Moving Back To Thailand

ttthailand

I lived in Thailand for 13 years. After shutting down a business and loosing my visa I basically had to leave due to the changed visa laws. I have since turned 50 ( one year ago) and was thinking about coming back. I have a gf ( 12 years) I take care of and would make things easier. She comes to visit me and I visit her. Home is in the Buriram area. I am a little pissed that I had to leave in the first place and think that if it happened once it could happen again. I hate to invest in my future if someday I can't take advantage of it.You never know about LOS.

What do you think ?

Why didn't you just get a one year 'O' visa. Anyone can get these from a consulate in England, even if you're not from England. You can only stay for 90 days at a time but there are no limits on the number of entries in a year.

Why didn't you just get a one year 'O' visa. Anyone can get these from a consulate in England, even if you're not from England. You can only stay for 90 days at a time but there are no limits on the number of entries in a year.

I know my visa options. but my real question is: Do I want to move back to Thailand and start putting all my energy back into building a life here when it could be taken away again. The last time I had everything I owned here and I could not enter the country as there was no visa I could get to do so. I had to return to my home country and stay with my Brother. I was basically homeless even though I had land , truck, house etc etc in Thailand. I was not able to come home... it was a very confusing time in my life.

I know my visa options. but my real question is: Do I want to move back to Thailand and start putting all my energy back into building a life here when it could be taken away again. The last time I had everything I owned here and I could not enter the country as there was no visa I could get to do so. I had to return to my home country and stay with my Brother. I was basically homeless even though I had land , truck, house etc etc in Thailand. I was not able to come home... it was a very confusing time in my life.

There's a well know expression here "never invest more than you can afford to loose". If you can live with this rule, then come back.

How can the OP with that piece of info expect to get an serious answer???

And why is the OP posting this in the first place? He is not taking advice in this thread for that seriously to direct his future life on that...hopefully!

:)

And why is the OP posting this in the first place? He is not taking advice in this thread for that seriously to direct his future life on that...hopefully!

:)

It could be that he's just hoping that some TV input will help him make up his mind.

But I'd say he's decided and he's coming back regardless.

regards Bojo

It could be that he's just hoping that some TV input will help him make up his mind.

regards Bojo

Bojo,

You are correct in one area, I am trying to decide and a little input can always help. Believe me, I am not sure of which way to go. After the Thai visa experiance I am not sure I want to chance it happening again. Laws and rules can chnage over night. I have been living back in the west and it is an easy life. Prices may be higher but I can work without a permit, no visa requirements, no checking in with the gov., things get done when you want and how you want, few ripoff, can buy and sell your land or house,the police work to protect not get over, etc etc... Thailand has many problems but there is still something the draws me. So my question ( changed slightly) still stands, if you were living back in your country would you make the move and start to reinvest knowing that someday they could tell you to hit the road and be left with nothing.

I have heard the line"don't invest anything you can't stand to loose". and agree with it.

:D

dont worry be happy :)

I was not able to come home...
<deleted>. You could have easily asked for a tourist visa in Vientiane or PP.

Either you are a troll, or you used the visa shake up as an excuse to damp your money sucking girlfriend.

Wrong on both accounts. Not a troll and I still have my Thai gf. She visits me around the world and I visit her in Thailand. I just can't make the move to return for good.

Is there anyone who had to make the move like I did and am now thinking of returning ? Know anyone who has ?

A friend lived here for some time, however, due to the downturn in tourism he was laid off returning to the UK. He visited family and friends, worked as a cabbie, however, the draw of Thailand pulled and he has returned, but on a semi-permanent basis until world economies brighten up. He's got an 'O' Visa, but reckons on spending 3 months ( the low season in the LOS) in the UK.

That I feel is a reasonable strategy, you never fully explained what happened to your possessions in the LOS. I would be interested to know..?? :)

A friend lived here for some time, however, due to the downturn in tourism he was laid off returning to the UK. He visited family and friends, worked as a cabbie, however, the draw of Thailand pulled and he has returned, but on a semi-permanent basis until world economies brighten up. He's got an 'O' Visa, but reckons on spending 3 months ( the low season in the LOS) in the UK.

That I feel is a reasonable strategy, you never fully explained what happened to your possessions in the LOS. I would be interested to know..?? :)

I still have my gf in Thailand. She ( with my or should I say our money) still has land and house etc. I sold the truck as the family was taking advantage. If I move back full time I will need to get another truck, get out of my current apartment quite job, finish insurance, perhaps sell my current truck ( not in Thailand) etc etc.... many things to do and stop if I return full time. I a don't live out of a suitcase like some Thaivisa members.

:D

Yup....I have found that often times ...

Most people come here,...not really asking for advices, but "actually" the validations of what they are about to do. :)

Since everyone has a different experience the advice would be all over the map. Figure out what you like about Thailand and if what you like is more positive than the negatives come back.

Always remember there are no gurantees in life no matter were you are. piss your neighbor off and he maybe suing you over nothing making your life miserable. This is happening to a friensd as I speak he is out about 20 thousand dollars defending his ability to build a house.

Dude.... you crashed and burned the first time. Why put yourself through it again?

"""I sold the truck as the family was taking advantage."""

Are you sure this wasnt the reason you left the first time and had to live with your brother?

If i were you, I would stay where you are in the west, rebuild yourself financially, and keep having your gf come visit you.

Crashing and burning a second time might not be as easy to recover from as the first time it happened to you. (Unless your name is Donald Trump)

Edited by rideswings

The main reason you left is because of financial problems. Is your financial situation any different now? With no pension, you would need a VERY large nest egg to live out the rest of your life here. Being broke in Thailand is no fun. Being old and broke is worse.

I agree with Gary A, it is all about money. If you have enough to live on in the lifestyle that will make you happy and still save 10% a year chances are you will be OK. However if you don't have the funds to support your lifestyle long term, forget it you will not be happy here.

It is all about $$

i guess you shutdown the business because it failed and no one wanted to buy into a failed business...right?

then because you had no capacity to validate a investment visa.....you lost that too.....so far so good........right?

so now you come back on a tourist visa & start again......right?