soup or the duck tongue if your brave!

Where is Chang Klan Plaza please? Malaysia/Singapore sounds great, but some of us have to work. :)

The soi next to the Shangri-La with the restaurant you recommended!

Regards Bojo

Where can I get some pot stickers?

pot%20stickers%20close.jpg

Hi Ajarn,

If you want to cook these yourself, they can be found ready to cook in Rimping supermarket, on the shelving to the left of the wet fish area.

If you want them cooked then you could go to the Carrefour food court where they, (goyozo), are cooked at a place on the opposite end to where the drinks are sold. That is on the left hand side as you're looking at the row of cooking areas in front of you,(almost in the "L").

Hope this helps.

there's a little stall just after the corner between Thapae and Chang Puak if you are on the inside of the moat, that sells gyoza and some other Japanese food. It's open between six pm and midnight. 20 baht for 5 pieces I think. Not amazing, but not bad either.

As for dim sum, or as they call it here - kanom jeep - the best I have tried is from a townhouse shop on the way to the train station, not long after you go over the bridge, near the Big Bikes shop (same side). Open early til 3pm. 20 baht for 5 large dumplings. Delicious! They have bean buns too, and lots of chinese sweets/snacks.

I've been twice to Yangzi Jiang on Nimmanhaemin's Soi 5, both times for dim sum only, and was very favourably impressed, so much so that I plan to go back some time soon to try some other dishes.

I tried Yangzi Jiang on Nimmanhaemin's Soi 5 today and was most impressed. The Dim Sum was much better than other places that I have tried and seemed larger and home made, rather than being churned out factory style.

One item that I ordered what looked like Chinese Pot stickers and they were good. Ajarn mentioned that he is looking for these.

Rasseru and his wife were there, but I did not ask them if they have experimented more with the menu. I did get one non-Dim Sum item on the menu - some kind of big, flat fried noodle - but wasn't as impressed with that as the Dim Sum.

We also went down the street and had desert at I Berry, which has lots of beautiful students and looks like it might give Love at First Bite some competition.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hey, Ulysses G. Good to see you today, and very glad you liked it. Yes, my wife and I went there for dinner the other day, with two friends of ours. We had a number of dishes, including one with the name, or something like it, of 'aromatic duck', which was similar to Peking duck, differing though in that the meat and skin were in one mixture to be loaded onto the pancakes. All the dishes we had were very good, and all four of us plan to go back.

In your opinion, how many people would share the "Aromatic" duck normally if having other dishes? It is fairly expensive for one person, but I would guess that it would be at least a few small portions.

By the way, did they have "Peking Duck" on the menu? I seem to remember something that I thought was the original dish.

Edited by Ulysses G.

In your opinion, how many people would share the "Aromatic" duck normally if having other dishes? It is fairly expensive for one person, but I would guess that it would be at least a few small portions.

By the way, did they have "Peking Duck" on the menu? I seem to remember something that I thought was the original dish.

We ordered the half-size aromatic duck, and it was more than enough for four. We did not notice Peking duck on the menu, but it could have been there.

Found a great Chinese restaurant this luchtime on the Mahidon Road. Surprisingly it's called China Kitchen. It's open early until 10pm. It's unpretentious, clean, smart but basic in decor and serves up typically fast and just the best Cantonese and schechuan dishes at a very affordable price. The owner, quite sympathetic by Chinese standards was fairly helpful at taking our order but was a 100mph.

The menu's in Thai without any pictures and I was lucky enough to have my wife who incidentally knows nothing about Chinese cuisine, begrudgingly translate for me (she's so lazy!). Anyway we topped up with a huge crab, bamboo and white mushroom soup for 3, served with 3 smaller bowls and a ladel, @80b, chinese cabbage braised with crabmeat @ 60b, stir fried broad noodles, mixed meat and kale @ 45b and schechuan pork, about 80b and 3 bowls of steamed rice, ice and water, Total 305b. The menus fairly comprehensive but perhaps small by some Chinese restaurant standards. If you've no translator, judging by the standard of all our dishes we we're served, I'm sure you could order 'pin a tail on a donkey blindfolded' style and be very satisfied.

Excellent value compared to some restaurants of similar standard in town, absolutely delicious dishes, just the U-turns to negotiate on the Mahidon road !

Heading out on the Mahidon road and passing the Chiang Mai land road on the left, the turning you need to take is just 50metres past on the other side of the road, which you can't because of the central reservation. First head to the river Ping exit a few hundred metres up on the left and U-turn under the bridge. heading into town again, pat a fairly large builders merchant you take the small Soi (see pic enclosed for visual reference) and the place is the second shop in on the right. If you miss the turning on the Mahidon Road and pass The Athena (Kookpuntville moo baan) you gone a few hundred metres too far.

I shall be going there regulary.

Regards Bojo

post-75277-1249538066_thumb.jpg

post-75277-1249538215_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

"Taiwan Restaurant" on Huay Kaew Rd across from the Shell station does dumplings, both fried and steamed. They're on the smallish side but at 60 baht for a dozen, they're not bad.

Otherwise my two favorite Chinese restaurants are Jia Tong Heng and the Yunanese restaurant on Ratchamanka Rd.

Anyone tried the dim sum in the Gold Leaf Chinese restaurant in the Imperial Mai Ping?

"arguably the best dim sum in Chiang Mai" says their banner...

So very many things may be argued! :)

My observation of that fact is in no way intended as a comment on the Gold Leaf Chinese restaurant, which I do not know.