Apple Mac Mini

alexandria

Just wondering if any one has yet purchased a Mac Mini ..? and can offer any comments on this new machine..?

Thanks

I've not purchased one but I have played with them at the Apple retail stores. I had iChat, a Quicktime Trailer and a Keynote presentation all running at about 60% of CPU. I was pleasantly suprised. Seems like a snappy little machine. You don't want to author DVDs using the little thing but for iTunes, internet, etc its a nice little bite of the Apple... so to speak.

Thanks , mgnewman and night_rider for the info, At the moment I am running an old CPU , but with a new 17'' Flat monitor, so the Mac Mini seem's the way to go

the only thing I will be using the Mac Mini machine for is e.mail, surfing, and digital photos, I am not sure if the super drive is really necessary in my case..? or just go for the combo drive. the machine that's fits my budget would be the....

• 1GB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM

• 80GB Ultra ATA drive

• Combo Drive

• 56K v.92 Modem

• Mac OS X - U.S. English

• 1.42GHz PowerPC G4

Subtotal $924.00

the Super Drive is 100 $ more ..?

do you know if the .....• Internal Bluetooth + AirPort Extreme Card

which I think is an extra 70 $could be used to connect to GPRS or EDGE , as I am moving out to the sticks and a phone line may take some time to get.

and as for thr Tiger , release , I will not be buying the Apple Mac Mini until I move in June. so it may work out just right,

thanks for the comments ......

PS any more Apple Mac users out there..?

From what I read on the specs page of the Mac Mini, the optional super drive is an older model. It only supports 4x DVD writing, when most of today's current drives write at 12x or 16x. Probably not worth the upgrade. You can get an external 16x drive for about the same price. Given that there is only one memory slot, and opening up the case is fairly difficult, the 1GB upgrade is probably a good choice. They don't specify the RPM of the internal 2.5" (laptop) harddisk, but I'm guessing 5400rpm.

alexandria I'm curious why you went with the 1.42 GHz model. Yeah there's a little more punch there but the mini was never designed to be the workhorse that the dual cpu G5s are. Did you do it for the hard drive? I guess generally if you're after more punch once you're close to the $1000 mark I'd tip the scales and just go for an iMac. With the built in 17in cinema display you could sell your flat panel on eBay to help make up the difference.

If you're cheap, like me, and were attracted to the mini because you just wanted something for the internet and digital photos then I'd go with the 1.25GHz and purchase just the base unit for $499. While I am a big fan of Apple's products and their BSD based operating system I am not a fan of how they price their upgrades. Even though they've lowered the price for DDR and hard drives since introducing the mini I wouldn't give them $325 for a 1Gb stick of PC2700 memory that I can buy at Newegg for well less than $200 with better latency specs. If you're in Bangkok I'd shop Pantip and similar locales for prices on PC2700 memory and ask if the Apple store will install it for a nominal fee if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. They say cracking the case on the mini is daunting but the memory sits right at the edge of the case and shouldn't be a hassle to replace. If you want a larger hard drive I'd do the same with a USB2 or Firewire external.

But then I"m cheap. ###### I've even called Apple to see if they'd sell me an iMac with no memory or hard drive. They didn't care for that idea.

Hi guys

I am also considering the jump from PC to Mac, and was wondering if someone could explain how best to compare the processing speeds for a Mac and PC?

I understand that the two systems work in very different ways, and was therefore wondering if there is a 'rule of thumb' that will tell me roughly how the speed of a Mac at 1.4Ghz would compare to a PC at say 2.6Ghz?

Thanks

Rags

> I am also considering the jump from PC to Mac, and was

> wondering if someone could explain how best to compare

> the processing speeds for a Mac and PC?

I'd say that's a complete non-issue. Or perhaps I should rephrase that:

Current spec PC - Processing speed: Adequate

Current spec Mac - Processing speed: Adequate

You're really not changing because of processing speed, unless you're a math-nerd desperately wanting to calculate 'pi' in to a gazillion digits behind the dot.

You'd be changing because of the overall package, design, feel, style, fashion, stability, user friendliness.

(And in my opinion, in that order, too :o Other's would put stability, security and ease of use first I'm sure. :D

Ok seriously, a lower CPU speed doesn't say it all either. Actually where the Mac Mini may be lagging the most could be in 3d Graphic power for games. For everyday productivity stuff I doubt you'd see much difference between a 2.6 Ghz Windows box and a 1.whatever GHz Max.

Macs and PCs don't have the exact same programs, and don't run exactly the same way. Therefore, you cannot do direct comparisons between the two. What chanchao said is pretty relevant, you will get fairly good performance out of today's current PCs/Macs, with the exception of 3d games or CPU intensive tasks (video, math, etc).

Benchmarks shown at hardware sites differ by a few seconds. The average user doesn't really notice this.

Hi night rider,

I had not given any thought to the iMac and it may be worth thinking about, I am not intending to buy a new computer until around June time, so this gives me a chance to check the iMac out, and also see how things go with when more people get a Mac Mini ....? and we start to see more actual user comments , as you say may be as i only want the computer for e.mail. , surfing, and digital photos the 1.25GHz model may be the way to go, and your comment ....I wouldn't give them $325 for a 1Gb stick of PC2700 memory that I can buy at Newegg for well less than $200 with better latency specs. If you're in Bangkok I'd shop Pantip and similar locales for prices on PC2700 memory and ask if the Apple store will install it for a nominal fee if you're not comfortable doing it yourself...... ( I would be too scared to have a go my self ) sounds good advice, I don't really know Bangkok that well, where would be the best place to see a good range of Apple Mac's and may be ask some questions..? .

Thanks.....