Marriage Visa Or Retirement Visa

I've searched the forum history but I'm still confused.

I'm 65, UK citizen, married to Thai wife 30 years plus.currently in-Kingdom on a 1year Multiple 'O' visa and intending to request extension to 12 months at BKK Office.

I'm retired, can meet the cash in bank requirement also have pension available.

Q1 - Presumably, with adequate funds in bank, bank letter & passbook I don't need 'pension proof' from UK Consulate BKK

Q2 - Should I be going for a 'marriage visa' or a 'retirement visa'

The former is cheaper at 400K (to support 2 people!) and the latter 800k to support 1 person?

Q3 - Going for a 'marriage visa' does not require letter from UK Consulate stating that I want to retire into LOS?

Q4 - What are the advantages/disadvantages of the two different visa applications?

Q5 - Which gate, floor, desk area at Soi Suan Phlu Immigration Office BKK? It's my first visit.

Peter

1. Pension letter is not required for support Thai wife extension. Not sure about long stay (retirement) extension. (assuming money in the bank)

2. Up to you. :o The support wife is lower because you have a valid reason to want to live here rather than a desire. Has nothing to do with supporting two or one.

3. No and was not aware long stay for retirement required any such letter.

4. Support Thai wife can work, lower bank/income requirements, physical not required. Long stay for retirement wife not required, extension may be issued same day rather than 6 week wait.

5. Walk in turn left/right and get form, fill out, pay 1,900 baht fee, wait, directed to office in rear directly in front of entry doors, go to desks at right end take number or sit down if nobody waiting, have interview (with wife if marriage) and hand in required paperwork. This should be done during last 30 days of a 90 day entry.

1.  Pension letter is not required for support Thai wife extension.  Not sure about long stay (retirement) extension. (assuming money in the bank)

2.  Up to you. :o  The support wife is lower because you have a valid reason to want to live here rather than a desire.  Has nothing to do with supporting two or one.

3.  No and was not aware long stay for retirement required any such letter.

4.  Support Thai wife can work, lower bank/income requirements, physical not required.  Long stay for retirement wife not required, extension may be issued same day rather than 6 week wait.

5.  Walk in turn left/right and get form, fill out, pay 1,900 baht fee, wait, directed to office in rear directly in front of entry doors, go to desks at right end take number or sit down if nobody waiting, have interview (with wife if marriage) and hand in required paperwork.  This should be done during last 30 days of a 90 day entry.

Lopburi

You seem to have experience about this.

Do you think I could change from retirement to support Thai wife visa. You say having a valid reason to live here and has nothing to do with supporting two or one. I always show up at immigration with my wife for renewal of my retirement visa. They told me because I am 57 years I should stick to the retirement visa, but they did not give any reason.

1.  Pension letter is not required for support Thai wife extension.  Not sure about long stay (retirement) extension. (assuming money in the bank)

2.  Up to you. :o  The support wife is lower because you have a valid reason to want to live here rather than a desire.  Has nothing to do with supporting two or one.

4.  Support Thai wife can work, lower bank/income requirements, physical not required.  Long stay for retirement wife not required, extension may be issued same day rather than 6 week wait.

5.  Walk in turn left/right and get form, fill out, pay 1,900 baht fee, wait, directed to office in rear directly in front of entry doors, go to desks at right end take number or sit down if nobody waiting, have interview (with wife if marriage) and hand in required paperwork.  This should be done during last 30 days of a 90 day entry.

Lopburi

Do you think I could change from retirement to support Thai wife visa. You say having a valid reason to live here and has nothing to do with supporting two or one. I always show up at immigration with my wife for renewal of my retirement visa. They told me because I am 57 years I should stick to the retirement visa, but they did not give any reason.

I suspect it is easier for immigration as they do not have to investigate relationships. They originally got out paperwork for retirement when I started at age 58 or so and I just mentioned support and they said no problem and did the marriage type so I am sure they can do it. You should be prepared with photos together the first time and have wife bring home register as well as ID card.

Out of curiousity, does anyone have knowledge of how extensions of stay have been impacted by life-changing events, like your Thai wife dies and your extension is based on her support? If you weren't yet aged 50, or couldn't meet the health or financial requirements for a retirement extension, what happens?

I would feel fairly confident Thai Immigration would show flexibility -- but does anyone have any knowledge other than a gut feeling?

Just wondering, as this *might* influence rationale for getting a retirement vs. support extension up-front if eligible for both. Yes, you could switch when you become a widower -- but by then maybe the requirement is 1.6 million in the bank, unless you were earlier in the category and thus grandfathered.......

2.  Up to you. :D   The support wife is lower because you have a valid reason to want to live here rather than a desire.  Has nothing to do with supporting two or one.

Lopburi

I suspect it is easier for immigration as they do not have to investigate relationships. They originally got out paperwork for retirement when I started at age 58 or so and I just mentioned support and they said no problem and did the marriage type so I am sure they can do it. You should be prepared with photos together the first time and have wife bring home register as well as ID card.

Lopburi

Thanks a lot for your very valuable reply :D . Next time I will do as you suggest. In fact the very first time I went to Immigration in Bangkok my wife showed all the documents as suggested by the Thai consulate in Europe: home register, ID card , Marriage certificate translated by Thai Consulate

Because I had much more than 800k Bt on my Thai bank account at the time of application, the immigration officer smiled :o , said you have enough money and stamped retirement in my passport.

Thanks again