Thaksin Supporters Claim 5.6m Signatures

george

Yes, this petition is ILLEGAL under Thai law.

But we know how much the convicted fugitive leader of this travesty respects the law.

I am having a dig at the Taksin Bashers as you are all spouting drivel instead of rational argument. Are you saying that organizing such a petition is illegal under Thai law? If so why hasn't the government reacted under the law instead of having useless a war of words?

Speaking of illegal, was the army coup that ousted Taksin legal? That wasn't a travesty then? Or did they write into their new constitution later on that is was in fact legal now after all? But as a stickler for legality that is OK then? You know this could go on and on. Hate Taksin, up to you, but at least post something sensible.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not going to take one minute it will take 10 seconds.

just type the ID number into the database and match the record then tick it.

how long does it take to type 10 or so digits and click search ? i can do it in about 5 seconds.

Did all signatories include their ID# with their signature?

If so, did they use their own ID#

This is the 1st mention I've heard of ID#'s required to be added in a signature drive.

Again, more than a few posters on this topic have mentioned they haven't seen any signature drive activity in their Thai cities. How do you get over 5 million signatures in two weeks by only soliciting them at a few sparsely attended rallies?

Also, those doing the verification process (if indeed it's done at all) will undoubtedly be connected to UDD, and therefore rooting for a flush outcome. Can they be relied upon to nix signatures that aren't verified?

i got the id bit from this post

Every person who signs has to fill in details on the form provided at the bottom of the petition. This gives:

• The persons name
  • The persons signature
  • The persons full address
  • The persons I.D number
  • The persons phone number

Has anyone residing in Thailand seen a signature drive going on? I haven't, and I reside in a region of thoroughly duped Thaksin supporters.

A signature gathering campaign should have unobtrusive people calmly requesting passers-by to sign such 'n such petition. Unless the pedestrian is well-acquainted with the issue-at-hand, that person should be calmly given some info and allowed to sign or to walk away without taunts or shouting. Questions can be addressed.

I haven't seen any of that (either in a civilized or in a coercive manner) though I've just been kicking around in one city.

My guess is the signatures claimed are bogus at best. There may have been a few thousand gathered at some Red Shirt rallies, but it's highly unlikely the campaign resembled anything like a real signature-gathering exercise. TIT, where nothing is as it seems, except overly spicy lifeless food, and ornate wats.

Also, in a bona fine signature campaign, the signatures are gone over to see whether they're authentic. How long would it take to verify 5.6 million signatures (?) - especially in a land where a pizza delivery service can't find an address a few blocks from it's storefront, and most folks have never written or rec'd a letter.

So Taksin the Despised won not an election but two without the need for a coalition. His PPP under the military guns, martial law and an enforced constitution then still won the last election. As such it doesn't seem difficult to believe he is popular with the majority of Thai voters regardless of your passionate opinion.

Now you claim that these signatures are bogus based presumably on your occasional stroll through the local market. As you are calling these people liars would you be so good to back that up with some hard evidence rather than the light weight supposition posted here? If the government had such evidence they would be using it, perhaps you could help them out?

Even if it is another yehar bash Taksin thread, if you are going to make accusations then at least back it up. Otherwise use IMHO to show that the claims have no actual basis in fact bar personal opinion.

I dismiss the legitimacy of the signatures and of the supposed campaign to obtain them. I dismiss on the basis of having lived and worked in Thailand for ten years. That's a valid qualification and credential to dismiss any such effort. And this one is emminently dismissable, not to mention immediately dismissable.

Dismissed.

STAMP

how long does it take to type 10 or so digits and click search ? i can do it in about 5 seconds.

Don't be silly, plokum.

An matching name and ID proves nothing , only that whoever printed the paper has access to public/government records.

Each signature has to be verified by atleast a phone-call, right? I mean, if you are talking about *verified*, and not only a procedure that allows them to have signed up absolutely anyone since they wouldn't know they where included...

Before I lived in Texas, :) Lyndon B, Johnson was elected U S Senator by "Luck 13" ballot box and other election fraud. "...202 ballots in Precinct 13 in Jim Wells County that had curiously been cast in alphabetical order and all just at the close of polling. (All of the people whose names appeared on the ballots were found to have been dead on election day.) Robert Caro argued in his 1989 book that Johnson had rigged the election in Jim Wells County, and other counties in South Texas, as well as rigging 10,000 ballots in Bexar County alone.[17] A judge, Luis Salas, said in 1947 that he had certified 202 fraudulent ballots for Johnson.[18]..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_B._Johnson

60 years later, a criminal Thai with a Texas Ph.D. in criminology collects fraudulent signatures...

Don't be silly, plokum.

An matching name and ID proves nothing , only that whoever printed the paper has access to public/government records.

Each signature has to be verified by atleast a phone-call, right? I mean, if you are talking about *verified*, and not only a procedure that allows them to have signed up absolutely anyone since they wouldn't know they where included...

i think all they need to do is check for duplicates and check that the ID and name is valid and matches with the other details on record. then make some random sample statistically large enough and do some further checks. anything more, eg 5 million phone calls is ridiculous you tawp.

if they made them up, why stop at 5 million? why not 10 or 20 ?

Before I lived in Texas, :D Lyndon B, Johnson was elected U S Senator by "Luck 13" ballot box and other election fraud. "...202 ballots in Precinct 13 in Jim Wells County that had curiously been cast in alphabetical order and all just at the close of polling. (All of the people whose names appeared on the ballots were found to have been dead on election day.) Robert Caro argued in his 1989 book that Johnson had rigged the election in Jim Wells County, and other counties in South Texas, as well as rigging 10,000 ballots in Bexar County alone.[17] A judge, Luis Salas, said in 1947 that he had certified 202 fraudulent ballots for Johnson.[18]..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_B._Johnson

60 years later, a criminal Thai with a Texas Ph.D. in criminology collects fraudulent signatures...

Ah, yes...Landslide Lyndon--won that Senate race by 13 votes or somesuch. Thousands of dead people voted for him that year so he must have had some eerie powers.

Well said about Texas and Thailand.

TiT...Thailand in Texas... :)

...Texas in Thailand. :D

JFK knew that by choosing LBJ, aka LL, as his running mate the electoral votes of Texas to make the difference would be assured in that very close election outcome.

Some fool from Texas some years back tried to say to me Sam Houston University, which you know is the less than emminent alma mater of Dr. Thaksin, was a respected university but even after I put a burst of roaring laughter in his face the Texan still wouldn't quit. Explainable I'd guess 'cause he's a Texan who worships Fidel Castro.

Anyway, I had to go to Texas to attend a conference at which Clarence Thomas was the principal speaker before he became an appelate court judge so I got an all expenses paid worst domestic trip of my life.

Your post tho adds a new dimension to TiT. :D

Has anyone residing in Thailand seen a signature drive going on? I haven't, and I reside in a region of thoroughly duped Thaksin supporters.

A signature gathering campaign should have unobtrusive people calmly requesting passers-by to sign such 'n such petition. Unless the pedestrian is well-acquainted with the issue-at-hand, that person should be calmly given some info and allowed to sign or to walk away without taunts or shouting. Questions can be addressed.

I haven't seen any of that (either in a civilized or in a coercive manner) though I've just been kicking around in one city.

My guess is the signatures claimed are bogus at best. There may have been a few thousand gathered at some Red Shirt rallies, but it's highly unlikely the campaign resembled anything like a real signature-gathering exercise. TIT, where nothing is as it seems, except overly spicy lifeless food, and ornate wats.

Also, in a bona fine signature campaign, the signatures are gone over to see whether they're authentic. How long would it take to verify 5.6 million signatures (?) - especially in a land where a pizza delivery service can't find an address a few blocks from it's storefront, and most folks have never written or rec'd a letter.

So Taksin the Despised won not an election but two without the need for a coalition. His PPP under the military guns, martial law and an enforced constitution then still won the last election. As such it doesn't seem difficult to believe he is popular with the majority of Thai voters regardless of your passionate opinion.

Now you claim that these signatures are bogus based presumably on your occasional stroll through the local market. As you are calling these people liars would you be so good to back that up with some hard evidence rather than the light weight supposition posted here? If the government had such evidence they would be using it, perhaps you could help them out?

Even if it is another yehar bash Taksin thread, if you are going to make accusations then at least back it up. Otherwise use IMHO to show that the claims have no actual basis in fact bar personal opinion.

He most definitely HAD a coalition including Snoh and Newin

and Chalerm and several other old school slippery weasles.

Two other parties were banned with TRT and they were coalition members.

He never won and outright MAJORITY of THAI VOTERS...

His party won the largest minority percentage and thus the right to form a government,

since the PARTNER parties were co-opted into line via CASH and PERKS at the trough,

he held it together long enough to win a similar MINORITY percentage,

but still within a very few single digit points of the Democrats.

As far qas the veracity of Veera and Nuttawat on stage, they are proved time and time again,

to have a very stretchy, slippery, sui generis way with the truth today.

Bullshite mixed with innuendo and revolutionary flatulence,

aimed at the lesser minds in the electorate, masquerading as 'Freedumb Fighters"

It was never this grand democratic blow up his side portrays.

He does lay claim rightly to being the FIRST to finish a term...

but fell JUST LIKE ALL OTHERS with a few months into the NEXT term.

~True to form if not typical schedule.

He said he has seen NO SIGNATURE CAMPAIGNING in his corner of the north...

that is first hand observation. But seems you would want him to take

a -picture- 'of signatures not being gathered! ' LOL so droll and yet so... pick an adjective.

Edited by animatic

I saw it on TV with my own eyes - 4.19 million signatures, I think he even gave an exact number. Now it's 5.6 million, or maybe 5.4.

Do they actually count them? Or is it - five trucks, one truck should have about a million, and there are some in the cabin as well.

I won't be surprised if it turns out a lot less than that, but no one would care. The goal of this exercise is to create publicity, and so whatever is boldly announced is good. Real numbers don't matter.

Just like after April 2006 elections Thaksin went on national TV and announced a decisive win with 16 million, several days ahead of the EC itself. That number was flying around, while official results were never announced, and it took months before the elections were annuled, and then everyone lost interest. Later Chang Noi wrote an article on Thaksin's dubious claim.

>>

There were 42 million votes cast in last elections, and they've been collecting those signatures for about a month nationwide. Even five million is well short of a majority.

And about majority - someone mentioned here that PPP won the elections, so the majority of Thai voters were on their side. That is absolutely wrong. PPP won the biggest number of seats out of seven parties, gathering only about 36% of MPs. That's NOT a majority by any stretch. And, similar to Gore-Bush elections, more people actually cast votes for Democrats than for PPP on national party lists (separate from voting for a local MP).

>>

What next is another attempt at government overthrow, the petition is just a warm up.

>>

Reconciliation is dead and buried. Thaksin fan club cannot co-exist with the Thai society. They've got to go. Crashed, ignored, outlawed, outlived - whatever. They've been given plenty of chances, those who still stay are incurable. I hope Abhisit finds some less painful way to deal with them, but it is clear that they will not hold any stake in the country's future.

Thaksin supporters claim 5.6m signatures

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- United Front for Democracy (UDD) leaders told a mass rally of supporters at Sanam Luang last night that they had collected more than five million signatures from people in support of a royal pardon for exiled former prime minister Thaksin Shinwatra.

The mass signing came despite last minute efforts by the Government and opposition parties to convince people who had already signed the petition to sign another recanting their support.

Veera Musigapong, one of the red shirts organizers, told a gathering that some put at more than 30,000, that 5.6 million signatures had been collected from all over the country.

He also said the UDD will hold a protest at the Interior Ministry next Monday against Interior Minister Chaovarat Chanweerakul, whose Bhum Jai Thai Party is campaigning against the UDDs petition.

On Thursday Chaovarat instructed local authorities nationwide to launch a counter-signature campaign for petition signers to recant their endorsement.

Opposition to the petition also came from Chart Thai Pattana Party spokesman Watchara Kannikar, who urged people who had signed the petition to take the appropriateness of their action into consideration.

Chaovarat claimed many people who had signed the petition now wanted to remove their names, so every province and district was instructed to set up a table for the people to recant the original signing.

Red shirt supporters began gathering at Sanam Luang on Friday morning, building steadily throughout the day despite rainy conditions.

The disgraced premier made another of his famous telephone calls to address his supporters, telling them, "I want to return your favour by working for you. If I can work to return your favour, I will be able to die peacefully".

The Government has launched a belated campaign, including erecting huge billboards at major intersections and running television infomercials, explaining the petition has no legitimacy in law as a royal pardon can only be issued after a convicted person has served part of their sentence and admitted their guilt – neither of which the former prime minister has done.

The UDD said it would take about a week to verify the signatures before submitting the petition to the king, a move that has outraged royalists for involving the monarchy in national politics and which could result in charges of causing offense to the monarchy to be laid against those submitting the petition.

Thaksin skipped Thailand while on bail ahead of being convicted in absentia of corruption while in office last year, after being deposed as prime minister in a 2006 coup following his win in two back-to-back elections - the second with an outright majority amidst claims of the largest voter turn-out in Thailand's history.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2009-08-01

Only one signature counts, and i hardly doubt he will ever get that :):D

Wife wants to know if she can sign the petition at the Thai Embassy in London. :)

Since she heard about it she has told all of her relatives over there tae get their pencils out....Thai way of doing things suppose and as for me .....going for a pint ..... :D

Hello, this shows how popular Thaksin is to the Thai people. The numbers are high for the amount of signatures, but do we know if all the signatures are from the correct people or real people? Maybe these people do not understand the law as written in this article, but it is like the elections in that maybe some people will get more money to sign on. Cheers.

Anupong deploys soldiers to explain to people about Thaksin-pardon petition

Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda said he has ordered commander of all army units to have their subordinates explain the correct procedures for seeking a royal pardon to the people nationwide.

But Anupong said he realised that it would not be easy to change the mind of the people.

Anupong took the action after the red-shirt movement announced that it had gathered over 4 million signatures to petition His Majesty for a royal pardon for former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Several groups said it was inappropriate to raise the signatures for Thaksin-pardon petition as it could be seen as an attempt to involve His Majesty in politics.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/08/01

For a perceptive review of the militarys latest efforts to steer the nation on a straight and steady course with tax-payers money see Chang Noi's latest: http://www.geocities.com/changnoi2/massthink.htm

For a perceptive, non-partisan, satirical perspective I can do no better than advise careful reading of the the latest "notthenation" story.

"Life-Size Thaksin Cardboard Cutout Industry Saves Economy" (but I wont post a link) :)

Edited by seri thai

Yes, this petition is ILLEGAL under Thai law.

But we know how much the convicted fugitive leader of this travesty respects the law.

So was the coup but didn't stop it happening.

They had to get a conviction to save face.

The former coup is not illegal, read the constitution.

maybe , maybe not

his second point is still valid - "They had to get a conviction to save face."

I truly hope that Thaksin can come home soon. Then the other open charges against him could be dealt with. Did the Reds forget all this, the damage he has done to Thailand?? Did they gone blind? Just a reminder - and this listing should have been shown to all of those, who signed this petition, beforehand. Here it is (Source: Bangkok Post):

Acts of dishonesty:

1. (Purchase of land worth 772 million baht from the Bank of Thailand's Financial Institutions Development Fund.) - dealt with

2. Purchase of rubber saplings worth 1.44 billion baht by the Department of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture and Co-operatives.

3. Purchase of luggage conveyor belts and CTX 9000 bomb scanners.

Damage to state: 1.5 billion baht.

4. Issuance of two and three-digit lottery tickets by the Government Lottery Bureau.

Damage to state: 37.790 billion baht. +

5. Loans by Krung Thai Bank executives.

Damage to state: 5.185 billion baht.

Abuse of power to accumulate unusual wealth:

1. Change in agreement on revenue sharing for prepaid mobile phone services to benefit Advanced Info Service (AIS).

Damage to state: 71.667 billion baht.

2. Change in agreement on the rate of revenue sharing between TOT and AIS.

Damage to state: 700 million baht.

3. Issuing of an executive decree on telecommunications excise taxes, and a cabinet resolution turning concession fees into excise taxes.

Damage to state: 30.667 billion baht.

4. Instructing TOT to rent and invest unnecessarily in the satellite frequency of Shin Satellite.

5. Ordering Exim Bank to allow the Burmese government to draw loans amounting to 1 billion baht in order to buy products and services from Shin Satellite.

6. Using international trade negotiations to trade national interests for those of the satellite businesses of Shin Corp, adding considerable business value to Shin Satellite.

I truly hope that Thaksin can come home soon. Then the other open charges against him could be dealt with. Did the Reds forget all this, the damage he has done to Thailand?? Did they gone blind? Just a reminder - and this listing should have been shown to all of those, who signed this petition, beforehand. Here it is (Source: Bangkok Post):

Acts of dishonesty:

1. (Purchase of land worth 772 million baht from the Bank of Thailand's Financial Institutions Development Fund.) - dealt with

2. Purchase of rubber saplings worth 1.44 billion baht by the Department of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture and Co-operatives.

4. Issuance of two and three-digit lottery tickets by the Government Lottery Bureau.

1. Change in agreement on revenue sharing for prepaid mobile phone services to benefit Advanced Info Service (AIS).

3. Issuing of an executive decree on telecommunications excise taxes, and a cabinet resolution turning concession fees into excise taxes.

4. Instructing TOT to rent and invest unnecessarily in the satellite frequency of Shin Satellite.

5. Ordering Exim Bank to allow the Burmese government to draw loans amounting to 1 billion baht in order to buy products and services from Shin Satellite.

6. Using international trade negotiations to trade national interests for those of the satellite businesses of Shin Corp, adding considerable business value to Shin Satellite.

THIS POST SHOULD BE PINNED TO EVERY THAKSIN THREAD

WELL DONE FXE1200

Thaksin fan club cannot co-exist with the Thai society. They've got to go. Crashed, ignored, outlawed, outlived - whatever. They've been given plenty of chances, those who still stay are incurable.

your sounding more and more like Hitler with every new post.

And you are sounding more like Herman Goering. So there is a point?

Thaksin fan club cannot co-exist with the Thai society. They've got to go. Crashed, ignored, outlawed, outlived - whatever. They've been given plenty of chances, those who still stay are incurable.

your sounding more and more like Hitler with every new post.

"In a related development, Thepthai Senpong, Abhisit's personal spokesman, condemned Thaksin for pressuring the monarchy by using his supporters to create bargaining power in his own interest.

"When will the red shirts stop? What they are doing has aggravated the situation and widened conflict in the country,'' he said." - in today's Nation

See - it's not only me, reasoning with these people is not possible anymore.

I think Abhisit opted for "sit it out" option. Every now and again Thaksin would try some PR move to get some support, then stir up some trouble, Abhisit would deal with it and red support would plummet until eventually Thaksin runs out of options or energy.

Note how before April reds were all about democracy, and so were many their supporters on this board. Now that "democracy" idea failed to raise enough support to overthrown the govt, Thaksin is banking on his own popularity, and so are many of red supporters on this board - no one talks about democracy anymore, only about Thaksin himself.

I'm sure after failure of this petition and whatever violence Thaksin planned afterwards to exploit it, he'll come up with some new idea to enlist red foot soldiers, and then it will fail again. And so it will continue for a while, but it's one person's efforts against the whole country, it will subside sooner or later.

I'd give about two weeks for this current wave - one week to clear up what to do with the petition, one week for the follow up violence. Any longer than that and Thaksin will either lose momentum or he will got into August 12 with a very unwelcome agenda.

Then, after Mother's Day, Abhisit will come out with his usual line - that's enough with Thaksin and his troublemakers, people, don't forget we've got a country to run, and everyone will agree.

Or, perhaps, Thaksin would shif to "save democracy" mood again to divert anti-petition backlash and start the next round of rallies around govt house or something, ala April lead in.

Acts of dishonesty:

THIS POST SHOULD BE PINNED TO EVERY THAKSIN THREAD

WELL DONE FXE1200

Yep, pretty much.

And it leaves off the Songkran fomenting insurrection, LM, and rioting charges.

And the flight from justice / bail jumping charges too.

The goal of this exercise is to create publicity, and so whatever is boldly announced is good. Real numbers don't matter.

That's the bottom line. It's a way to keep Thaksin's name on the front pages of the newspapers. He's nothing without big money and he's nothing without on-going publicity.

What's next, several Goodyear sized blimps, shaped like his head, floating over large population areas?

with a tape loop proclaiming, "bring me back and you will each get lots more money!"

p.s. I asked my Thai g.f. why she likes Thaksin, and she replied that her friend got extra money to go to college via one of T's initiatives (or one of his hand-outs). She and I communicate in Thai, and my Thai is v. limited, so too are our conversations. I was going to suggest that perhaps some of T's largesse stemmed from him having been in charge of the 3-person committee which oversaw how lottery proceeds get dispersed (several billion baht, at least), but that concept was not easily conveyed, so I let it be.

I do recall, however, a week before the tax-evasion fracas broke on the news, how T was visiting an outlying village. There was an elder frail woman there, and T. reached in his pocket and gave her a Bt.1,000 bill (that would be equivalent to you or me handing out 20 satang). All the cameras flashed, and every one on the scene grinned in appreciation. T, who had just officially declared his assets as a small fraction of what they really were, announced to the press corps that he was actually "a poor man" .....and everyone on the scene chuckled in their obligatory way.

Edited by brahmburgers

Acts of dishonesty:

Finally after wading through 1 hour of BS ,someone makes sense.

Thankyou

FYI - The author of this article, John Le Fevre, is a well known red shirt sympathiser. Previously known on here as Photojourn.

Facts quoted in the OP to be taken with as much salt as a recent Bangkok Post poll.

/edit - attach best image I can find:

post-5600-1249203779.jpg

Edited by Insight

Acts of dishonesty:

Finally after wading through 1 hour of BS ,someone makes sense.

Thankyou

That list is appreciated and needs to be looked at closely by anyone interested in the contemporary political situation in Thailand. That would not include the Red Shirts, as they would summarily dismiss the allegations without even reading them. The whole Red Shirt mentality revolves around money. It involves getting their debts forgiven, and gaining more money. Because T is the richest Thai person, they assume that being a cheerleader for him, will get them more money. Looking at their actions and their rhetoric, their cause has nothing to do with really helping disadvantaged Thais, or with real democracy. It's all about money, and as long as T can keep them hoping they can get more of the stuff by hitching on to his coattails, then they'll keep hanging on and rooting for him.

....oh, ok admittedly it has a bit to do with revenge and anger at Bkk elites, but that's just window dressing.

The goal of this exercise is to create publicity, and so whatever is boldly announced is good. Real numbers don't matter.

....He's nothing without big money and he's nothing without on-going publicity.

What's next, several Goodyear sized blimps, shaped like his head, floating over large population areas?

with a tape loop proclaiming, "bring me back and you will each get lots more money!"

So how do Squarehead Blimps navigate? We know his would be filled with plenty of hot air.

Will Nuttawat be attached rearwards to shout it forwards, while PTP pulls the lines along?

Of course Thaksin has always been a Thai elite member of some vacillating standing.

Most politicians are part of the elites also, and if not they chum around, hoping for droppings,

with those too well heeled to risk their name actually DOING politics.

Revenge on the eilites...

Well we know how well the French revolution panned out for the original Revolutionary Leaders

Robspierre, Danton CHOP! Marat knifed in the bath for his writings:

Charlotte Corday, said to his guards, that she had an article for the newspaper.

While Marat was in a bath, she took her breadknife, and killed him.

Four days later Charlotte Corday was executed by the guillotine. She said that she killed him,

because of the way that all of his writings in the newspaper, was a big reason to all the September killings.

"The French Revolution which is a prime example of Gresham's law of political morality:

the bad drives out the good as everyone becomes corrupted while political life becomes

not unlike the Hobbesian war of all against all in

"a perpetual and restless desire for power, that ceaseth only in death."

Maximilien Robespierre

"Softness to traitors will destroy us all."

Speech on the Justification of the Use of Terror

"If the spring of popular government in time of peace is virtue,

the springs of popular government in revolution are at once virtue and terror:

virtue, without which terror is fatal; terror, without which virtue is powerless.

Terror is nothing other than justice, prompt, severe, inflexible...

It has been said that terror is the principle of despotic government.

Does your government therefore resemble despotism?

Yes, as the sword that gleams in the hands of the heroes of liberty

resembles that with which the henchmen of tyranny are armed.

The Revolutionary Tribunal ordered the execution of 2,400 people in Paris by July 1794.

Across France 30,000 people lost their lives. The victims were clergy, aristocracy,

and common people. Anyone who disagreed with the Jacobins was a "threat to the Republic."

During one rapacious stretch of mindless revolutionary paranoia,

1,376 individuals were guillotined in only 47 days.

The moderate girondist Mme. Jeanne Roland de la Platiere's last words

before her death on the guillotine were: "O liberty! how they have played with you."

The Terror was designed to fight the enemies of the revolution,

to prevent counter-revolution from gaining ground.

Most of the people rounded up were not aristocrats, but ordinary people.

A man (and his family) might go to the guillotine for saying something

critical of the revolutionary government. If an informer happened to overhear,

that was all the tribunal needed.

Results of the French Revolution

The French Revolution ended feudalism, absolute monarchy,

and the special privileges of the nobles and clergy.

The Constitution guaranteed individual rights (lost during the Reign of Terror).

The Bourgeosie gained power and became the most powerful class in France.

They started "Nationalism," the love of country, instead of love for a monarch or small group.

Those who don't read and learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Edited by animatic

FYI - The author of this article, John Le Fevre, is a well known red shirt sympathiser. Previously known on here as Photojourn.

Facts quoted in the OP to be taken with as much salt as a recent Bangkok Post poll.

/edit - attach best image I can find:

Then you clearly haven't read enough of what I've written. :):D