Waterproof Female Cigarette-lighter Plug...

gobs

Hi all,

I would like to install a standard "waterproof female cigarette-lighter plug" on the dashboard of my two bikes to be able to easily use GPS or Mobile Phone and plug a battery-tender if needed...

Something like this, strong and with a rubber or plastic cap:

post-41729-1248972101_thumb.jpg

But, after many searches, I can't find one in CNX... Only some cheap and plastic type female plug for cars... By the way, male plugs are easy to find...

Does someone know where to find this female plug in BKK?

In this case, may someone buy 2 pieces and send them to me in CNX. For sure I will pay them back with mailing cost...

Is it a possible way?

Or have you a better idea where and how to find this stuff?

Thanks in advance,

Gobs

Thanks to all for the inputs...

Toyota, Chevy, Triumph... Mmmmmmh, many directions I was not aware...

And thanks for the offer Tony... If I get one before you do, it's me that will send you one! :)

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Gobs

Hello. try to look for a marine or boat shop,they maybe have or can get a waterproof cigarette plug!

this one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Marine-Grad...essoriesQ5fGear

regards

The ones for cars are not even splashproof. But can be installed in a dry place, and use extensioncord.

Marinas/chandleries for splashproof. Never seen waterprof though.

Hella has waterproof sockets in Europe, but its the new DIN standard so adapter on the lighterplug/cord is needed

Thanks to all...

I'm afraid you are right KBB:

1) it's a socket (not a plug),

2) it's rather splashproof than "waterproof"

Sorry for my "not so accurate English"

You give me a good idea too about a chandlery (but here in CNX we are a bit far away from the sea!..), as well as bkkc gave me a link to e-Bay...

And I finally find this:

post-41729-1249313090_thumb.jpg

A bit big, but marine-grade (alloy and O-ring). About 6 $ plug + socket...

For other part, checking the DIN socket on my F650GS, I "discover" it was not at all even splashproof! Just has a average strong plastic cap, I guess to avoid dust or mud, but no O-ring or seal or whatever. At the rear, connectors and wires are not specially protected too... I just noticed the socket is mounted "head down": maybe to avoid water "filling" the socket...

Furthermore, in a heavy pouring rain, all your bike is soaked... as well as all the connectors, switches, wires and the rest! So maybe I worry too much...

Well, I'm going to check in a Toyota (or other) dealer what is available and how are these caped-sockets. After all, maybe it should be OK...

I'll keep you informed... :)

Cheers,

Gobs