Dream Location?

nicholasmerwood

In search of a place which would be laid back like Koh Lanta, in Phuket; with access to things such as Tesco etc within about 20km. A place where I can build a villa in the next 5 years. A place that has seaviews, and suits listening to Bob Marley. Nai Yang - without the planes. Is there such a place in Phuket at all?

In search of a place which would be laid back like Koh Lanta, in Phuket; with access to things such as Tesco etc within about 20km. A place where I can build a villa in the next 5 years. A place that has seaviews, and suits listening to Bob Marley. Nai Yang - without the planes. Is there such a place in Phuket at all?

I think you may have to forget beach land

try going high.

There are many superb sites in the mountains, and land available for sale, with distant views and absolute peace.

Explore!

In Kamala up the back of the valley look at Soi Fantasea or turn left at the first 7/11 coming in from Surin, head wright up the back of the valley. They're building a Tesco in the next 18months as well, great beach, cheap food, happy hour cocktails and the locals are generally nice.

Try Cape Panwa, particularly in the area of Ao Yon. Quiet, easy access to Phuket Town, and what must be some of the best views on the island.

I agree. I stumbled onto this little gem of an area while looking for good kitesurfing spots. Go out past Novotel. Very quite, very nice. Not very good for kitesurfing though. :)

Also take a drive around the southern tip of the island, Rawai/Naiharn area. Some very nice areas there. And go to Yoonique Bar in Nai Harn and Small View Point Bar/Restauraunt up on the hill overlooking Kata Noi for your fill of Marley and Reggae cover bands.

Edited by Scubabuddha

Oh yipee!!

Thought I would get a list of replies saying along the lines of - "not in phuket, your dreaming, etc"

I've printed out these suggestions, and I look forward to checking them out next time I'm in phuket, cheers guys!

There has been a lot of negative positing here about Phuket, but many/most of these were realized to be guys that had vested interests in other areas outside Phuket like Hua Hin, and their gripes were largely only applicable to Patong, which I agree has become a cesspool of and agressive touts, 10x to many tuk-tuks, (and they just ordered a few hundered more, defying conventional logic but right in line with Thai logic) and shirtless inebriated farang punters, and other equally foul smells. Almost anywhere outside Patong in Phuket is nice. Kata, Karon, Kamala, Surin, Rawaii, Nai Harn, etc. etc.

Edited by Scubabuddha

Patong is patong, it serves a purpose and always will. I personally don't mind pissing it up hard there once and a while, I once stayed in the centre of Patong for a month straight, and by the end I never wanted to see it again. I think its alright to go in every now and then. but anyway, I can't wait to check out these places you guys have mentioned!

Edited by nicholasmerwood

Patong is patong, it serves a purpose and always will. I personally don't mind pissing it up hard there once and a while, I once stayed in the centre of Patong for a month straight, and by the end I never wanted to see it again. I think its alright to go in every now and then. but anyway, I can't wait to check out these places you guys have mentioned!

Yeah, I should have said that, it's good for what it's good for. Massages with happy ending and go-go's, discos. The movie theatre in Jungceylon is nice too.

Probably the most relevant point made so far, I havn't looked into it yet....to scared :)

I'd rather be ignorant and happy.

I propose to buy the land with cash. If anyone can help me further than this, your advice is definately welcome.

What is the go now anyway, with land and properties in Thailand? My wife is Thai, we live in Australia, she makes her own money has her own job, actually we have one shared account where both our pays go into.

Can't we buy it with this money?

As long as she can prove it's her money then your Thai wife can buy land in Thailand, but you will have no claim to this land or any building on then land .... at all. Indeed you will have to sign a paper stating that it's her money and you will make no claim on the land. Unless you make a 30 year lease from your wife. Tricky subject, needs a lot of study.

Probably the most relevant point made so far, I havn't looked into it yet....to scared :)

I'd rather be ignorant and happy.

I propose to buy the land with cash. If anyone can help me further than this, your advice is definately welcome.

What is the go now anyway, with land and properties in Thailand? My wife is Thai, we live in Australia, she makes her own money has her own job, actually we have one shared account where both our pays go into.

Paying for the land is not the issue, it is the setting up of the legalities that you need to be very careful about unless you do not mind having it in your wife's name giving you no legal claim in future. You might be quite happy to do that. I am in that situation & was well aware of the pitfalls when we built our home 11 years ago but still went ahead & have no issue about this as it will go to our kids at the end of the day.

Quiet spots can be found even in what appears to be well built up areas. The key is having a well built home in a secure environment.

Well put. I will be in Phuket poking around for a place to stay next week. Thanks for the info!