Vegeterian Stores And Restaurants In Cnx?

westbounder

Hi,

I was wondering if there were any vegeterian stores and restaurants in Chiang Mai.

If so, what are their names and where are they located.

Thanks a million

Sorry to be predictable--but, if you use the search function you should find plenty of previous threads all about this topic--this is probably why people are reluctant to reply, again. Unlike the ever-popular 'burger' thread which, even after zillions of posts, still whips 'em up.

Hi,

I was wondering if there were any vegeterian stores and restaurants in Chiang Mai.

Thanks a million

I'll help you mate..on the road from Airport Central Plaza to Maharaj Hospital (forgotten the road that runs beside the 'klong')..just past the 1st pedestrian overpass on the left is a old and large restaurant with attached store with all types of goods.

The Vegetarian Council - a great place - but make sure that you are not wearing a red shirt. :)

Is it still open? A friend of mine who just loves the affordability there, told me it had closed and months ago I went past and it was shut, I don't know if they we're on extended vegetarian holiday/festival of some type

Regards Bojo

I think it's called 'Thai Orchid', a small restaurant, but very popular with locals. There's also a vegetarian supermarket just 2 doors along which has delicious fresh baked bread in the morning.

Directions..from the President hotel heading towards the river, it's about 200 metres or so on the right hand side on a corner of a small side street (4 shops deep). It's covered by bushes and trees but I'm not sure if it has a sign in English.

Regards Bojo

Hi,

Thanks a million

Three restaurants worth eating in are, Suan Pak adjoining Central Airport Plaza on the airport side has a salad section & grows it's own hydroponically, Khun Churn in Soi 17 Nimmanhaemin Rd is a well established and well patronised place that has an outdoor area and an aircon room - the lunch buffet is very popular, and Pun Pun at the rear of Wat Suan Dok is a simple outdoor place under a huge tree in the Wat compound that serves delicious vegetarian food at wonderfully low prices but is closed on Wednesdays. Enjoy. :)

The Vegetarian Council - a great place - but make sure that you are not wearing a red shirt. :)

Is it still open? A friend of mine who just loves the affordability there, told me it had closed and months ago I went past and it was shut, I don't know if they we're on extended vegetarian holiday/festival of some type

Regards Bojo

It is actually named "vegetarian society" , Been there a few times, I really tried to like the food but in my opinion it just doesn't taste good. They do however sell organic veggies in their little store. My favorite is the place on Wualai road, heading away from CM gate a little ways past the Wua puak statues, on the right side of the road. Big red and yelow sign with Thai and Chinese characters. Beautiful delicious food, B25 for 2 choices and rice. Very clean, plenty of seating, great staff. Pun Pun @ suan dok, my second fave.

Regards Bojo

It is actually named "vegetarian society" , Been there a few times, I really tried to like the food but in my opinion it just doesn't taste good. They do however sell organic veggies in their little store. My favorite is the place on Wualai road, heading away from CM gate a little ways past the Wua puak statues, on the right side of the road. Big red and yelow sign with Thai and Chinese characters. Beautiful delicious food, B25 for 2 choices and rice. Very clean, plenty of seating, great staff. Pun Pun @ suan dok, my second fave.

Yes, this place, Wualai Rd., is also my own favourite--I agree about the quality and cleanliness, in fact I am there nearly every day--I used to try the one at the market end of Prapokklao Road [ probably not correct spelling] but it became somewhat boring and basic.[ plus, I got knicked for parking a coupla times--incidentally, watch this on Wualai Road, alternate days stuff--I got knicked here once but the owner/manageress of the veggie restaurant would not hear of me paying the fine so told the policeman to give it to her and she dealt with it--great service.]

Gonna try Pun Pun now, I also thought Veggie Society was closed down--maybe go back again.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Good-Vegetar...ts-t236939.html

Shop-wise i usually just pick up things from Tops supermarket. Although im not a big fan of fake meat per say, they have a soy produce section with things like various different kinds of vegetarian sausages and meat balls, as well as different textured tofus. They normally have the jaeh/jay symbol in red writing เจ(which is most commonly used instead of "vegetarian", as it is still vegetarian food).

Edited by eek

Hi,

Thanks a million

I like the one near PraTu ChiangMai gate.

It's behind the market. There are alot of yellow taxi lined up there.

They have a good selection of dry and frozen vege items/products. Very reasonable price and delicious too. The meals there serve with brown rice.

Please consider TianZI Vegetarian restaurant set in a peaceful garden right across from the Imperial Mae Ping on Kampangdin Road. The food is always interesting and supremely healthy. It is a bit pricey. They have a buffet on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 12 to 2, 150 baht.

Enjoy!

I don't like Veg.Society that much, too. Food is not that tasty and has a lot of garlic. The same about Heaven something on Thapae road, though people rave about it.

I didn't know about buffet in TianZi. Almost 2 times more than for Kun Churn's buffet. Do they add garlic in their dishes? Kun Churn does, 50|50, so I still can eat something.

Hi,

Thanks a million

The new Taste 4 Heaven in Tapae road is excellent... as is Pun Pun behind Wat Suan Dok. Also recommend the vegetarian buffet each evening at GAPS house on Thanon Ratchadamnoen (roughly opposite AUA). If you are really strict vegetarin, be careful - lots of Thai places that claim to be vegetarian take the chicken soup and just pull the chicken out at the last minute... :)

There's a Chinese temple outside the Tanawan housing estate that offers tasty vegetarian fare. They open early and sell out by 1pm.

Here's a small list of veg restaurants featured in the July issue of Changpuek Mag: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aECEBbdoF-Q/SkMn...600-h/12_13.jpg

And here's a map of veg some other restaurants around town:

post-22628-1249045529_thumb.jpg

Spot on--excellent map--now I can find the ones that I could never find-----duhh.

I had left a reply regarding the Vegetarian Society several days ago but it disappeared. I am not sure why?

I enjoy eating their organic servings 5 times a week. It is taking a while to return to its previous popularity among the Thais since it closed from May 2008 until it reopened March 2009 due to the political turmoil in Bangkok. I'd say it is up to 80% of its former days. The food for the 1st 3 months since they opened was not as varied since they lost (I assume) a good number of their Thai customers who were from the Red faction. I recently noticed more office and government employees frequenting the restaurant at lunch so I hope they will put out much more dishes. The food is simple and quite good (to me). I think the best time to get the freshest food is either early morning or 12 noonish when the food is either recently prepared or replenished due to turnover.

Their large 10 baht bowl of noodle soup full of tofu and vegetable is delicious.

Yesterday, they celebrated their 17th year opening. All the food and drinks were FREE.

They also have a nice shop where you purchased all kind of natural products, organic vegetables, fruits, cakes, vitamins, cleaning products etc.

Give em a try.

Here's a website specifically for Chiang Mai vegetarians -

http://www.geocities.com/chiangmaivegetari...taurantseng.htm

And this is the link to the map -

http://www.geocities.com/chiangmaivegetarian/mapeng.htm

We veggies are so lucky to live in Chiang Mai where, it would appear, we have more veggie restaurants per sq. km than anywhere else in Thailand! Happy eating!

MCL