Affirmation Of Freedom To Marry

HowardJohnson

After nearly 3 years I'm considering doing the "honourable thing" and getting married.

I am divorced but my decree absolute is in the UK.

Do the British Embassy actually check their records to see if you have been married before issuing the signed affirmation?

Or is it just a case of signing the paper to go along with the Thai regulations.

If I can get away with declaring that I have never been married, it would save me the hassle of getting the decree sent over here.

Thanks

HoJo

After nearly 3 years I'm considering doing the "honourable thing" and getting married.

Do the British Embassy actually check their records to see if you have been married before issuing the signed affirmation?

Or is it just a case of signing the paper to go along with the Thai regulations.

If I can get away with declaring that I have never been married, it would save me the hassle of getting the decree sent over here.

Thanks

HoJo

Can't speak for the Brit embassy but mine one only made me sign a document stating (in my case) that I wasn't married.

I suppose you could get away with it (what you suggest above) but unless you have a particular need or are in a super rush, why not do it up properly. Who knows what if any long term complications though of this action.

Thanks

HoJo

I reckon you're complying with the spirit of the law, so I would say go for it. I would.....but I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know.

(but I suspect that some parts of Thai beauracracy is very blinkered and would not consider the spirit of the law, only the lertter of it....consider that too.)

Consider the downside if they run a quick check - which I would imagine is very easy to do......

You are marked as a liar for any other dealings with the Embassy.....visa for the UK at a later date perhaps.....

My advice get the paperwork sent over and do it all properly.....short cuts in this type of situation can easily bite you in the ar5e later.

Sounds that for you guys it's pretty easy to get the affirmation of freedom to marry from your embassy.

The Belgian one requires your birth certificate (which you or a family member can only get in Belgium) this needs to be legalized by the Min of foreign affairs in Brussels and the Thai embassy in Brussels.

Once I get that birth cert. I can go to the Belgian embassy and apply for the affirmation of freedom to marry.

Just put the wheels in motiom myself to go through this bureaucratic mill.

Just get the cert, man.

Its not that much of a hassle and you avoid any possible probs later.

In fact, if you don't have it, you cannot get the marriage registered.

As a Norwegian, I had to get it from Norway. Couple of forms to fill in from the embassy in BKK and send it to the right place. Got it 2 weeks later in the mail.

Must be translated to Thai and stamped.

Why would want to avoid doing this? Are you that lazy?

You said you wanted to do the honourable thing. Well, man up.

In fact, if you don't have it, you cannot get the marriage registered.

Ah, I didn't realize that.

Thanks for the advice. I will surely now "man up" and stroll in a manly swagger down to the DHL office and arrange for the decree to be sent post haste.

Not lazy - just wanted to save some butch time...

When I got married I just signed a paper at the British Embassy that I was free to do so which was ready the next day. I did not have to produce any documentary evidence.

In my case I had been married before and should have produced the divorce papers but that was a long time ago and would have involved a lot of hassle so I just said I had never been married before.

There was no subterfuge involved as I WAS free to marry, same as the OP, just could not produce the papers. I don't see how they can run a check in the time as I collected the affirmation the following day, and yes I know they all have computers now but I'm sure the Embassy have more urgent things to check up on.

:)

Thanks for all the advice guys and gals.

I have run into a slight problem as it looks as though my Decree Absolute has gone missing!

I have spoken to the court and they can issue a copy that is stamped with the official court seal.

Does anybody have any experience with submitting a stamped copy to the embassy and was it acceptable?

Just a bit worried, as the website clearly states it must be the original.

Thanks

HoJo

Bit like trying to get an 'original' UK birth certificate if you were born in the UK before computers. Since most government agencies will accept a 'certified copy' of a legacy birth certificate, I would assume that they would accept the 'certified copy' of your court decree with the caveat that it may need some extra words of persuasion, a covering letter of authenticity from the Brit Emb BKK, 500 baht under the table (or all of the aforementioned) to get an endorsement from the Thai MFA. It depends on the desk jockey you will be dealing with on the day but I think as a Brit supplying a Brit document to the Brit Emb, it will be accepted.

If a divorce was similarly eons ago, I reckon one could get by with saying that your were never married as any searches would only be done on whatever is available in on-line databases. Think of it; they stamp the 'freedom to marry' letter in 24-hours and in that time they check up using what? Online databases. The UK is 'closed for the night' and I am sure they don't have lowly clerks flipping through tomes of old registration documents just to find out if Mr Bill Wright getting married in Bangkok is still married to Mrs Bill Wright in Huddersfield.

Regards your original question 'do they check?' - In my personal experience, if it's not on electronic archive, they do not (read cannot).

As already mentioned "How can they check overnight" and why should or would they? If they check what is the point in asking you? This is not some honesty test.

If you are not free to marry for some reason then that would be bigamy or something but if you are free to marry just tell them you have never been married before and save yourself some time wasting.

Just as an aside unless there are kids involved why get married here at all? There is no benefit to the Farang and saves a lot of additional grief if it all goes wrong.

:)

They will want to see the original Decree Absolute, i had missed placed mine like yourself. Got a copy from the registry office in the UK where i lived. The Embassy excepted it. Like others say it is not worth the hassel if they check up and find out your lying.

Best of luck

^^ I reckon I was in the same boat as Daffy with 'long ago' divorce and no possible way of getting any certified copy (I did try) so like Daffy, I stated that I was free to marry.

If anyone has a much more recent divorce, I reckon there's a chance they can and will check. If things go pear-shaped and you are caught in a lie at a later date, the fact that you have signed the affidavit will bind you to that lie. Not an issue if you take bigamy lightly but keep in mind most countries don't!

To sum up, if you can obtain a certified copy of a divorce decree fairly easily, better do it and rest easy. In my case, my new wife was totally satisfied that I did not have a 'pre-existing marital condition' apart from the not unusual penchant for a younger model. When that comes up in conversation, I know to make up the sofa bed!

I used the letter from my German solicitor, as got divorced in Germany, the British Embassy informed me upon collecting the affirmation of Marriage, that they were not completely sure I was divorced. The letter was of course in German, and I don't think they got it translated or anything.

I would say that they do not actually check anything, but it is best to the safe than sorry.

I too was in a similar situation, so I did a search of Decree Absolute on the internet, this brought up several companies that would provide a certified copy of the Decree absolute and send it on to you in Thailand. Just have credit card ready and be prepared to wait a couple of weeks, while it gets sent over.

When I went to the Embassy in BKK they asked for it. I also had my birth cert. and passport as well,(though Birth cert. not required).

I hope this helps.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

We were married outside the UK, we never lived in the UK, though she did have visas to visit there, and she died outside the UK. marriage was never registered at the uk embassy. Now 6 years later....

I dont have to hand the documents (that would also need translating) to show that. So, if i go up and say i am single, would they check the visas database against my passports (old + new) before issuing me with an affirmation of freedom to marry ?

When I was divorced I never actually received the decree absolute so I went to the county court where the divorce was granted and they gave me a letter confirming the date I was divorced and this was acceptable to get the affirmation of freedom to marry from the British Embassy.

in my case i already live in thailand, and it wouldnt be a UK death certificate, and she wasnt British, we never had a uk marriage certificate, i havnt lived/worked there for 15 years, i dont fill in UK tax returns (so never claimed married mans allowance) etc.

Going back to Europe to sort out some paperwork to come back here to get the freedom to marry seems a bit much. I just wonder which databases they look at to check. The only database i could be on would be the visa for my wife (as she was), and some of those would have been on my old uk passport, not the new one.

They will want to see the original Decree Absolute, i had missed placed mine like yourself. Got a copy from the registry office in the UK where i lived. The Embassy excepted it. Like others say it is not worth the hassel if they check up and find out your lying.

Best of luck

Correct, and to add:

You have to swear an affidavit, a formal sworn statement under British law and produce all relavant documents, than have these certified at the Thai foreign affairs office.

So if one gives misinformation, on your head be it, because than this would be contravening Thai and United Kingdom laws.