Beef Suet Dumplings

Maejo Man

Got the hungries the other day for some suet dumplings to go in a casserole, but my suet supplier has disappeared, and I can't seem to find a new supplier. Anybody have an "in" for good beef suet? :)

Admittedly not quite the same without real suet, but this recipe is an excellent alternative. Real easy and quick:

http://dinner-recipes.suite101.com/article.cfm/dumplings

Got the hungries the other day for some suet dumplings to go in a casserole, but my suet supplier has disappeared, and I can't seem to find a new supplier. Anybody have an "in" for good beef suet? :)

I had ,some time ago replied to a similar post.....buy some very fatty brisket....cut off the fat...freeze it,and then grate it and mix with some flour to keep the grains separate....keep in the fridge.

You can then pickle the brisket meat and make your own salt beef.

Here is a suet receipe that seems easy enough. I remember my wife and all the relatives rendering the pork fat for cooking oil not that long ago (or so it seems). I only mention this to add that they didn't grind it up, just chopped it into chunks, not finely chopped. And step 2 was easy and straight forward. Step 5 is interesting.

1. Grind the beef fat with a meat grinder or finely chop the fat.
  2. Heat the fat over a low to medium flame until its liquefied.
  3. Strain by pouring melted suet through a fine cheesecloth.
  4. Let cool to harden.
  5. Repeat steps 2-3. If the fat is not rendered twice, the suet will not cake properly.
  6. Let cool to harden and store in a covered container in the freezer.