Good Live Music In Chiang Mai

muggins

Boy's Blues Band at Guitar Man Bar has to rank up there with the best Live music in Chiang Mai, surely. I saw them tonight and Boy was in exceptional form. I don't know of many musicians in Chiang Mai that can have the effect on me that he does. When he is on form all is well with the world (or to be more precise - 'more well') . The notes just float out of his guitar. Magical. The Multi-talented Nicky on Bass and the Thai version of Keith Moon on drums complete the line-up. Brilliant, I say.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has similar experiences here in Chiang Mai? Musically speaking, of course. Where do you think has the best Live music? Who moves you?

I like Took at The Brasserie too, but I prefer his nephew - the above-mentioned Boy. 

PS - Sorry to sound so upbeat again ( I know it annoys some) I'll try to tone it down a bit. If it's any consolation, I'm working on a '1000 things  I hate about Chiang Mai' post - but it may take a while - I'm only on number 2!

post-86662-1248812429_thumb.jpg

Edited by muggins

I always enjoy the live music @ Riverside, they do covers of rock mainly...U2, Coldplay etc

dont worry bout it Muggins, life's about how you see it :)

Glass-of-water.jpg

Edited by Donnyboy

There's a place I've yet to try, Chai's Blues House - Wat Umong Road (Suthep 4) Suthep Rd. There was a thread about it on the forum not long ago, pretty positive reports from what I remember.

I throw my vote in for that one. Try to get Chai to do his Jimi Hendrix-

. Excellent.

There's a place I've yet to try, Chai's Blues House - Wat Umong Road (Suthep 4) Suthep Rd. There was a thread about it on the forum not long ago, pretty positive reports from what I remember.

Chai is a very friendly guy and an excellent performer! I've been to his place a few times but not since around Songkran. The club has a very nice atmosphere. The only thing thing about his place that is a little unusual is the seating arrangement/location of the stage area. If you are not sitting in a certain spot it is difficult to see the band and the acoustics are not good. The owner or co-owner or someone involved was saying something about correcting this situation, but I don't know if it was ever done.

Does anybody know whether the Boy Bues Band posts their playing schedule on-line? Along the same lines, is there any way to know when Guitarman has a special guest playing? I know they have the little flyers from time to time but I always forget the special dates and miss the bands.

I also want to put in a good word for The Chai Blues House. They need to get more people to show up though. The place next door can be packed while Chai's is pretty much empty. Seems crazy to me when the music is so good.

Does anybody know whether the Boy Bues Band posts their playing schedule on-line? Along the same lines, is there any way to know when Guitarman has a special guest playing? I know they have the little flyers from time to time but I always forget the special dates and miss the bands.

I also want to put in a good word for The Chai Blues House. They need to get more people to show up though. The place next door can be packed while Chai's is pretty much empty. Seems crazy to me when the music is so good.

'Boy' plays at a few different places but I don't know of a schedule for his band specifically. I do know he plays at 10.30pm Tues and 9.00pm on Friday at guitarman. He also plays at The Brasserie, and I think The Garden on walking St on Sundays.

Search 'Boy Blues Band Chiang Mai' and 'Guitarman Chiang Mai' on Youtube to see him play if you haven't seen him. For those that don't know it - he is the nephew of Took at Brasserie.

I'm looking forward to Eddie Baytos on the 14th at Guitarman. He plays Zydeco style music, which I like but never thought I'd hear in Chiang Mai. A real good entertainer too. Guitarman has a page on Myspace and Chai Blues has his own web-site.

Edited by KevinHunt

Almost every time I have been to Chai's I have been one of maybe 2 or 3 customers. The place in front is packed with students who listen mainly to Thai pop music and hip-hop and don't appreciate good blues music. Also the drink prices may be a bit high for them.

I went to Chai Blues House for the first time on sunday. Boy was playing there with Chai and his band. I must say the music was excellent! I especially enjoyed Boy as he looked like he was having so much fun performing. I spoke to both Boy and Chai afterwards and they were both gentlemen.

It was very quiet, only a handful of customers outside of our party group. The drinks were quite expensive (Singha 100 Baht, Heinekin 120 Baht, small Belgium beers 140 Baht). The place itself is nice, they give you nice big glasses to drink your beer from (as opposed to the normal thimble sized tumblers I'm used to), but I did think it smelled a bit damp inside.

Overall, defo worth a visit, especially if you like blues and rock.

I went to Chai Blues House for the first time on sunday. Boy was playing there with Chai and his band. I must say the music was excellent! I especially enjoyed Boy as he looked like he was having so much fun performing. I spoke to both Boy and Chai afterwards and they were both gentlemen.

It was very quiet, only a handful of customers outside of our party group. The drinks were quite expensive (Singha 100 Baht, Heinekin 120 Baht, small Belgium beers 140 Baht). The place itself is nice, they give you nice big glasses to drink your beer from (as opposed to the normal thimble sized tumblers I'm used to), but I did think it smelled a bit damp inside.

I heard about Live music at Riva bar. Anyone been there?

I heard about Live music at Riva bar. Anyone been there?

I've been there a few times. They have live acoustic music a few nights per week. I saw Boy perform there one time. But the place is very small. At most there are 2 or 3 musicians at a time. But its a nice place and the girls that work there are very nice and friendly. Also its a good place to go if you are in the mood for a mixed drink as they have a decent selection of different liquors. So many places around town can't make (or don't have all the ingredients) to make a good cocktail. And....Happy hour (drinks 50%) 19:30-20:30. :)

'Boy' plays at a few different places but I don't know of a schedule for his band specifically. I do know he plays at 10.30pm Tues and 9.00pm on Friday at guitarman. He also plays at The Brasserie, and I think The Garden on walking St on Sundays.

Search 'Boy Blues Band Chiang Mai' and 'Guitarman Chiang Mai' on Youtube to see him play if you haven't seen him. For those that don't know it - he is the nephew of Took at Brasserie.

I'm looking forward to Eddie Baytos on the 14th at Guitarman. He plays Zydeco style music, which I like but never thought I'd hear in Chiang Mai. A real good entertainer too. Guitarman has a page on Myspace and Chai Blues has his own web-site.

me 2 kevin,check Eddie Baytos out on youtube

boy blues band are supporting eddie baytos on the 14th http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8SF0tdUqwo can't believe he's coming back,he raised the roof last year. Eddie Baytos is a versatile dancer and musician who has worked with a varied and impressive roster of performers, most recently performing on Annie Lennox's new CD with Producer, Glen Ballard. Because of his unique choreographic abilities in teaching non-musicians to mimic the energy and movements of veteran players, Eddie has carved out a niche for himself in a desperately needed field. Directors and audiences alike have marveled at the skillful way in which Eddie has taught actors inexperienced in the handling of instruments to portray artists convincingly.

A gifted musician able to play a wide range of instruments including washboard and accordion, Eddie has staged video performances and live tours for a variety of artists including the Eurythmics, ZZ Top, Uma Thurman, Jenna Elfman, Jim Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, John Goodman, Maria Conchita Alonso, Annie Lennox, Weird Al Yankovic, and many others. His commercial credits include staging and music in national spots for Volkswagen, Coca-Cola, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, Coors, Budweiser, Chevy, Ford, and a number of industrials. Eddie has also contributed to the scores for film features such as Runaway Jury, Thirteen, and Rugrats, as well as composing the score for an independent documentary on the history of "B" movies entitled Mau Mau Sex Sex.

In Eddie's long and storied musical career he has performed both live and in the recording studio with such artists as Jerry Lee Lewis, George Jones, Bruce Springsteen, Cesar Rosas of Los Lobos, John Fogerty, R.L. Burnside, Muddy Waters, Big Joe Turner, Percy Mayfield, Lee Dorsey, Johnny Adams, Ernie K-Doe, and Zig and Leo of The Meters. Eddie has even tap-danced on record with the famed Fayard Nicholas of the Nicholas Brothers.

Edited by november222

.....A gifted musician able to play a wide range of instruments including washboard and accordion,

Is he as good as Liverpool's most famous musician?

Derek Guyler (AKA Corky the policeman)

Liverpool's famous washboard player. A living legend.

Has anyone seen the American guy (Greg) in town playing the Washtub Bass? He's got to be seen to be believed. He plays at Riva and Guitarman. He has a good story about explaining to Thai Customs why he was importing half a dozen iron washtubs.

Edited by KevinHunt

I haven't seen him but would sure like to.

KevinHunt, do you know when and where Greg the American will be performing next?

Thanks.

He's a regular at my place so I'll ask him tonight. A very interesting character (as you might expect).

Never seen him with a laptop yet!!!

KevinHunt, do you know when and where Greg the American will be performing next?

Thanks.

best thread on TV now!! thanks for all these entertainment tips. not to turn this into a burger rant but when you go to these places what food do you order? dining with music is good for the soul. please any tips now for the menu?

i read here on TV the burgers are great at guitarman and i have tried to make it there now it is a must go. any other recommendations for the other live music places?

Edited by gatorhead333

Thanks.

best thread on TV now!! thanks for all these entertainment tips. not to turn this into a burger rant but when you go to these places what food do you order? dining with music is good for the soul. please any tips now for the menu?

i read here on TV the burgers are great at guitarman and i have tried to make it there now it is a must go. any other recommendations for the other live music places?

I'll be there on Friday at about 9pm. I'll try to get Greg along. 'Corky' now lives in Brisbane so he may not be able to make it. Bring your own Washboard or Washtub but leave your washing at home, please.

Edited by KevinHunt

Thanks.

I'll be there on Friday at about 9pm. I'll try to get Greg along. 'Corky' now lives in Brisbane so he may not be able to make it. Bring your own Washboard or Washtub but leave your washing at home, please.

Great website....a real website at that!! not imaginary... very nice and exciting

may well change my life here in CM!! looking forward to intense music and burgers w/ beer. there is nothing finer than good music and good food to perhaps maybe upstage the Second Coming..

Edited by gatorhead333

Thanks.

Guitarman or The Riva??

Edited by elektrified

Thanks.

Guitarman or The Riva??

"craig" will be playing his tub with chiang mai legend "aussie john' at guitarman tonight and saturday evening also :)

.....A gifted musician able to play a wide range of instruments including washboard and accordion,

Is he as good as Liverpool's most famous musician?

Derek Guyler (AKA Corky the policeman)

Liverpool's famous washboard player. A living legend.

Has anyone seen the American guy (Greg) in town playing the Washtub Bass? He's got to be seen to be believed. He plays at Riva and Guitarman. He has a good story about explaining to Thai Customs why he was importing half a dozen iron washtubs.

hooray and helmets off to 'corky'

KevinHunt, do you know when and where Craig the American will be performing next?

Thanks.

Guitarman or The Riva??

Gutarman. 

I love both Guitarman and Chais Blues House. But my favorite is the little jazz club called 'The North Jazz CoOp' near the North Gate. If your tuk tuk does not know, tell him to go tanon sri poom/chang phuak, or 'The Sira Hotel'.

In this jazz club you find a very exceptional fusion of western/european and asian/thai musicians. One evening every week they have a jam session - that is great fun!

On sundays, 'The garden' is a must. It is in ratchadamnoen road, that is where the sunday night market is, right on the other side of the streat of the 'U Chiang Mai Hotel'. You can walk the sunday night market and than have some good old blues songs there, a guy calling himself Warren plays acoustic guitar, and the owner of the house (or so I think) plays the bass.

I will see you all guys there in september.

Pewe

Oh Mr Hunt, I do thank you for jiggling my memory buds- I used to enjoy Mr Guyler's eccentric but undoubted washboard talents at his/my local, The Lord Napier, a famous jazz pub in Thornton Heath, Surrey. Sadly, the last tine I went there, it had been closed down and of course, dear old Corky has departed too. Oh yussss. Hattie also but incredibly, Mr Sykes is still alive and nearly kicking.

I love both Guitarman and Chais Blues House. But my favorite is the little jazz club called 'The North Jazz CoOp' near the North Gate. If your tuk tuk does not know, tell him to go tanon sri poom/chang phuak, or 'The Sira Hotel'.

In this jazz club you find a very exceptional fusion of western/european and asian/thai musicians. One evening every week they have a jam session - that is great fun!

On sundays, 'The garden' is a must. It is in ratchadamnoen road, that is where the sunday night market is, right on the other side of the streat of the 'U Chiang Mai Hotel'. You can walk the sunday night market and than have some good old blues songs there, a guy calling himself Warren plays acoustic guitar, and the owner of the house (or so I think) plays the bass.

I will see you all guys there in september.

"A guy calling himself Warren" is in fact called......Warren, from Liverpool, and very good.

"A guy calling himself Warren" is in fact called......Warren, from Liverpool, and very good.

That's a bit confusing isn't it? Is it just a coincidence, or what?

Anyway, next time you see him tell him there is a job opportunity at Rose Guest House.

They're looking fo scousers, apparently.

Oh yes, this gentleman Warren is from Liverpool. Must be a good place for good music, almost as good as Chiang Mai. If I remember well, there were quite a few boys from Liverpool :-)

@KevinHunt: Why don't you just bring the good people from Rose Guest Hous over to 'the garden'? Wait a few weeks, and we will have a drink there together. Btw: It took me some time to find out what 'scousers' are. English is not my mother tongue. :-)