From Phuket With Attitude

TaoNow

Hello Southerners. I have seen occasional remarks on the Phuket community forum that refer to the attitude of the locals toward ex-pats as "surly" or "arrogant". I realize that most people who work in Phuket are not from there and don't represent the locals. But, after a few months here (in Phuket town) I have noticed a reluctance to engage in conversation (even though I speak Thai well) when compared to the people I've encountered in my travels to the north and northest of Thailand.

Decades ago, I travelled extensively through the south region, but that was to the provincial towns and only spending a night or two while on work assignments. So I never got to know the "typical" southern Thai -- if there is one. I was curious how you find attitudes toward farang or ex-pats in the other provinces in southern Thailand, and the general level of social interaction with strangers, or with those not too familiar, or with ex-pats in particular.

It's possible that the seeming arrogance/reticence of the Phuket folk is merely the result of being a tourist destination, and the mild resentment of having so many foreigners and unknowns in their midst. Or is there something southern about it?

Comments and observations welcome.

Hello Southerners. I have seen occasional remarks on the Phuket community forum that refer to the attitude of the locals toward ex-pats as "surly" or "arrogant". I realize that most people who work in Phuket are not from there and don't represent the locals. But, after a few months here (in Phuket town) I have noticed a reluctance to engage in conversation (even though I speak Thai well) when compared to the people I've encountered in my travels to the north and northest of Thailand.

Decades ago, I travelled extensively through the south region, but that was to the provincial towns and only spending a night or two while on work assignments. So I never got to know the "typical" southern Thai -- if there is one. I was curious how you find attitudes toward farang or ex-pats in the other provinces in southern Thailand, and the general level of social interaction with strangers, or with those not too familiar, or with ex-pats in particular.

It's possible that the seeming arrogance/reticence of the Phuket folk is merely the result of being a tourist destination, and the mild resentment of having so many foreigners and unknowns in their midst. Or is there something southern about it?

Comments and observations welcome.

Koh Samui is the same, the southerners also speak loudly compared to the rest of the Thais but even though this can appear rude, it's just their way. There are friendly and unfriendly everywhere but most definitely in the north , the Thais are far more friendly. One of the reasons I moved to Chiang Mai.

I would also add, that a different type of foreigner lives in the north also, far more relaxed and at peace with themselves, probably due to age. I don't miss the agressiveness of some of the foreigners who have arrived in Thailand over the last 7/8 years. Luckily most live in the south and are after a fast buck.

Regards Bojo

I've lived in the south for 20 years. I don't find Southerners less friendly, just less willing to tolerate someone else's bad attitude and crap.

Yes, they are loud, they talk fast but I've rarely encountered a bad attitude among true Southerners. But, if you can't understand what they are saying, I suppose its likely that you will assume the worst. Generally, they just lead their lives and don't really feel the need to kowtow to anyone.

I don't find Southerners less friendly, just less willing to tolerate someone else's bad attitude and crap.
Exactly. Personally I like their honesty. You always know where you stand with them.

That said, I think there is quite a bit of tourist/expat burnout among Thais in Phuket. And no wonder, considering some of the people they have to deal with.

• 1 month later...
I've lived in the south for 20 years. I don't find Southerners less friendly, just less willing to tolerate someone else's bad attitude and crap.

Yes, they are loud, they talk fast but I've rarely encountered a bad attitude among true Southerners. But, if you can't understand what they are saying, I suppose its likely that you will assume the worst. Generally, they just lead their lives and don't really feel the need to kowtow to anyone.

Hit the nail on the head there. But hey, they do like to chat at the top of their lungs do they not? I m off to BKK next month for a few days for some peace and quiet!

"Comments and observations welcome" - thanks!

When I lived Karon/Kata I got the feeling that no matter how long I was there i was 'just another tourist' - same people would ask the same questions every time - the suit guy, the t-shirt shops etc i walked past every morning/evening, felt like I was a faceless wallet on legs (likely).

Shifted 'over the hill' (appropriate for me maybe) to the hillside behind Chalong, a garage shop, various roadside eating places, 1km to the main road. Supporting the local economy helped, leasing a place surrounded by 'locals', eating, laundry etc all sorted within 3-400m of home, icecreams and water delivered to my door, and so many sawasdees when I sit outside in the evening. Took a couple of months, and i made the effort to talk, introduce myself etc, and being the odd man who runs and bicycles helped, I don't mind being a curiosity!.

• 2 weeks later...
"Comments and observations welcome" - thanks!

When I lived Karon/Kata I got the feeling that no matter how long I was there i was 'just another tourist' - same people would ask the same questions every time - the suit guy, the t-shirt shops etc i walked past every morning/evening, felt like I was a faceless wallet on legs (likely).

Shifted 'over the hill' (appropriate for me maybe) to the hillside behind Chalong, a garage shop, various roadside eating places, 1km to the main road. Supporting the local economy helped, leasing a place surrounded by 'locals', eating, laundry etc all sorted within 3-400m of home, icecreams and water delivered to my door, and so many sawasdees when I sit outside in the evening. Took a couple of months, and i made the effort to talk, introduce myself etc, and being the odd man who runs and bicycles helped, I don't mind being a curiosity!.

Interesting you mention Karon/Kata, I was only there for a couple of weeks but definitely got the same vibe. Nothing necessarily unpleasant about it just not so openly friendly like. i came away with the impression that Phuket in general was, a bit different. Nothing wrong with it, just, maybe, a bit 'cooler' towards foreigners. The 'loudness' others have pointed out didn't really strike me as a problem, maybe because I live in London, not sure.

Glad you feel happier over the other side of the hill :-)

I sincerely doubt that most of the Thais you meet on Phuket will be local. Koh Phangan and Samui are clear examples. Koh Samui has a (unofficial) population over 120,000 people of which, less than 45,000 are true locals. Koh Phangan has a (unofficial) population over 22,000 of which less than 8000 are true locals.

No Bullshi%% accepted generally tough as nails to.

The old school islanders are the equivalent of dockers from Europe absolute diamonds, they do take there time to get to know you, and do talk in a shouting tone..:)

They also seem a a lot less concerned with intricate losing face just dont cross them.