Top Notch Tailor

triffid

I'm looking for a tailor in Chiangmai who'll make me a dinner jacket, trousers, cummerbund and a dress shirt - ie the full schbang. He should be good and have access to the best materials. Is there such a tailor in Chiangmai? If not, I would appreciate suggestions in Bangkok too.

I'm looking for a tailor in Chiangmai who'll make me a dinner jacket, trousers, cummerbund and a dress shirt - ie the full schbang. He should be good and have access to the best materials. Is there such a tailor in Chiangmai? If not, I would appreciate suggestions in Bangkok too.

As in the past, I've got some fab. stuff made at Crowns from all sorts of fabric ranges. I'm sure they stock some of the very best stuff too. They'll definitely be able to solve your clothing issues!

They're pretty much at the Nana Sky train station, just 20 seconds walk inside of Sukhumvit soi 8, Crown Tailors.

I remember a thread similar to this running a few months back - I got the impression from that thread that a number of the posters believed that the suits ordered came from a central factory and were thus quite similar in quality and cut. I'd like to know for sure.

I had one suit made years ago (from the place that advertises in the Thai airways magazine), I was not terribly impressed with it and felt that often suits off the rack (i.e. Next, Ted Baker etc in the UK) were of higher quality.

I dont think there are any tailors in Chiangmai that can match the skills of those in Bangkok.

Bangkok, the business district , any big to small shops can provide you with top notch quality ready in few days.

I usualy prefer to use the smaller ones where price can be negotiated and service and attention to details far better.

I have been a frequent customer of Excelsuits and can say that they provide top notch quality at the most reasonable price.

They are located near the busy patpong market.

These friendly tailor speak both English and French.

:) We have been using Fashion King for the last couple of years and

have always found their work outstanding. Frank and Vanita will fit

you well and offer the most up to date advice on fabric and design.

They will have you in for as many fittings as you feel necessary to get the

garment to fit exactly as you want. They are located just off the Night Market.

Has anyone tried Neramit?

I have been using him for the last 20 years, and he is the best in Chiangmai!!

:) We have been using Fashion King for the last couple of years and

have always found their work outstanding. Frank and Vanita will fit

you well and offer the most up to date advice on fabric and design.

They will have you in for as many fittings as you feel necessary to get the

garment to fit exactly as you want. They are located just off the Night Market.

I value both these recommendations. An earlier post said Chiangmai tailors are simply not up to Bangkok standards. Any comment on that? Have you had a suit made with either of these? If these tailors are pretty much up to BKK standards I'd much prefer to do it in CNX

I value both these recommendations. An earlier post said Chiangmai tailors are simply not up to Bangkok standards. Any comment on that? Have you had a suit made with either of these? If these tailors are pretty much up to BKK standards I'd much prefer to do it in CNX

Pray tell what is a Bangkok standard. Apart from Mumbai, there are more "tailors" per square kilometer in Bangkok that anywhere else, and a good proportion using central workshops.

Neramit is the only one in Chiangmai I would class as a "bespoke tailor" and I've tried a few over the years.

Do a forum search, as there have been dozens of similar threads over the years.

Pray tell what is a Bangkok standard. Apart from Mumbai, there are more "tailors" per square kilometer in Bangkok that anywhere else, and a good proportion using central workshops.

Neramit is the only one in Chiangmai I would class as a "bespoke tailor" and I've tried a few over the years.

Do a forum search, as there have been dozens of similar threads over the years.

You're right that the phrase was vague and near meaningless; but I meant 'average' or 'usual' - maybe that's vague and meaningless too. Anyway, you obviously are an old hand in the matter of tailor-made clothes. I'll pay Neramit a visit - for an initial chat and a price. Tahnks for the tip.

In Chiang Mai Neramit has been recommended scores of times on this forum. (Search!)

So look no further Neramit is the man.

The same as Maejo Man I've been using him for years. A top guy & a top tailor.

Edited by davidgtr

Neramit would have been my suggestion too, if I hadn't ordered some shirts and pants through him last year that were CRAP. The pants were a cheap material and he used a dye that washed out in two washings, and the shirt was poor, with the collar and the pocket badly positioned... He is a nice guy, will come to your house if needed, and his prices, not good, not bad, but this is only my opinion.

Buyer Beware :)

Edited by Ajarn

Neramit would have been my suggestion too, if I hadn't ordered some shirts and pants through him last year that were CRAP. The pants were a cheap material and he used a dye that washed out in two washings, and the shirt was poor, with the collar and the pocket badly positioned... He is a nice guy, will come to your house if needed, and his prices, not good, not bad, but this is only my opinion.

Buyer Beware :)

Sorry to hear that you had sub-standard work done Ajarn. I had a suit for my wedding, 5 shirts and 2 other pairs trousers made up, no problems.

Is going to a five star hotel and use their tailor an option, Somehow I think they have a reputation to keep high, or am I thinking too simple?

I would expect that being in a hotel, their prices would be ridiculously high compared to others in the market no?

Is going to a five star hotel and use their tailor an option, Somehow I think they have a reputation to keep high, or am I thinking too simple?

I would expect that being in a hotel, their prices would be ridiculously high compared to others in the market no?

It made no difference (well maybe a slight difference) staying in hotels in BKK and Pattaya. I don't know about CM though.

I am just asking because my son is coming to CM in September and will need a wedding costume.

Edited by cmjantje

• 5 months later...

It's finally coming time for me to get a suit made as well after yrs here and not needing one for anything. I see the consensus is for Neramit. That's fine I'll go by and investigate. My only concern other than quality of the materials which I think I can tell on my own, is will the suitmakers be able to make a really fashionable suit ? I had an experience about 10 yrs ago as a tourist sucker in Phuket and ended up getting a typical 2 suits, 3 shirts n a few ties thrown in package 'deal.' By the time I got home and really looked at what I'd gotten it was clear they were suits but there was no style, no hipness. I'm not after anything trendy, but I don't want anything boring and looking like it should be on a middle-aged European businessman. I want Hollywood/New York/ London style sharp. Anybody got suits made around here that made them feel like they looked sharp ?