Extending A Single Entry Non Imm B

How easy is it for me to extend a Used Single Entry Non Imm B Visa...and what are the costs associated with it? Let’s assume I have not applied for a WP. Does it depend on the explanation given?

How likely is immigration to ignore the explanation and say screw off?

Thanks

You really need a WP to extend it and it costs 1,900 Baht regardless of how long you're getting (although generally you initially get a 9 month extension on top of the 3 months you've activated on entry!).

Without a WP your chances of extending it by more than 30 days or so are slim to non-existent!

There is no such thing as extending a visa. Visas cannot be extended - period.

95% of the people on this (and most other similar) discussion boards misuse the terms "visa" and "entry permit" regularly.

Since you mention a "used single entry visa", you are indedtalking about a VISA. You visa is dead, and it cannot be revived.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Now I am confused.

I have a Used single entry non imm b visa that has been staped USED and am on an entry stamp that expires on April 14th. I leave for the states on March 7th and return march 18th. Can my visa be extended with or w/o a WP after I return if I get a re-entry permit?

matt

Now I am confused.

I have a Used single entry non imm b visa that has been staped USED and am on an entry stamp that expires on April 14th. I leave for the states on March 7th and return march 18th. Can my visa be extended with or w/o a WP after I return if I get a re-entry permit?

matt

You need to get a re-entry permit this end, but yes in theory I think you can 'extend' it (or whatever it should be called), in practice IMO it will be tricky.

Now I am confused.

matt

Apply for a new B visa while you are in the US of A. Where did you get the last visa from ?

You should get a re-entry permit. It will be valid until the end of your entry stamp (April 14). Upon arrival, your passport will be stamped "until April 14". If you don't get the re-entry permit, your visa will not be valid any longer upon return. You can not re-new your visa, but can get extention, if you get legal employement and obtain a work permit, get married to a Thai citizen or apply for a "special invetsor" visa. It can only be done at the Bangkok branch of Immigration.

Now I am confused.

matt

Edited by waltik

Apply for a new B visa while you are in the US of A. Where did you get the last visa from ?

I would do this, but according to a prior post, it is virtually impossible for me to get a Multiple Entry Non-Imm B visa from Los Angeles...not to mention it would cost an additional $150 USD + fedex fees.

I am positive I will be leaving the country at least another time (for travel, and such) while I'm working here...so even if I got a second single entry visa (which costs another $75 USD...which is btw $25 USD more than Penang) I would need to buy a reentry permit...meaning it would cost me more than my poor teachers salary can afford<g>.

I think I'll probably take a gamble, and get a multiple re-entry permit and hope that I get a WP before my visa expires so that it can be extended (or whatever the proper term is).

Matt

Indo-Siam said it already, your visa is dead. You confirm this, it is stamped USED.

You are at this moment staying under a 'permission to stay until April 14', that's your permit issued by immigration.

If you now want to leave and return, get a re-entry permit, costs for single Baht 1000. This will allow you to return before April 14 and to stay until April 14.

The multiple re-entry permit will not help. You can leave and come back as many times as you wish, but only until April 14.

Once you have your WP, you can apply for extension of your permission to stay, up to 1 year from your first entry.

While such application is under consieration, you will get a 30 day extension of your permission to stay and will need a new re-entry, if you want to travel, only valid for this 30 - days - period.

So the multiple makes only sense once you are allowed to stay for (the rest of) 1 year. Also consider the price, single re-entry Baht 1000, multiple Baht 3800, i.e. you start saving from the forth trip, only.

Indo-Siam said it already, your visa is dead. You confirm this, it is stamped USED.

You are at this moment staying under a 'permission to stay until April 14', that's your permit issued by immigration.

If you now want to leave and return, get a re-entry permit, costs for single Baht 1000. This will allow you to return before April 14 and to stay until April 14.

The multiple re-entry permit will not help. You can leave and come back as many times as you wish, but only until April 14.

Once you have your WP, you can apply for extension of your permission to stay, up to 1 year from your first entry.

While such application is under consieration, you will get a 30 day extension of your permission to stay and will need a new re-entry, if you want to travel, only valid for this 30 - days - period.

So the multiple makes only sense once you are allowed to stay for (the rest of) 1 year. Also consider the price, single re-entry Baht 1000, multiple Baht 3800, i.e. you start saving from the forth trip, only.

You are arguing with a non listener Axel :o

I'm sorry if I am a bit repetitive, but I'm a little confused about the expiration of the non-b. I applied for one in November to get a work permit, but I never received my university transcripts in the mail and therefore could not go to the Labour Ministry. Now my work is completed and the non-b is expired, and I need to make a visa run.

Am I now barred from entering the Kingdom as a tourist? Can I re-enter on a 30-day, or a 2 month tourist visa without hassles?

I am on overstay, and need to run for the border tomorrow (Poipet). Is there anything I should know based on the above situation?

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Kat

I'm sorry if I am a bit repetitive, but I'm a little confused about the expiration of the non-b.  I applied for one in November to get a work permit, but I never received my university transcripts in the mail and therefore could not go to the Labour Ministry.  Now my work is completed and the non-b is expired, and I need to make a visa run.

Am I now barred from entering the Kingdom as a tourist?  Can I re-enter on a 30-day, or a 2 month tourist visa without hassles?

I am on overstay, and need to run for the border tomorrow (Poipet).  Is there anything I should know based on the above situation?

Kat

If you are not caught in your run for the border you should not have a problem - that used B visa is not going to be a problem in any case. You will, however, now have an overstay stamp in your passport even if you make it out with only paying a fine. This may cause them to check your entry closer and perhaps confirm you have the required 10k or 20k spending money upon your return. Should not be a problem but do have funds with you just in case.

You have been working illegally it seems so you may well be a target these days; overstay on top was probably not the best move. :o

Yes, you are right, but now you have me wondering whether or not I should make the border run at all. Perhaps I should just buy a ticket out of here and pay on the way back home.

I didn't know that having an overstay stamp in your passport was such a serious offence if it was a few days or a week. Are you suggesting that I'm going to get hassled now all the time?

Kat

Being overstay can be very serious regardless of whether it is days,weeks or months. If you are actually at a border control or immigration then you will be O.K, but until you get there you are treated as an illegal alien, which if the police ask for your passport results in a stay at the immigration cells, and court..

There have been cases in Thailand where immigration officers have gone to pick up points for visa runs and checked passports, all found to be overstay were then arrested.

Once you have cleared immigration and have the overstay stamp in your passport,then some Embassy's can use this as grounds for refusing additional visa's (notably Singapore, but there maybe more)

Do you think I will have a problem going through Poipet on a Sunday? Increase or decrease my chances of being stopped?

Would it be better if I went to Suan Plu, paid the fine, and then went on a border run? Or will they just throw me into one of the holding cells at Suan Plu :o

Edited by kat

Thanks Lopburi. I have to re-evaluate my whole strategy now. I bought a ticket to Aran/Prathet today and was about to board and changed my mind and decided to go tomorrow. I am so glad I logged on instead to seek your advice. I'm going to look into flying out ASAP.

I'm sorry if I am a bit repetitive, but I'm a little confused about the expiration of the non-b.  I applied for one in November to get a work permit, but I never received my university transcripts in the mail and therefore could not go to the Labour Ministry.  Now my work is completed and the non-b is expired, and I need to make a visa run.

Am I now barred from entering the Kingdom as a tourist?  Can I re-enter on a 30-day, or a 2 month tourist visa without hassles?

I am on overstay, and need to run for the border tomorrow (Poipet).  Is there anything I should know based on the above situation?

Kat

Pay the overstay and come back in. Don't overstay again. It can place one in jeopardy and the IDC ain't a nice place.