Robbed In Suvarnabhumi

Now before I tell the story I will first tell you all that I travel very frequently and have never been robbed pick pocketed or scammed anywhere in the world. Unfortunately on this occasion I had been on an all night flight and had a few hours to kill in BKK airport before my connection. Obviously I was a little tired and my guard was a little relaxed.

Anyway, I had just taken a little cash from the ATM (just 2 or 3,000 Baht) and put my wallet back in my bag before going to S&P for a spot of breakfast, placing my bag right next to me in plain sight. The next I knew an old guy attracted my attention and pointed out to me that my wallet was on the floor! Grateful to the old guy I picked it up and noticed that it was completely devoid of cash, not only the Baht but a few dollars, pounds and bits and bobs of various other currencies. Fortunately all my credit cards etc were still present.

I know 100% that this was my own fault for letting my guard down and not securing my wallet better, but the point is that these guys must have already scoped out the tired looking guy with his guard down who had just visited an ATM. They were also pretty good to have unzipped my bag at some point to remove my wallet without me noticing. I am not angry with these guys as the cash was a relatively small amount and they found some way to actually return my wallet with the cards intact. I am angry with my self for being stupid, it could have been far worse.

Beware, there are always lots of people milling around in the airport (especially the level with all the restaurants) who look like they don't really have a genuine reason to be there.

sorry I got lost....you put your wallet in the bag, put the bag next to you while u eat, then an old guy points out your wallet is on the floor? either your bag got pilfered by gnomes or something is missing from your story bro

sorry I got lost....you put your wallet in the bag, put the bag next to you while u eat, then an old guy points out your wallet is on the floor? either your bag got pilfered by gnomes or something is missing from your story bro

Exactly! I can only assume that some light fingered git somehow got into my bag between the ATM and S&P, then the honest thief followed me into said eatery and threw my wallet down on the floor next to me (sans cash). This is conjecture on my part, unless you are right about the gnomes.

Now you know what pockets are for...always carry money/cards etc in front jeans/trouser pocket....never where shorts etc without pockets if travelling, come on, you have passport/tickets/cash and cards, would think even a ten year old would have the intelligence to keep those items on ones body

So do I... was two or three thousands that you have just taken, at the ATM; and don't even remember the amount!?!

Now you know what pockets are for...always carry money/cards etc in front jeans/trouser pocket....never where shorts etc without pockets if travelling, come on, you have passport/tickets/cash and cards, would think even a ten year old would have the intelligence to keep those items on ones body

He already said he was tired and he let his guard down,why are you rubbing his nose in the crap now.This board can have some realy insensitive posters and dont even read the posts first before trying to come back with a clever answer.

The guy was lucky that he didnt have to cancell his cards so not much harm done,and he also said thats the first time he has been robbed.

The guy was lucky that he didnt have to cancell his cards so not much harm done

Really? You wouldn't cancel your cards after thieves had access to them, ATM cards, drivers license, business cards, and other ID's?

Appears to me that they gave him the wallet back so he wouldn't cancel anything. IMO that would be a HUGE mistake.

He already said he was tired and he let his guard down,why are you rubbing his nose in the crap now.This board can have some realy insensitive posters and dont even read the posts first before trying to come back with a clever answer.

The guy was lucky that he didnt have to cancell his cards so not much harm done,and he also said thats the first time he has been robbed.

Surely a seasoned traveller as the OP states he is, would never put a wallet in a bag..no matter how much your guard is down...maybe you didnt read the post correctly befor commenting

Not safe in China. Front pocket-one block from buying a bun and gone. Up side-I had my hotel card in my front of the wallet and a well dressed man called me the next day on his mobile to say he found when he parked his Benz. Everything there but the money. I was happy to get the wallet back a real Coach wallet, $200 US, a gift. I had cxled the Credit cards. My wife's wallet had been lifted from her back pack a few days before. She reported it to the police who found that notion novel and funny.

I am sure China would take the pickpocket Gold at the Olympics-silver going to Columba. Any suggestions for the bronze?

The guy was lucky that he didnt have to cancell his cards so not much harm done

Really? You wouldn't cancel your cards after thieves had access to them, ATM cards, drivers license, business cards, and other ID's?

Appears to me that they gave him the wallet back so he wouldn't cancel anything. IMO that would be a HUGE mistake.

Sounds about right, if they had a 'skimmer' device they could have made copies of the cards.

Get in the habit of putting your wallet in your front pocket. Almost impossible to get pickpocketed and not know it.

OK for some but when I have 12 hours to sit on a plane I usually take all the stuff out of my pockets and put it into my hand-luggage. Much more comfortable when you have a thick wad like me!

Exactly! I can only assume that some light fingered git somehow got into my bag between the ATM and S&P, then the honest thief followed me into said eatery and threw my wallet down on the floor next to me (sans cash). This is conjecture on my part, unless you are right about the gnomes.

I don't think I've ever heard the term "honest thief" before. Seems like a bit of a contradiction in terms. LOL

Why would anybody who was involved in robbing you take the chance of getting caught by following you to where you're eating and give you back your wallet by throwing it on the floor?

I had a small bag with a plane ticket and some Amex checks "disappear" at an xray machine in Don Muang a few years back. Fortunately the ticket got replaced for $75cdn and Amex couldn't have been more helpful in replacing the checks. :)

I doubt he'd risk walking around with your wallet and attracting your attention by throwing it at your feet.

After a number of attempts by pick pockets to lift my wallet from my rear pocket, I have gotten used to carrying it in my front pocket. No problems since. I did lose a phone that was attached to my belt and now also carry my phone in a front pocket.

I don't think I've ever heard the term "honest thief" before. Seems like a bit of a contradiction in terms. LOL

Why would anybody who was involved in robbing you take the chance of getting caught by following you to where you're eating and give you back your wallet by throwing it on the floor?

You are asking me? I don't know. As I said, what actually happened is purely guesswork, all I know is the wallet was on the floor with the cash gone. By the way, I continuously monitor my credit cards with internet banking so I can quickly pick up any fraud. In this case there was none.

Thanks for the warning.

Is it a sign of the economic times? I witnessed a wallet theft two days ago. Then told of another three handbag thefts; all at NZ main city library. One thief spent $500 via credit card almost immediately.

Edited by Petbon

Now before I tell the story I will first tell you all that I travel very frequently and have never been robbed pick pocketed or scammed anywhere in the world. Unfortunately on this occasion I had been on an all night flight and had a few hours to kill in BKK airport before my connection. Obviously I was a little tired and my guard was a little relaxed.

Anyway, I had just taken a little cash from the ATM (just 2 or 3,000 Baht) and put my wallet back in my bag before going to S&P for a spot of breakfast, placing my bag right next to me in plain sight. The next I knew an old guy attracted my attention and pointed out to me that my wallet was on the floor! Grateful to the old guy I picked it up and noticed that it was completely devoid of cash, not only the Baht but a few dollars, pounds and bits and bobs of various other currencies. Fortunately all my credit cards etc were still present.

I know 100% that this was my own fault for letting my guard down and not securing my wallet better, but the point is that these guys must have already scoped out the tired looking guy with his guard down who had just visited an ATM. They were also pretty good to have unzipped my bag at some point to remove my wallet without me noticing. I am not angry with these guys as the cash was a relatively small amount and they found some way to actually return my wallet with the cards intact. I am angry with my self for being stupid, it could have been far worse.

Beware, there are always lots of people milling around in the airport (especially the level with all the restaurants) who look like they don't really have a genuine reason to be there.

I assume that you were in transit " Airside " Yes ?----must have been staff or passengers on the make then--- ????

Bucko

Edited by Bucko

I have a special travel wallet to prevent occurrences like this. It's thin and acrylic with a loop on it that the belt passes through. It actually hangs inside my trousers rather than being in a pocket.

Seems something is missing from this story. You went to the ATM, got your money, put the money in your wallet, put your wallet in your bag, went to the S&P, ordered food, sat down, then was notified your wallet was on the floor next to your bag. It's not clear when you put your bag on the floor, before or after ordering your food, and also not clear how did you pay for your food if your wallet was in your bag. Assuming it's pay first, wouldn't you have taken your wallet out of your bag to pay for the food? If so, being you were tired, perhaps you didn't put your wallet back in your bag but inadvertently left it out, or maybe even left it on the counter? Someone sees it in the open, quickly removes the cash and drops it as you're staring at your food. If you're as tired as you sounded to be, your mind and memory was probably not very good. Having your money taken on the way from the ATM to the S&P would have been impossible if you had to prepay at the S&P.

Get in the habit of putting your wallet in your front pocket. Almost impossible to get pickpocketed and not know it.

Really?

Want to bet?

I was pickpocketed on a little green bus in China Town BKK a few months back. I had just picked up my housing from the school (B5000), and it was in my wallet in my front pocket of my work trousers - and they were quite tight trousers too.

I sat at the back of the bus where there was two ordinary looking Thai people - the one I sat next to had a labtop bag on his lap, as I also did.

When I got off at my stop I took out my wallet to go to the bank, and the five 1000 baht notes were almost all the way out of my wallet. If I'd have been on the bus for one more stop, I think I would've been relieved of that B5000.

There are some very highly skilled pickpockets in and around BKK so be careful!

Edited by bkkdawg

Sorry, but story sounds a bit fishy. 2 or 3000 baht? Don't you remember how much you withdrew? But, ignoring the fact that this may be fictional story, putting money and wallets in bad places is nutty. Front pocket or back pocket without having button down pockets is just bad. Front is better. Best is the good old fashioned fanny pack. With the pack right in front of you and under your belly or just a tad to the side, it is literally impossible for a hand to get in there, especially if the ties or zippers overlap in some way (as mine do), making it impossible to open in a few seconds.

Yes, the pros and thiefs are around and watching for the slightest slip up and do move very quickly. They watch the pay phones, and the ATMS like hawks. next time you are there, stand back a bit, and watch as somebody withdraws money from an ATM or Excange teller. Stand back quite a bit and look around at the crowd. You will probably notice somebody's attention going to the cash. Much like firemen and police men responding to fires often pan the crowd, looking to see how people are reacting.

Fanny/hip pack.

Its a sad state of affairs that many of the posts here seem to be to suggest this is a fake story, or the OP is careless with his security. Have we all got that cynical or so 'clever' this wont happen to us durng an unguarded moment!!!

I always, I mean ALWAYS wear a 'bum' bag - but at the front. Its a bit cumbersome when out shopping etc... but I know its very secure and near a part of my body very dear to me that is looked after very well!!!!

Sure the belt could be cut off from behind... still I have not come up with a better method yet.

I have a special travel wallet to prevent occurrences like this. It's thin and acrylic with a loop on it that the belt passes through. It actually hangs inside my trousers rather than being in a pocket.

Yeah. These are a great idea. I've been using one of the cloth pouches with a loop for years. I keep my plastic cards and ID and main cash in it. When I travel, it's large enough to take my passport as well, all safely sealed in a ziplok bag.

The pouch hangs inside the trousers, in the front groin area. Totally invisible. I also carry a cheap wallet with just the day's spending money, in my back pocket. the pickpockets and muggers are welcome to that.