Bing Search Engine

phetaroi

I've never been very faithful to search engines. I recently read a glowing review (actually two) about Bing, so I rushed to try it. Didn't like it all all. Images were so much smaller than with Google, and the web search seemed rather elementary. Am I missing something?

I was rather impressed with Bing. It's not at google's level yet, but I've been dying to see Google taken down a bit as I don't like anyone having a near monopoly on what information the world sees.

What could be ominous for Bing is MS's new partnership with Yahoo. Yahoo is famous for taking great things and destroying them (Altavista, etc).

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/07...artnership.html

The things that irritate me about Google's recent (last 6 months?) results pages are all the trash near the top of the page. I just did a search on 'Thailand' and saw:

• Wikipedia in first position. I hate Wikipedia.
  • Links to News Results - If I want to search news, I search news on the news page
  • Images - same as above

All that pushes the more generic results down and to subsequent pages.

I really believe that the more they tinker with their search results, the greater market share that Bing will gain.

Just looked at thaivisa webstats, it says a lot of search engine popularity
1. google. 97.00%

2. yahoo. 1.45%

3. bing.com 0.90%

4. aol.com 0.28%

5. ask.com 0.25%

With the search engine market share at:

1.www.google.com 72.07%

2.search.yahoo.com 17.00%

3.www.bing.com 7.31%

4.www.ask.com 2.58%

5.www.aolsearch.com 0.24%

Source: Hitwise

It might mean you are depending too much on Google and possibly missing out on substantial traffic from the other 25%+ of the market.

Edited by cdnvic

Says it all really

Not necessarily. Google tends to give more weight to mature sites, and tends to favor large sites.

One of my very modest sites looks considerably different.

- Google 1412

- Yahoo! 715

- Google (Images) 117

- Windows Live 29

- Bing 168

- Bing.com (images) 89

1. google. 97.00%

2. yahoo. 1.45%

3. bing.com 0.90%

4. aol.com 0.28%

5. ask.com 0.25%

Does your site search use a Google app? And if so, does your server log every site search as Google. If so, that makes your stats lopsided.

Yup, and IMHO the image search ain't that bad.

Bing by no means can compete with Google search!

Google is million miles ahead ----------------------------------------> :)

Depends on one's perspective. Google isn't all that. You've been conditioned in such a matter. Google, as are all mainstream and establishment.conventional search engines are truely sucky-sucky. Fortunately, for those whom wish to find items that aren't culturally-centric based and commercially mainstream - there are tonnes of alternative and specific search ware available. Bing perfectly reflects the Microsoft theme - controlling, useless, and hypnotic.

1. google. 97.00%

2. yahoo. 1.45%

3. bing.com 0.90%

4. aol.com 0.28%

5. ask.com 0.25%

Just because of their 'popularity' doesn't guarantee quality searches.....it's all people know.

Yup, and IMHO the image search ain't that bad.

Bing by no means can compete with Google search!

Google is million miles ahead ----------------------------------------> :)

Depends on one's perspective. Google isn't all that. You've been conditioned in such a matter. Google, as are all mainstream and establishment.conventional search engines are truely sucky-sucky. Fortunately, for those whom wish to find items that aren't culturally-centric based and commercially mainstream - there are tonnes of alternative and specific search ware available. Bing perfectly reflects the Microsoft theme - controlling, useless, and hypnotic.

I am using a lot of other search engines as well not only Google.

Search engines are far away from being perfect. How can they? Scanning, crawling and storing information from bazillions of web sites 24/7?

Google is the one for "daily use" and for my business its doing a fine job. If you say "conditioned in such a matter" that applies to OS' as well... :D

Edited by webfact

Google is usually pretty good, and sometimes amazingly good.

Even though Bing is owned by MS, I am also happy that there's some competition. Maybe they can team up with Yahoo and improve it more and make it a real competitor - the chance is there. Didn't like Bing too much but - Google needs competition rather badly, from a user's perspective.

Every once in a blue moon, a completely new search engine comes along. I then try them, find them worse than Google, and move on. That was the case with the startup whose name I forgot (some ex-Googlers founded it): It was interesting but had way too few sites indexed so it was rather useless. Then came Wolfram Alpha, tried once. Then Bing, tried a few times, I find that even though it has a minimalist interface, they still managed to put some of Microsoft annoyance in it.

Example, I did a search, then decided that I actually wanted to search for images. In Google, thats one click. In Bing, you have to go back to the home page, select images, and re-enter the search term. Bing gets a lot of praise for its image search but I still find Google better.

Websites are a bit like restaurants - I go there once, and if it's bad, I never come again. There are no second chances.

Bing at least was good enough that I came back a couple of times, unlike Alpha (couldn't make sense of it - what is it??) or that forgotten startup.

All in all I think Google is just doing an amazing job. That, plus the momentum, and the built-up infrastructure makes them so powerful. In order to take on Google, you'd have to be much better than Google, and that turns out to be very hard.