Travel Back To Eu With 6 Months Old Baby - Advises

Geppis72

Hi all,

it will be the first time we travel back to Eu with our 6 months and 20 days baby, so a complete new experience for us,

I book and paid everything as request from Thai Airways, our 2 tickets and our Infant Ticket,

during the booking process I request them several times to pay attentions to the seats, because we travel

with an infant and we would need front seats where we could hang the "basinet" as I think they call it.

NO WAY !

Many messages back and forward, thats the first one :

Regarding to your requested for the Basinet for your baby, as I called to checked with them regarding to this requested. The Airline Staff said that normally, basinet is available for 6 months baby only. They're referred to Standard policy regarding to security purpose for Baby. Really sorry for this matter, I tried to requested with the Airline but they are not accepted and allowed me to requested a baby cot .

After :

As I tried to contact both of Airline reservation and Sales for this issue all of them said that they can't provide a bassinet for your baby due to IATA policy as I have informed to you since the earlier. The Airline suggested me informed you that you may need purchased a seat for your baby ,then put a baby cot on the seat. For this matter you may need to bring a cot by yourself. I try my best to negotiated and requested them many times, finally,they did not accept for my requested. Really sorry for your all inconvenience caused.

So my questions is : what we should expect, what's our right ? what your experiences ?

Thanks

When I was still travelling with TG, I traveled a few time with the baby and had no problem.

Thai Airways carries baby bassinets for infants weighing not more than 10 kgs up until six month old. The bassinets should be booked in advance through the reservations department. For the parent’s convenience and the baby’s comfort, fold-down nappy changing shelves are available in the toilets.

Thai Airways serves special child and infant meals, which need to be requested 72 hours prior to departure. Regrettably, we are unable to accept requests for specific brands of baby meals or powdered milk.

Infant / Bassinet

It seems as if you are dealing with an agent ... who is looking at an extra ticket sale, by adhering to strict rules.

If you have not done so, call TG directly, unless your kid is really over 10kgs.

Somehow the Agent tried to help, usually I book directly with TG on internet but this time we saved more then 25.000 Thb

with agent special offer, so we take it.

My baby weight 6 Kg so I do not think possible she going to be more then 10 kg when we fly middle of Sept,

and she will be 6 month and 20 days old.

So far, thanks to Singa-traz for the helpful reply.

Edited by Geppis72

Definitely, call the airline directly.

Even if they say the baby can't have a bassinet, maybe you can still reserve the bulkhead seats which is where the bassinet would be placed. It will give you more legroom (though usually arm rests don't go up), and maybe once on board the airline staff might be more sympathetic and give you a bassinet anyway.

Actually, I would have thought being 6 months 20 days, your baby would still be within the limits of their rules?

If they get very strict about it, I'd consider changing airlines.

Sorry, just to add. If they won't give you a bassinet, then the baby is on your lap. You don't need to bring a cot (I think they actually mean a car seat which is approved by the airline to fit onto the seat) in addition and buy an extra seat. I guess it depends on the comfort level you want.

Also if you are lucky, maybe the flight is not full when you check in and the staff will sympathise with your situation and give you a spare seat anyhow to make things easier.

So you are one of the ignorant people who take young children on flights.

Your baby crying and keeping everyone awake.

You should be put in the hold.

Children should be banned from planes until the age of 12.

I wonder who is the ignorant ?

YOU should be banned from ThaiVisa Forum !

I'm living in Thailand, so under your opinion I should wait 12 years to bring my baby to meet her family back in Europe ?

Or wait 12 years before I can move from Thailand for a trip ?

You know, I get annoyed as well when traveling on board of a plane where there is a baby.

That's why I fly biz class, now with a complete family is getting a bit too expensive for all of us,

but assuming you are alone, because no one could stay with somebody who think like you, simply buy a biz class ticket

when you fly, but probably you are also living in a hole somewhere in the middle of LOL and get upset because you are a

poor person in every meaning.

By the way thanks for your constructive post.

Edited by Geppis72

You've been a member here for 6 and a half years and posted 40 times...and this is the kind of thing you post?

Do everybody a favor and go back to lurking.

will be sure to sit right next to you with my two little ones next time you fly. One of the great things about being a parent is you don't hear your own kids most of the time.

Please ignore that poster. Clearly a sleeper troll. I have asked admin to check them out.

OP contact TG direct as they can provide the bassinette up to 10kg. If there really is no chance then request the bulk head seats then when the flight has taken off make baby a bed on the floor in front of your seats. We did this for our son when he was 10 months & he slept great.

hey mr kabab,,are you for real..???? maybe u should book business class then? or go sit in the luggage dept below deck...you wouldnt be missed !

Edited by dmax

I wonder who is the ignorant ?

YOU should be banned from ThaiVisa Forum !

I'm living in Thailand, so under your opinion I should wait 12 years to bring my baby to meet her family back in Europe ?

Or wait 12 years before I can move from Thailand for a trip ?

You know, I get annoyed as well when traveling on board of a plane where there is a baby.

That's why I fly biz class, now with a complete family is getting a bit too expensive for all of us,

but assuming you are alone, because no one could stay with somebody who think like you, simply buy a biz class ticket

when you fly, but probably you are also living in a hole somewhere in the middle of LOL and get upset because you are a

poor person in every meaning.

By the way thanks for your constructive post.

i am also flying out with our 6 mth old baby,,wife wants the family to see her so we have no other way round it unfortunately,,,god help the first guy opens his gob if my babies crying ,,thats all i can say

Never hear such crazy talk, how old are you anyway 90?

Edited by gerard50

"Children should be banned from planes until the age of 12"

oh, i loooove to book the seat behind/next to you next time i fly - well, i´m over 12 already *g* but am good in kicking seats and spilling drinks ;O)

op, on the plane nobody worries if your baby is 6 months and 20 days or not - book the front row directly with tg and as long as she is not over 10 kilos, mai mii panhaa! you´ll get the baby cot without any problems. good flight :)

More likely you're the ignorant <deleted>.

To the OP. Don't worry, the airline will already know you're on your way with an infant and have the bulkhead seats reserved for you and a bassinet on board.

The stewardesses are also very helpful at providing hot water for feeds but be sure to check the temperature yourself.

Just tell them your baby is "9.5" kilos,nobody is going to check the weight !

Then go on internet,and order a ticket on e-bookers !

The best prices !They give you a 7 days quote,choose the cheapest flight (can be any company:exmp :

Bangkok-frankfurt- brussels with Lufthansa: 400 eu for an adult+50eu for an infant under 2 year !

You have to take the baby on your lap,but there is a big chanse there are empty seats in the low period (mei,june -sept okt)

I had payed for 2 seats and got a row of 4 seats on alle the flights .

Have a nice flight ! :)

Since the OP has already purchased the ticket via and agent, he can't reasonably expect TG to automatically pre-assign the bulkhead seats where the bassinet can be used. To be honest, I don't think ANY airline does this unless you book direct with them via their local office or if their online booking system has seat selection enabled. For example, booking on TG website does not allow seat selection whereas booking on UA website does and seat allocation on KL is available only 24-hours before departure. There is no standard that applies here.

Your baby is 6 months old. The +20 days aint an issue. If your baby was 7 months old then it would be.

In most instances, the first opportunity to get these seats is at check-in so BE EARLY! However, you may get a lazy check-in clerk who will just fob you off and leave it to the cabin crew to do that frantic passenger shuffle before they close the doors and push-back that I have witnessed so many times. Do yourself a favour and browse www.seatguru.com and select the carrier and airplane type and see how many bulkheads there are and make a note of the seat rows. It may help your lazier check-in staff accommodate your request.

Air travel customer service is a lottery, especially if you are traveling Coach.

Good luck and I hope your little one snoozes peacefully through the whole shambles and the hyperactive one with gas is right beside 'you know who.'

We have just flown UK return on Thai, baby about 1 year old. Even if you have a bassinet, it isn't used during take-off landing, you just hold your baby (up to 2 years old) unless you buy a seat and take a suitable car type seat to use.

On outward flight we had 2 bulkhead seats, we sat in the forward bulkheads, next to galley, which was slightly disturbing from noise/light, but doesn't have the huge movie screen in front of you, this isn't such a problem on night flight as they only show one movie. On return the Thai aircrew asked passenger to move, so that we had spare seat between us. Bassinet might be more restricted by length than weight, we just hold our little one. Just request the bulkhead seats now, maybe go into a Thai office and request them, although we did this and still had them mess up initially on Heathrow check-in, had us spread around the aircraft, took a word with Thai customer service to sort out (very helpful). Worth getting to airport early and being one of first to check-in, in case the seats are allocated to others, so that means at least 3 hours before flight, you could try using the Royal Orchid priority check-in and say you have baby so didn't want to queue too long :-) The Thai are fairly sympathetic to babies.

We have just flown UK return on Thai, baby about 1 year old. Even if you have a bassinet, it isn't used during take-off landing, you just hold your baby (up to 2 years old) unless you buy a seat and take a suitable car type seat to use.

On outward flight we had 2 bulkhead seats, we sat in the forward bulkheads, next to galley, which was slightly disturbing from noise/light, but doesn't have the huge movie screen in front of you, this isn't such a problem on night flight as they only show one movie. On return the Thai aircrew asked passenger to move, so that we had spare seat between us. Bassinet might be more restricted by length than weight, we just hold our little one. Just request the bulkhead seats now, maybe go into a Thai office and request them, although we did this and still had them mess up initially on Heathrow check-in, had us spread around the aircraft, took a word with Thai customer service to sort out (very helpful). Worth getting to airport early and being one of first to check-in, in case the seats are allocated to others, so that means at least 3 hours before flight, you could try using the Royal Orchid priority check-in and say you have baby so didn't want to queue too long :-) The Thai are fairly sympathetic to babies.

^^^ What he said ^^^

I think your agent is either trying to get an extra ticket sale, or not actually trying to negotiate anything for you...

I believe that bassinets are for babies up to 2 years... I know I was asked to move on an emirates flight to allow for a 'baby' that was bigger than my 3 year old (I believe that the 'baby' was traveling on a false document so they didn't have to pay for a ticket)...

You have to carry the baby in your lap at all times the fasten seatbelt sign is on...

I would go to a TG office and try to reserve to baulkhead seat now, otherwise just turn up to check in early and hope for the best...

Cheers,

Daewoo

<deleted>%$^ng Di$%#^head I cant think of anything else to say about such a narrow minded comment :)

• 2 weeks later...

<deleted>%$^ng Di$%#^head I cant think of anything else to say about such a narrow minded comment :)

That's what those headphones they give you are for.... :D

Me, wife and 4 month old son at time flew back to uk with singapore airlines, chiang mai - singapore then direct to london, on way back we were delayed a bit and missed the connecting flight but they put us up free in airport hotel over night, airport is so much better than savanabumiss: fee internet, playstaions, sports on tvs, good sellection of restaurants and endless shopping, very easy going and not hectic at all; thai should have just copied their airport be a million percent better. anyway baskinet was provided (although son didn't wouldn't stay in it) (its a right hassle actually and say it just gets in the way; also they want you to take em out of it every time theres a hint of turbulance) and offered it on way back when hhe was 10 months. Famillys always put in the front area even on air asia, plus jump the que. Think it was about 200 pound for the infant ticket round trip, which i think is a bit of a rip off when nothing extra really provided, going to get him his own seat next time.

take the later flights so they sleep most of the way.