Uk Minister: We’re Not Your Father, Mother Or Auntie

george

And who the hel_l cares about Samantha Orobator and John Watson, the two British prisoners in jail in Laos.

Let them rot in Laos where they committed their crimes instead of bringing them back to Britain to serve time in a British 5 star jail at the expense of the taxpayers.

Perhaps the UK Foreign Office Minister Chris Bryant would care to join them in Laos where real justice is administered, to serve time for his expenses scams.

This is what amazes me, that the British government is willing to help UK criminals abroad, but considers it's law abiding decent honest citizens as unworthy of any aid if they require assistance while in a foreign land.

Who says, crime doesn't pay?

I don't think there's a great deal of evidence that the British government helps UK criminals abroad ( or the innocent for that matter)

The Thai police have agreed to refund the "fine" paid by Ingram for example but only if in the presence of an embassy official!!! The officials have declined to be present. It is not clear whether that is before or after Bryant got involved. Did Bryant try to authorise their presenvce or not. As minister he has that power .

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, they're not your father, mother or auntie. They're your pickpocket. They steal money out of your pocket and then spend it on lectures telling you how they think you ought to behave. My advice to them is to SIT ON THIS! :)

:D

Spot on, nothing worse than a hypocrite, and Bryant is one of the biggest. I wonder how many Soi Cowboy check bins will be on his expenses for this trip? :D

He said that while the Government, “will provide support to those who least deserve it like drug traffickers in Laos" the 800,000 Brits who visit Thailand each year, “should always respect the fact that Friday afternoon is time for a round of golf and drinkies at the 19th hole for Embassy staff therefore try not to get arrested at that time because rather than receiving consular assistance for your predicament you'll be fighting off a gang of Nigerian con artists in an Immigration Detention Centre cell who want to make you their bitch”.

Refreshing honesty from the minister. Bravo.

I don't think people are asking for the embassy to act like a nanny to them, what British taxpayers should at least get it a service that offers assistance when required. The embassy in Bangkok has a poor reputation the way that it seals with it's citizens, and is often appears to be very passive when it comes to raising any concerns with Thai authorities.

I think that people misunderstand the role of their Embassy. People who travel are expected to have the good sense to take enough money, exercise due care, comply with the law, and insure themselves against misfortune. It's all there in the informaation leaflet that you get with your passport.

More than most, the British Embassy in Bangkok is inundated with people who through sheer carelessness, stupidity, or lack of planning expect to be bailed out and carted home courtesy of the public purse. Sometimes this is simply because they have spent up and are flat broke. Others break the law, and then expect the Embassy to intervene when it has no power to do so, and is in any case reluctant to create a diplomatic incident for such little purpose as trying to get one or another drug dealer off the hook.

The Embassy will help those who really do need it, in a very limited and delayed way, only once all other avenues of assistance have been exhausted. People should bear this in mind before leaving home.

I don't think people are asking for the embassy to act like a nanny to them, what British taxpayers should at least get it a service that offers assistance when required. The embassy in Bangkok has a poor reputation the way that it seals with it's citizens, and is often appears to be very passive when it comes to raising any concerns with Thai authorities.

I think that people misunderstand the role of their Embassy. People who travel are expected to have the good sense to take enough money, exercise due care, comply with the law, and insure themselves against misfortune. It's all there in the informaation leaflet that you get with your passport.

More than most, the British Embassy in Bangkok is inundated with people who through sheer carelessness, stupidity, or lack of planning expect to be bailed out and carted home courtesy of the public purse. Sometimes this is simply because they have spent up and are flat broke. Others break the law, and then expect the Embassy to intervene when it has no power to do so, and is in any case reluctant to create a diplomatic incident for such little purpose as trying to get one or another drug dealer off the hook.

The Embassy will help those who really do need it, in a very limited and delayed way, only once all other avenues of assistance have been exhausted. People should bear this in mind before leaving home.

I think that you have very much misunderstood what I have written, I for one don't expect the embassy to bail people out of shit that they have caused themselves.

Wonder if he went into the King Power Duty Free shop at the airport, on his way out...

It'd be a giggle if he did and ended up in some motel with an Asian guy telling him it'd be sorted out for 400k baht. I bet the British Embassy's policy of "not interfering in the Thai legal system" would go straight out of the window. :)

I think that you have very much misunderstood what I have written, I for one don't expect the embassy to bail people out of shit that they have caused themselves.

I agree with you Mr Toad

Dbreen ignores the recent incident where the police were prepared to refund ingram gbp8000 " the fine" but only if the embassy witnessed it. the embassy would not . the minister raised the issue but should have instructed the embassy to attend. they only had to witness the handover.

This little gem from WIKIPEDIA

"Controversy over private life

Bryant is openly gay, but he was ridiculed by the press in 2003 when he was discovered to have solicited anonymous sex and posed wearing only underpants on a gay dating site, Gaydar, whilst an MP.[4][5][6]

On 25 September 2006 The Guardian newspaper ran four spoof diary articles called "Chris Bryant's Manchester Diary", which did not make it clear that they were spoofs; Bryant called in his solicitors to get an apology,[7] but not before other media outlets had commented under the impression that they were genuine.[8]"

No comment. :)

Here he is

post-31474-1249405165_thumb.jpg

It's just embarrassing... :)

To think that this idiot represents us? A thief to boot? Jesus wept.

I totally agree with the poster above who described the Embassy as being little more than a business, that is exactly what the FCO has become on a Consular level.

This situation is other countries should stand harder against Thailand, so it will know it's doing no good. But offcourse the political background games won't let this happen, they all need Thailand for it's services and low cost labour. Like this mommy boy, who came to Thailand, to nod his head.

Edited by Datsun240Z

I would wonder about the mental stability of anyone who had some kind of life changing event that convinced them the change from being a conservative throughout their youth to becoming a "New" Labourite.

Reading his wikepedia entry makes me understand full well why the UK is in the mess it is in. It is good to see that the people of Rhondda have such an upstanding person representing them. He appears to have nothing in common with them whatsoever. Fortunately at the next election, if he doesn't hold his seat, he can always have another epiphany and change parties since he is likely to be sitting in opposition with the other 20 labour mps who are going to hold their seats.

That is, if you get caught stealing red-handed in LOS and lose a bit of money in lieu of being incarcerated for a year - don't go pleading and crying to your government back home, like a big spoilt rat.

Can you explain your post - after you have reviewed the thread and looked at the facts.

The police had agreed to refund the "fine"

The Thai ambassador was involved and, I believe but am not sure , was confronted with the video and the KP letter. Neither now has credibility.

The Ingrums did not plead guilty and were never tried.

I suspect something will be arranged regarding the "fine" though we may not know anything about it. Face must be saved.

Just as a term of reference, Prez Clinton visits NK and secures the release of the two female US journalists who were jailed for 20 years each. Whose your Daddy now?!

Nice job Boss.

BR>Jack

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8184583.stm

Who is going to save them from Bill? :):D

Edited by ParadiseLost

That is, if you get caught stealing red-handed in LOS and lose a bit of money in lieu of being incarcerated for a year - don't go pleading and crying to your government back home, like a big spoilt rat.

Thai apologist. :)

Speaking of "facts":

Can you explain your post - after you have reviewed the thread and looked at the facts.

The police had agreed to refund the "fine" what I have read talks about the bail money.

The Thai ambassador was involved and, I believe but am not sure , was confronted with the video and the KP letter. Neither now has credibility. How so?

The Ingrums did not plead guilty and were never tried. Correct - they paid monies to certain people to obtain documents which would ensure they'd not have to go trial, and thereby establish their guilt or otherwise.

I suspect something will be arranged regarding the "fine" though we may not know anything about it. Face must be saved.

Speaking of "facts":

The police had agreed to refund the "fine" what I have read talks about the bail money.

The Thai ambassador was involved and, I believe but am not sure , was confronted with the video and the KP letter. Neither now has credibility. How so?

The Ingrums did not plead guilty and were never tried. Correct - they paid monies to certain people to obtain documents which would ensure they'd not have to go trial, and thereby establish their guilt or otherwise.

Do try to keep up.

No bail was posted. Bank to bank transaction to a private account. And yes that did establish guilt but not on the Ingrams.!n This is the problem. That transaction was made from the UK and can't be made to disappear

The Thai police had agreed to fund the money I posted "fine" in inverted commas because that is what it effectively was.

The minister raised the issue but - ball-less as he is - did not instruct the embassy to follow through.

The video does not show a theft, however suspicious it is made to look

Both the video and letter were released after he left the kingdom with a police report showingh no guilt. Whatever you may think of that no thai court could then convict could it?

It will be sorted the thai way with no loss of face.

Speaking of "facts":

Do try to keep up.

No bail was posted And you know this how?. Bank to bank transaction to a private account. And yes that did establish guilt but not on the Ingrams.!n This is the problem. That transaction was made from the UK and can't be made to disappear

The Thai police had agreed to fund the money I have only read about the Thai ambassador in the UK talking about refunding bail money. Can you point to where the Thai police have said otherwise? I posted "fine" in inverted commas because that is what it effectively was. I noted your use of inverted commas. That doesn't change what actually happened

The minister raised the issue but - ball-less as he is - did not instruct the embassy to follow through.

The video does not show a theft, however suspicious it is made to look You are right - looked very suspicious to me (amongst many others)

Both the video and letter were released after he left the kingdom with a police report showingh no guilt You get what you pay for. Whatever you may think of that no thai court could then convict could it?

It will be sorted the thai way with no loss of face. Face and guilt are totally different issues

If the Ingrams are shown to be innocent, I am happy to admit I am wrong. To date, everything I have seen places them on the doubtful side of innocent.

Thai apologist. :)

Guess someone has to be..... :D