New To Me O (marriage) Extension Documentation

Maybe this has been the case for some time now, but on my recent (4th) O extension at Suan Plu (Thai Wife), our Ministry of Foreign Affairs certified foreign marriage certificate was no longer acceptable on its own. We were married in the US. Wife was told to go register at the Ampur that she was now married and return with the documentation.

Also, although I had a letter from the bank obtained the day of my extension application stating my bank balance, which was consistent with the most recent entry in the bank book of a week prior, I was told to return to the bank and make another deposit merely to have a more recent entry in the bank book.

Had dealt with the same officer before, and she said that these are now new procedures. She processed everything else and gave me the pending stamp and told us to just bring the marriage registration certificate and copy of the updated bank book to her within the next week.

All taken care of now, just another wasted day. Oh, and no word from her on the move.

I heard of another case where immigration also wanted the mariage be registered at the amphur, believe that was also in BKK. It makes sense, as with the registration you notify the Thai government that their citizen was married abroad.

Marlo: No problem about making sense indeed, just no notice that it had changed.

Also, regarding the 60 v. 90 day proving time for 400K in the bank: In addition to your documentation that it's been there for 90 days I also had to sign a piece of paper stating that it had been there for 90 days. So don't know if the 60 days will be accepted any more. Given the back and forth on this I had been reading here, I made sure I made the 90-day cut-off, albeit just barley.

I believe that is for the second paper they now require for marriage rather than because it is foreign. They not only require the certificate but also ledger entry page that it is recorded on as a double check that it is not a photoshop document. The bank should have recorded your current account balance when they made the letter (computer will print it for teller even without deposit).

The bank should have recorded your current account balance when they made the letter (computer will print it for teller even without deposit).

Sorry lopburi, but the TFB (KBank) only prints transactions in the bank book. No transaction -> no printout.

This is what the letter is for but Imm has obviously problems understanding the banking system.

opalhort

I am sure they can call up an account balance entry/print at the teller computer the same as Bangkok Bank does. If you use the self service update machines you do need a transaction.

Yes in theory they can but their computers do not print in the book. The best they can do is print the current balance on a slip of paper which shows the date of printing with the current balance (on my insistence they even stamped and signed this little print-out).

I've been using this slip of paper for the past few years an Imm accepted it but I have to point out that my account is a fixed deposit which may have different rules from the regular savings account.

opalhort