Michael Griffin Harrie: Missing American in Thailand

george

Missing American could be in Phuket

phuket-American-university-student-Michael-Griffin-Harrie-was-last-seen-in-Bangkok-1-MWxdxHo.jpg

American university student Michael Griffin Harrie

was last seen in Bangkok.

PHUKET: -- Police throughout the country have been asked to help find a 29-year-old American university student who is missing in Thailand.

The student, Michael Griffin Harrie, 29, a second year veterinary medicine student who was studying for a month at Iwate University in Morioka, Japan, was last seen on July 14 while on a sightseeing trip in Thailand.

He traveled to Bangkok on July 7 and planned to join his parents in Tokyo on July 16 for a family vacation, but he never arrived, and was officially reported missing.

Security cameras at Bangkok’s Suvarabhumi airport show Harrie by himself and heading toward the airport's exit.

Mike Clardy, the director of communications at Auburn University said authorities did not suspect foul play and were treating Harrie's disappearance as a normal missing person case.

The missing man's father, Paul Harrie, said his son had been studying pathobiology in Japan on a study-abroad scheme in preparation for his next year of veterinary school at his hometown university.

He said the US embassy in Bangkok had asked police throughout the Kingdom to keep an eye out for the missing man.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-07-29

:)

1. did the policy about reporting missing persons on Thaivisa change ? if so, why ?

2. why are there 2 threads about this missing person; is he a VIP ?

I recall that in the past quite a few threads were closed about missing persons, even if the family/parents were very frightened because in some cases personal belongings were found in a hotel/guesthouse/bungalow and the person involved was missing for quite some time, and never heard of again.

That's why I ask.

LaoPo

I'm wondering why the title say Phuket when the Phuket Gazette text doesn't talk about the missing guy could be in Phuket.

And I personally joint the blue lion asking why different treatment on missing persons.

Maybe if George can explain why the TV policy about missing is now so elastic. Not a complain, just to know. Happy TV can be socially useful too.

1. did the policy about reporting missing persons on Thaivisa change ? if so, why ?

Might want to refresh yourself on the forum rules.

27) Not to post missing person posts except with the explicit approval of admin (email support[at]ThaiVisa.com).

They went through proper procedure and George has approved it.

Also, this is now in the public media and is a formal News Clipping item.

ALL missing persons posts are at the discretion of the admin of thaivisa. If you have a missing person that you want to post about & don't ask admin then the thread will be closed & you will be told to contact admin for permission.

Generally they will only allow verifiable missing persons cases where the police/embassy etc has been contacted first.

This has always been the policy of thaivisa. Nothing has changed. This persons family has contacted admin & they have provided sufficient proof that this is a genuine missing person case.

off topic posts deleted, explaination by 2 moderators have been given on Thaivisa policy. If you require further clarification then contact admin as they are the ones who give approval for missing persons cases.

I wonder what made him walk out of the airport? Hope he didn't fall in love with some girl and want to throw his life away for her...Maybe he just wanted to stay in Thailand longer and didn't want anyone to know where he is. It's possible.

I wonder what made him walk out of the airport? Hope he didn't fall in love with some girl and want to throw his life away for her...Maybe he just wanted to stay in Thailand longer and didn't want anyone to know where he is. It's possible.

Considering all the fuzz about the security cameras on the airport (Kingpower...) I'm amazed they are so sure it was Michael Harrie they detected on the images.

But maybe the family was shown the images and confirmed it was him ? :)

LaoPo

If the last place he was seen was at the airport then a register of all outbound taxis will be held by the taxi desk or management because they give each driver a form for the airport charge 50 baht.

Unless he has used a tout and unlicensed sevice then that would make it harder, camera shots close to the airports and tollways of number plates of all outbound cars within the 30 mins of him leaving would also help.

This important information was not included in the original request;

Michael Harrie is from the San Francisco, California, area. He has blue eyes and brown hair, wears eye-glasses and is 5 feet 11 inches tall and weighs 175 pounds. He was taking a study segment on pathobiology while in the Japan.

Also released by the family was another photograph, this time without eyeglasses. (image deleted -poor uploading)

This missing person report has received extensive distribution and has made every major US news feed including CNN, FOX, MSNBC and the wire services. It has featured in major english language news sources in Asia and his name is on the "hot" list at all US gov't service desks in SE Asia. For Auburn University to dispatch staff to assist the family, an embassy staffer to be specifically tasked to this file and the overall effort suggests something to me. Not the best publicity for Thailand, so the pressure has been applied to get this resolved fast.

Edited by geriatrickid

If the last place he was seen was at the airport then a register of all outbound taxis will be held by the taxi desk or management because they give each driver a form for the airport charge 50 baht.

Unless he has used a tout and unlicensed sevice then that would make it harder, camera shots close to the airports and tollways of number plates of all outbound cars within the 30 mins of him leaving would also help.

Or he has used a regular taxi who had just disembarking passengers at the arrival level, like I am doing every time.

We here in Thailand should Be On the LookOut for Michael Harrie and try to do something positive, which is in our power to do. The guessing game can be done with other issues of the day. The family has access to this site and does not necessarily need to be reminded of the various and gruesome fates of past victims, IMHO.

Edited by grantbkk

The family has access to this site and does not necessarily need to be reminded of the various and gruesome fates of past victims, IMHO.

Agreed. Post deleted for inappropriate speculation. Suggestions in helping find him are welcome but speculation on what may have happened is not.

Well hate to speculate, perhaps we are missing smth....sometimes people want to disappear and all is not as rosey in their life as our our family members may think.

Puzzling thing he was booked on a flight that day to return to Japan and then he walks out of the airport? Sounds like he changed his mind about leaving... hopefully its a whirlwind romance scenario.

I hope what I said that was deleted is correct.

It would be best for him at this point.

I'm sure the guy is fine!

Edited by Burr

I hope what I said that was deleted is correct.

It would be best for him at this point.

I'm sure the guy is fine!

I sure hope so too.

But let's not forget that the family is looking for information and might read this. So not all comments are suitable.

The family has access to this site and does not necessarily need to be reminded of the various and gruesome fates of past victims, IMHO.

Agreed. Post deleted for inappropriate speculation. Suggestions in helping find him are welcome but speculation on what may have happened is not.

On more optimistic part of my life experience - they involved me into looking for young gentleman,who made vanishing act-half a year it was.

He simply did not feel like keeping in touch with friends and family - probably he was fed up with life.

This is more likely,then any possible tragedy.

But - if he lost his mind and he is wondering around - we may help,knowing his face?TV space is free for our delibirations - it should be open for such cause.

I do not think it was ever denied.

Search for US student missing in Bangkok

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Bangkok police are investigating the mysterious disappearance of Michael Griffin Harrie, a 29-year-old Alabama veterinary student, who failed to return to Japan on July 14 .

A media release issued by Alabama's Auburn University said Harrie, a second-year student at the veterinary school, was attending a summer study abroad program in Morioka and had informed one of his professors he was taking a one-week vacation to Bangkok with friends.

According to Harrie’s father, Paul, "he said he would be back on the 14th” and was due to meet this parents in Tokyo on July 16.

A private investigator hired by Harrie’s father said surveillance video from Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport showed Harrie entering the airport on July 14, but then exiting the terminal before checking in for his flight.

Bank transactions show Harrie stopped withdrawing funds from ATMs on July 13.

Paul Harrie said his son was an avid traveler but, "the idea of picking up and not telling anyone is very unlike him. If anybody sees him, please ask him to contact us," he said. "We love him, and we are worried sick about him."

Michael Harrie is from the San Francisco, California, area. He has blue eyes and brown hair, wears eye-glasses and is 5 feet 11 inches (about 1.56cm) tall and weighs 175 pounds (about 80kg).

Auburn University has dispatched two representatives to Japan and its Department of Public Safety and Security is asking for anyone with any information on his whereabouts to call it at 334-844-8888.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2009-07-30

question; did michael travel to thailand with a group or a friend? did he have sufficent monetary funds or a credit card

to use? did he contact family upon arrival or before departing thailand? had he been to thailand before?

if he had a credit card, the cc company would show the location of the atm he used.

most people who use a cc usualy use one close to where they were staying.

i have looked at a few thai newspapers,and not seen his picture posted.

did michael check in at the airport?

thanks,mr smith