Majority Of Thais Recognize Shinawatra Era Corruption

george

Majority of Thais recognize Shinawatra era corruption

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- A real-time poll conducted last Saturday by the Assumption Business Administration College (ABAC) of Assumption University has found that the vast majority of Thais are well aware of the corruption of the Shinawatra administration.

The poll was conducted among people 18-years-old and above in 18 provinces covering 1,484 households and set out to gauge people’s perceptions of the current administration of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Noppadon Kannikar, director of the ABAC Poll Research Office, the survey found that 78.8 percent of people recognized corruption in the Shinawatra administration compared to 65.8 percent who claimed there is corruption in the present administration.

The poll also found that 77.3 percent of respondents felt the disgraced former prime minister should petition for a royal pardon on his own, with 51.7 percent unhappy with the United Front for Democracy’s (UDDs) public petition campaign.

When asked to rate the current political situation, 73.4 percent of respondents said they felt the current political situation had not improved or was worse than at the beginning of the year, while 60.6 percent felt the economy had either not improved or had worsened over the same time period.

When questioned on the level of unity between Thai people, 71.6 percent said they felt the situation had not improved or worsened since the the current government took office at the start of the year.

ABAC was established in 1997 and its real-time polls are conducted over a three-hour time period and includes a probability factor intended to refer to the representativeness of the nationwide population.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2009-08-03

Much effort and manipulation of information must be created in order to "silence opposition to the way things have traditionally been run in Thailand"[/i]

Newspaper articles such as above, have a timely nature seeking to discredit the opposition. This opposition sponsored Petition has really called forth creative ways to attempt to discredit it.

An increasing number of major figures who are part of this opposition are either in jail, facing jail or fled Thailand"

"There is consistent pressure such as above, on everyone whose opinions differ from those of the fundamental traditional hardliners".

"When the leadership saw that this opposition was beginning to snowball, they began to fight back", with both a military coup and as the pro-democracy Red Shirts say, a judicial coup. ""They have also fought back with legitimate and illegitimate means. 16,000 websites have been closed or blocked."

These are quotes unattributed unless the author wishes. I acknowledge the insight provided by these quotes but do not credit myself with the succinctness of their focus.

Edited by Ferwert

Much effort and manipulation of information must be created in order to "silence opposition to the way things have traditionally been run in Thailand"

Newspaper articles such as above, have a timely nature seeking to discredit the opposition. This opposition sponsored Petition has really called forth creative ways to attempt to discredit it.

An increasing number of major figures who are part of this opposition are either in jail, facing jail or fled Thailand"

"There is consistent pressure such as above, on everyone whose opinions differ from those of the fundamental traditional hardliners".

"When the leadership saw that this opposition was beginning to snowball, they began to fight back", with both a military coup and as the RS say, a judicial coup. ""They have also fought back with legitimate and illegitimate means. 16,000 websites have been closed or blocked."

These are quotes unattributed unless the author wishes. I acknowledge the insight provided by these quotes but do not credit myself with the succinctness of their focus.

"Don't shoot the messenger. Don't blame the person who brings bad news".

expressed by Sophocles

442 B.C.

The bangkok post poll had last time I checked 250,000 people voting and 86% were  "yes"  allow the petition, but today the poll page seems to be hacked and only allows a person to vote no and results where removed.   I can't get the page back up like it was.

Strange these result should come out at the same time

edit its fixed it came back up 490,000 vote yes for petition 91.4 percent.

Edited by RKASA

The bangkok post poll had last time I checked 250,000 people voting and 86% were  "yes"  allow the petition, but today the poll page seems to be hacked and only allows a person to vote no and results where removed.   I can't get the page back up like it was.

The targetting and freeping of online polls by political groups and/or hired PR firms is a common political practice (targetting of forum is another one). I wouldnt give too much credence to any online poll. Thaksin certainly has an excellent PR team and it would indeed be surprising if they had overlooked this common and easy tactic. It is almost certain that the Thai government which is utterly inept at PR games would have overlooked it.

Edit  sorry typo 390,000 not 490,000

You may realize the Bangkok Post voting system has a big flaw....

You can vote as much as you like! You are not IP blocked if someone votes a second time from the same source...

I voted 3 times in a row for YES and my vote was counted every time! "Thank you for your vote"

Get hundreds of volunteers and have them clicked for a few hours!

Thats how it works!

"He who does not know the truth is only a fool. He who knows the truth and calls it a lie is a criminal

Bertold Brecht

Interesting to watch you shoot your own foot linguistically.

But then again you ARE a Thaksinista, what could I expect.

78.8 percent of people recognized corruption in the Shinawatra administration

Nearly 80% effectiveness in his corruption, amazingly high numbers.

He must have been sooo good at it! Or soooo bad at hiding it.

Oh wait, he thought he owned everything and everybody that mattered,

and didn't BOTHER to hide it.

For me the most significant part of the report is: "When asked to rate the current political situation, 73.4 percent of respondents said they felt the current political situation had not improved or was worse than at the beginning of the year, while 60.6 percent felt the economy had either not improved or had worsened over the same time period.

When questioned on the level of unity between Thai people, 71.6 percent said they felt the situation had not improved or worsened since the the current government took office at the start of the year"

This is a biting slap for Abi. He and his Dems arrived against the will of the population and did nothing to reunite the country [it was possible during the first months]. They only handle hate and aggressiveness. Even against neighbor countries like Cambodia which just asks for peace.

For me the most significant part of the report is: "When asked to rate the current political situation, 73.4 percent of respondents said they felt the current political situation had not improved or was worse than at the beginning of the year, while 60.6 percent felt the economy had either not improved or had worsened over the same time period.

When questioned on the level of unity between Thai people, 71.6 percent said they felt the situation had not improved or worsened since the the current government took office at the start of the year"

This is a biting slap for Abi. He and his Dems arrived against the will of the population and did nothing to reunite the country [it was possible during the first months]. They only handle hate and aggressiveness. Even against neighbor countries like Cambodia which just asks for peace.

And now Burma has nuclear capability - the current government need to change that "71.6 percent said they felt the situation had not improved or worsened "

So what the heck, havash_t has got time to look at 5.6 million signatures, you bet he has!

Edited by njpski

This is a biting slap for Abi.

There is plenty of blame to spread around. Black Songkran, who started that one?

Abi for sure when he seized power against the will of the population.

Fortunately opposition is very reasonable.

"He who does not know the truth is only a fool. He who knows the truth and calls it a lie is a criminal

Bertold Brecht

This quote defines a "fool"...............And then something about a knowledgable one...........Animatic, try those shoes and see if it they fit!.

With enduring love and affection

Your friend Ferwert

Bertold Brecht

This quote defines a "fool"...............And then something about a knowledgable one...........Animatic, try those shoes and see if it they fit!.

With enduring love and affection

Your friend Ferwert

Who's the fool?

Which "truth" are you trying to proclaim?

Dont judge a man by what he say's, but by his actions! - is some other proverb...

Why you Redshirt-Punks-Thaksin PR guys always have to resort to Argumentum ad Hominem, I wonder?

Is it the tactics to cover for the absence of proper arguments or is it the latest news that it's

clear that the Thai people received the gone by Thaksin Administration as corrupt...?

Edited by Samuian

Bertold Brecht

What on earth does that mean.

And you have a problem with people expressing opinions?

I actually support many of your posts, incidentally.

There is plenty of blame to spread around. Black Songkran, who started that one?

You're still very keen on Black Songkran.

52 buses were hijacked and more than 30 has been burnt but no single photo or video shows the faces of those supposely to be the reds. On the day, no report of bus owners was seen. No report of bus drivers how buses were hijacked. Soldiers were in absolute control of BKK. The reds couldn't bring foods to their friends at Government House. After hearing gun shots since 4am, outside reds couldn't go to Government House area to join their friends. But buses were driven into the area easily.

Gas tankers? CNN had video one tanker was parked at Din Daeng early in the morning but no reds were seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUookwKLG5I

Another tanker was parked at Pullman Kingpower Complex but no one was frightened.

2 gas tankers are from 2 companies in 2 provinces but same owners.

Many fake reds were out on Black Songkran making the reds look bad. Many didn't even care to wear red to make it real.

All red tv, radio stations and websites were blocked for many weeks so they couldn't defense themselves.

can anybody give an example about the corruption occur in Thaksin era...

until now there's only known by public about Radjaphisek land scandal.... about tax evasion....??? but.... is't the only scandal having by ex primier thaksin shinawatra...????

just because of that.... whole of thai (prime news) declared him convicted ex primier Thaksin Shinawatra...????

and more sad.... the british government already revoke his passport....

is't fair for him.... is't fair for his past deed... for his country.... for what he has done past 3 years ago...

he ever manage Thailand from 2001 there's about -5 billion USD thai treasury but then before he became ousted 2006 the Thai treasury about 15 billion USD....

and what's noble things.... he always help poor people particularly in isaan and northen thailand....

honestly if i'm a thai.... i'll vote for him and i'll sign a petition to HM king Bhumipol Adulyadej for pardon him...

can anybody give an example about the corruption occur in Thaksin era...

until now there's only known by public about Radjaphisek land scandal.... about tax evasion....??? but.... is't the only scandal having by ex primier thaksin shinawatra...????

just because of that.... whole of thai (prime news) declared him convicted ex primier Thaksin Shinawatra...????

and more sad.... the british government already revoke his passport....

is't fair for him.... is't fair for his past deed... for his country.... for what he has done past 3 years ago...

he ever manage Thailand from 2001 there's about -5 billion USD thai treasury but then before he became ousted 2006 the Thai treasury about 15 billion USD....

and what's noble things.... he always help poor people particularly in isaan and northen thailand....

honestly if i'm a thai.... i'll vote for him and i'll sign a petition to HM king Bhumipol Adulyadej for pardon him...

OK, so let's see.

- rubber sapling

- cow scheme

- airport (various)

- lottery

and the ones I think that are coming include:

-TAT funding

- elite card funding

- 30b healthcare funding

- Ua-athorn housing

- land title issuing

- rice pledging scheme

- TAMC mechanisms

- Telco deregulation interference & AIS Concession

- ITV concession

- land estate highway construction near his wife's SC Asset development on the airport route

THe thing is....as long as he is not in the country, the further charges cannot be filed; he has to be present to hear the charge AFAIK. Surely you understand this is the main reason why he won't come back; he will have to stand trial for a further (IIRC) 17 charges placed against him and others; as long as he stays away, it is just the one and he can claim as much as he wants that they don't have any more on him.

BTW just because someone stole an apple and got convicted, that makes them convicted just as much as someone who has been convicted of 100 murders. Convicted = found guilty in a court of their peers.

Apples and Peers. Who woulda thunk it.

Bertold Brecht

What on earth does that mean.

And you have a problem with people expressing opinions?

I actually support many of your posts, incidentally.

Thank you Caf. Good to hear. Most times I think I'm p...... into the wind.

What does Brecht's quote mean?

What it meant to me was that research purporting to show anti-Thaksin sentiments exceeding pro-Thaksin sentiments under whatever guise, is scurrilous.

The agenized media is very, very good at promoting its program, and does so very subtly, with very professional Thai indirectness - portraying agenda as news fact. This is one of its' outputs. Maybe it was a poll taken at the PAD national convention, or some such thing.

It is my view that a vast majority of the Thai electorate would not agree with this Poll's findings, and it therefore does not reflect reality-only agenda. I am not a researcher, and I am not very good at Thai indirectness, but I smell a rat here with this Poll, its' source, its' findings, its analysis and its' timing.

So as Brecht intimates, claiming that the truth about Thaksin's overwhelming electoral support is a lie, using questionable research techniques and analysis, is criminal ........................(had trouble following this bouncing ball myself)

Edited by Ferwert

Abi for sure when he seized power against the will of the population.

Fortunately opposition is very reasonable.

Again:

This government is based upon a coalition of parties which together has the majority in parliament.

The former government was based upon a coalition of parties together having the same.

NO party in the government can go it alone, not having 51% of the seats (or votes)

And if a party in a coalition decides it does not want to be in the coalition any more, for whatever reason, it can get out.

The old coalition can try to go it alone as a minority cabinet.

However, the old coalition decided that was not possible, so the new coalition decided to give it a go.

The will of the population is shown in the coalition that forms the current government.

After last voting all governments were completely democratic and legal.

Difficult to understand for people used to a 2-party system, where it is possible the party with least votes gets the most seats in parliament.

Thereby ignoring all votes not brought out on candidates of the "winning" party.

By the way, before talking about the will of the people, did you ever check out the number of votes for each party in the last polls?

Interesting reading, in your view of the will of the people.

64% voted for parties other than PPP and now their representatives formed the government excluding PPP.

64% is a majority. They got the parties they voted for in power.

So lets' have an election Plus. Every time I mention that, I can't see you for dust!