I Want To Live In Thailand !

Hi guys, i am 22 australia and want to live in thailand ! i no this question has been asked befor

but not exactly like this one. i have saved up 1 million bht i can wait

and save up some more if need be, i know i can last on 1 million bht for a long time

in thailand but i dont want to just keep eating into it i want to be able live there for a

long time.i know i cant live there more then a year at a time dont mind flying back every year

for a little bit.Also i want to live in phuket if that helps answering the question. And

my english is shis so i am not going to be a english teacher haha...

So my question is, is there any thing i can do like rent a shop or bar to make a income

that can cover my living exspenses so i dont just eat away my money ?

I hear you need a working permit also, isnt there away around it buy havning

thai staff or somthing ??

cheers guys

sorry to the people that is sick of this question.

OP, are you serious? Do you just want to blow your million baht? You want to buy a what? :)

You need to focus on life now, forget about Thailand and when you have about 400 million baht you can invest it, retire early and move to Thailand.

You do NOT want to buy a beer bar.....its one guaranteed way of losing everything you have.

Let me guess, you just had your first 2 week holiday in Phuket, right?

Hi guys, i am 22 australia and want to live in thailand ! i no this question has been asked befor

and save up some more if need be, i know i can last on 1 million bht for a long time

in thailand but i dont want to just keep eating into it i want to be able live there for a

long time.i know i cant live there more then a year at a time dont mind flying back every year

for a little bit.Also i want to live in phuket if that helps answering the question. And

So my question is, is there any thing i can do like rent a shop or bar to make a income

cheers guys

mate i don't think 1 million will last long,your monthly expence will be atleast 30,000,it can be more also but 30 k is minimum(if you don't have a thai girlfriend),yes you can do some business but bar is not a good idea,as not much tourist is thailand now,

cheers guys

I saw let him try it. The only way immature children learn is by doing and failing.

welll no i was there for 3 months doing muay thai . and no i am not planning on blowing 1 million bht thats why i am asking what is the best way to invest 1million into a business

1 million baht isn't going to get you too far really, but if you are really serious about this, why don't you contact the Muay Thai School and see if they want an investor/instructor. It's worth a try if you really want to do something like this. Good Luck!

Hey Sean yours is the question so many ask.

But your quite young to be living full time in LOS.

If it is because a girl your better off getting her a visa to your country

where you can have a better living financially.

but if not.................

How are you at the Muay Thai?

There is no good way for you to make a living there but if your good at Muay maybe you can

set up something to help other falangs with that?

It would be basically on the sly or through a Thai friend if it is a open business.

Other than that export Muay Thai equipment is good for some. But I think your late to that game probably.

You realize your asking about business at a very bad time even for folks who have been in business

for a long time?

Good Luck with the fever! :)

welll no i was there for 3 months doing muay thai . and no i am not planning on blowing 1 million bht thats why i am asking what is the best way to invest 1million into a business

The best business right now is a good portfolio in the stock markets. The markets are flying right now and still trillions to go back in. You have enough to double your money in the next year. Then buy a big straw hat and Original ray bans with reflector lenses. Find an island you like string up hammock and relax. :)

ok thanks flying thanks alot that was the sort of answers i was looking for :D yeah i was thinking muay thai the gym does offer free rooms and training to fighters and you get paid around 5000bht per fight but i dont think i can do that for ever haha

Yeah I know but your young :)

Kidding aside I was thinking more along the lines of Muay Thai fitness for falangs living there. Maybe you could get a routine workout type of deal going. You would be like a personal trainer. Maybe even work out a fitness program you take to folks homes. Help them do a work out with maybe a nod towards self defense/arobic work out. Maybe some light sparing.

Good Luck

Here let me help you OP.

Follow these rules:

1. Don't buy a beer bar.

2. Don't invest your money into a business here in thailand.

3. These are the best years of your life for earning money, go get yourself a few jobs, yes work in the daytime, then in the nighttime & finally invest your money wisely.

and then re-post here when you have a few more million saved up, at which time rules 1 & 2 will still apply.

Goodluck, I remember being in my twenties, it was good.

The best business right now is a good portfolio in the stock markets. The markets are flying right now and still trillions to go back in. You have enough to double your money in the next year. Then buy a big straw hat and Original ray bans with reflector lenses. Find an island you like string up hammock and relax. :)

I was thinking the same thing!

Stockmarket will be booming the next couple years! I’m myself a beginner (for a year or so!), but the lost couple months I’m doing all right!

So my advice: became a daytrader, but learn first at home with small investment, then you can work from Thailand by internet on the aussi stockmarket!

I will be doing the same thing!

Good luck dude!

Dreams ,Dreams ,oh what it is to be young .

sorry my friend ,but believe me with only 1 million baht it wont be long till you are back on the plane home ,with just your memories .

P.S NEVER EVER ,EVER THINK OF BUYING A BAR.

all the best

Edited by thaimate

hi seanross

my advice to if you want to live in thailand just go for it mate,you say you have some money saved,but when you do take the plunge just try not to blow it all to quikly.

also if you can try to stay away from the tourist hot spots ie pattaya,phuket etc as i feel these places are well over the top on prices,thailand is a very big place mate try and do some reserch and move to a place in thai were is up and coming,with all thai and just afew falang and try to start somthing different,youll be surprised at the stark differece in the prices of things ie rent,thai food etc etc,

i personaly dont think you will see the real thailand and tha real thai people if you live in the heavily ex pat community.

:)

Stockmarket will be booming the next couple years! I'm myself a beginner (for a year or so!), but the lost couple months I'm doing all right!

So my advice: became a daytrader, but learn first at home with small investment, then you can work from Thailand by internet on the aussi stockmarket!

Good luck dude!

I would suggest not following these stock advices. This is probably a post bounce that may run more yet but will crash even further. Even if I'm wrong you need to know what you are doing, and listening to TV reports ain't it. Look at the US alone, rising unemployment (real unmassaged rate currently 15%), deficits off in the stratosphere with more mortgage pain due next year, walking dead dollar, falling company profits and huge bank losses due despite new fraudulent accounting rules.

If Aussie stock market, commodities will run until China turns off the artificial bubbles they are also creating. I know some good players here that are making money but ready to press the sell button sometime this month.

cheers guys

Take many frequent cold showers and this urge too shall pass, I can only hope it does. If it does not, be prepared that you will set back your career/earning potential by many years before the realities hit home. Good luck, which ever way you go.

The best business right now is a good portfolio in the stock markets. The markets are flying right now and still trillions to go back in. You have enough to double your money in the next year. Then buy a big straw hat and Original ray bans with reflector lenses. Find an island you like string up hammock and relax. :D

Stockmarket will be booming the next couple years! I'm myself a beginner (for a year or so!), but the lost couple months I'm doing all right!

Good luck dude!

I would suggest not following these stock advices. This is probably a post bounce that may run more yet but will crash even further. Even if I'm wrong you need to know what you are doing, and listening to TV reports ain't it. Look at the US alone, rising unemployment (real unmassaged rate currently 15%), deficits off in the stratosphere with more mortgage pain due next year, walking dead dollar, falling company profits and huge bank losses due despite new fraudulent accounting rules.

If Aussie stock market, commodities will run until China turns off the artificial bubbles they are also creating. I know some good players here that are making money but ready to press the sell button sometime this month.

I entered the markets with money from a house sale in November. A total newbie back when bhp was $20 and rio $33

Only entered because of the "blood on the streets theory" the thing is the institutions that are bearish have now been forced to buy at the top of the 2nd biggest rally in history. This alone will create a vacuum effect at least untill 2010 when we will go sideways and only then will I consider selling. If op decides to trade then USE A STOP LOSS!!! :)

p.s the charts on the dow show a huge gap up to 10,000 which will be filled. what happens after that is anyone's guess but cross that bridge when we get to it

Edited by zorro1

From some of the comments I'm reminded of a famous George Best quote which went along the lines of

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

OP, are you serious? Do you just want to blow your million baht? You want to buy a what? :)

You need to focus on life now, forget about Thailand and when you have about 400 million baht you can invest it, retire early and move to Thailand.

So you mean that my 350 million baht that i've saved up ain't enough to live in thailand? Well my family's not going to be too happy having to move back to Iran.

cheers guys

Pal, if you really want to live here, then go ahead and take the plung. I did it back in 2000. Came here with about the same. However I'm an engineer and was able to find some good work on and off. Now have my own company. Not rich yet, but doing ok. DO listen to the other posters, 1 million will not last long. Thailand is a hard place to make money, espically when you are a farang. Thai's are going to look at you like you are rich and think you can afford to lose money, you need to be careful investigate things. Check pricing on rooms before renting. Be careful with girls, when you have one money goes even faster, it's always something. Even the good girls, most of the time it's not their fault their family finds out she has a farang and next thing you know this is broke. someone died. moms sick cow died something. always something. Best thing to do is always tell any girls you are with, you have no money. If she really likes you she will stick around. However if you tell them you have no money you cant be going out eating at big restaurants, you need to eat on the street. Budget your money. try to get by on only 5000 baht week, not including rent. Find a small condo for 5 or 6K per month. Then your money will get you 1 year. if you want pm me and I will give you some more help

Check Sunbelt Asia's listings for non-tourism related businesses for sale other than bars, restaurants, guesthouses, internet cafes or massage joints. Find one that is interesting to you that will cost no more than half of the capital you have on hand. Make sure you have enough extra cash to live on for one year (maybe THB 400,000).

Find a cheap apartment, prepare a CV, network (not in bars), spend all day looking for a job and take anything you can get until you can find something that can sustain you permanently. There is work around, usually in sales, transport etc.

Worked for me and I have been here 15 years. Worked for all my mates that have been here between 5-20 years. Some have degrees, experience etc. some had no more tham a year 10 education.

Comments above along the lines of 'stay where you are and forget about Thailand' are most probably from people that have tried and failed or don't have the balls to do it in the first place.

Here let me help you OP.

Follow these rules:

1. Don't buy a beer bar.

3. These are the best years of your life for earning money, go get yourself a few jobs, yes work in the daytime, then in the nighttime & finally invest your money wisely.

and then re-post here when you have a few more million saved up, at which time rules 1 & 2 will still apply.

i agree with most of what you say but, no offense, the tone of #3 and other replies of the like are way off base.

being 'older' the most constant truism i've learned from my life and those i know is that it is what we DON'T do that we regret (unless what we do is life damaging- crime, drugs, whatever). youth should be spent enjoying life free of what comes with aging: career, commitments which make such a move impossible, aging parents to care for, home ownership, bills, kids, etc etc.

the time worn 'work hard when you're young so you can travel and live 'the good life' later is backwards in many ways. your body and energy and ability to take advantage of things at 50 (or later) is not what it is in your 20's. if you have your head on straight when you're young to take a couple years to travel or live in a foreign country, etc- THAT is the time to do it. unless he was given the $1mm baht he says he has saved- that shows he's ahead of the curve if he can save that much. even if he blows it all and has to head home in a year- so what! leave enough $ at home for your return flight and a few months living expenses to get a job again and then go for it if you are so driven. frankly, he'll look better fro future employers- shows he had the persepective to enjoy his youth, got the wild hair out of his system and is probably ready to embark on career after the adventure.

i took the 'work hard and salt it away path and i COMPLETELY REGRET IT. my carefree years were spent working 70 hour weeks and never going on holiday (couldn't be 'irresponsible' and blow the $ i was saving for the future). pissed away a lot of my best years, imo. the truth is: i could have graduated university and then pissed away the next 3-5 years on pure enjoyment instead and i wouldn't have really hurt anything or been behind where i'm at now. since then, life has intervened to make such adventures impossible and now, at way too many years old, i'm trying to set up traveling and living abroad to the extent possible- still, family needs make it difficult at best.

those who are f-ups are going to be that anyway from my experience. if you have your act together, you can easily sustain putting off your 'earning years' and enjoying your life in the most free and enjoyable time- your youth. just follow the golden rule: don't be dumb. ie: don't do something that will jeopardize your future. beyond that, enjoy yourself.

OP, are you serious? Do you just want to blow your million baht? You want to buy a what? :D

So you mean that my 350 million baht that i've saved up ain't enough to live in thailand? Well my family's not going to be too happy having to move back to Iran.

Hey, you will be fine scraping by on the 350 million baht.....if you come to poi pet with me, I will double it for you in one nite :)

Here let me help you OP.

Follow these rules:

1. Don't buy a beer bar.

i agree with most of what you say but, no offense, the tone of #3 and other replies of the like are way off base.

being 'older' the most constant truism i've learned from my life and those i know is that it is what we DON'T do that we regret (unless what we do is life damaging- crime, drugs, whatever). youth should be spent enjoying life free of what comes with aging: career, commitments which make such a move impossible, aging parents to care for, home ownership, bills, kids, etc etc.

the time worn 'work hard when you're young so you can travel and live 'the good life' later is backwards in many ways. your body and energy and ability to take advantage of things at 50 (or later) is not what it is in your 20's. if you have your head on straight when you're young to take a couple years to travel or live in a foreign country, etc- THAT is the time to do it. unless he was given the $1mm baht he says he has saved- that shows he's ahead of the curve if he can save that much. even if he blows it all and has to head home in a year- so what! leave enough $ at home for your return flight and a few months living expenses to get a job again and then go for it if you are so driven. frankly, he'll look better fro future employers- shows he had the persepective to enjoy his youth, got the wild hair out of his system and is probably ready to embark on career after the adventure.

i took the 'work hard and salt it away path and i COMPLETELY REGRET IT. my carefree years were spent working 70 hour weeks and never going on holiday (couldn't be 'irresponsible' and blow the $ i was saving for the future). pissed away a lot of my best years, imo. the truth is: i could have graduated university and then pissed away the next 3-5 years on pure enjoyment instead and i wouldn't have really hurt anything or been behind where i'm at now. since then, life has intervened to make such adventures impossible and now, at way too many years old, i'm trying to set up traveling and living abroad to the extent possible- still, family needs make it difficult at best.

those who are f-ups are going to be that anyway from my experience. if you have your act together, you can easily sustain putting off your 'earning years' and enjoying your life in the most free and enjoyable time- your youth. just follow the golden rule: don't be dumb. ie: don't do something that will jeopardize your future. beyond that, enjoy yourself.

Interesting, so rather than tell the OP to knuckle down for a few years and invest wisely so he can retire young, you are suggesting that he should just be free with his money and life and the universe will take care of it all :D:) .

I busted my arse from a young age & retired young, now Im really wild and all of that & I can afford to be :D

Hey i would like to thank all the guys that have took the time to write some very helpful information you have wrote alot of great stuff .. to the people that think it will stuff up the rest of my life, I have actually took into consideration of my future i went halfs in a apartment when i was 18, It is almost about to be paying its self off in 2 - 3 years i will be making around 3000bht a week off the rent so dont worrie about my future worst come to worst i come back and start working again here .... but maybe some of you are right maybe i am being stupid, i think the smart way around this is to keep saving 3 years time go over by a apartment and live off the money that comes in from the rent of my apartment in sydney, that would be the smart thing to do i guess .. i will need to have a think about it thanks again every one.

i took the 'work hard and salt it away path and i COMPLETELY REGRET IT. my carefree years were spent working 70 hour weeks and never going on holiday (couldn't be 'irresponsible' and blow the $ i was saving for the future). pissed away a lot of my best years, imo.

There is a lot of wisdom in what your saying.

I grew up in the tropics . As a kid I would sit & watch as tourist speed around on buses looking out the window at the paradise that they could not swim or hike ....not really anyway. I always wondered why they waited till they were 65 to come & enjoy. Now that they came all they could do was look from an air conditioned bus for the most part.

I am not saying we do not need to work hard but we do need to smell the roses all along the way through life.

There is no guarantee of making it to 65 in the first place.

I literally had friends who worked hard & constantly told me your crazy for not saving more & how can you go to Las Vegas & blow that cash now etc etc.

Sadly some of them died in their 40's some of accidents in cars & some from cancer.

So again I am not saying do not work hard & at times I do admire guys with pensions but....I still have another decade + to work & doing fine.

I have been self employed all my life and through lack of work at times had many vacations.. :):D:D

But I am doing fine & glad it all went as it did.

So yes I agree with what your saying 100%

Work to live not the other way around

Good Luck to you seanross87 too

Edited by flying