Best Way To Go From Uk To Bkk

nigelandjan

Hi

I have been over 11 times from Heathrow to BKK allways going direct with Thai airways , I dont drink so cant put myself into some sort of comotose state like so many do to travel , so I have to sit there bored out me skull for the 11 and a half going and 12 and a half coming back.

So I wondered about the alternative ie. using Emirates to Dubai then onwards to BKK ,, I believe this is about 6 . 50 then 5 .50 with the break inbetween ,,,,,, ie walk about in the Dubai duty free looking at things you cant afford for a couple of hours , but I guess it could be better.

Can anyone who has done this trip both routes please tell me which is the best way to go ? also what happens in Dubai with your luggage ? ( that big case with at least 16 t shirts that you never wear ) and ofcourse the parcel with the goodies in for the family back in the LOS . Do we have to retrieve from the UK belt then drag it all around for 2 or 3 hours in the duty free ( do not leave unnatended or it will be blown up ) or are they far enough in the 21st cetury to be able to transfer this for you onto your ongoing plane ??

I,m thinking there might be a saving this way also as Thai are becoming very expensive also theres are ride going on Emirates new 380 as opposed to Thais old dated Jumbo fleet.

Cheers for any info

Its just a matter of personal preference. Usually cheaper if you stop somewhere. I heard one airline (Jet I think) stops in Mumbai where the customs officials were confiscating your duty free. :)

Your luggage will go straight through to BKK.

Etihad via Abu Dhabi is worth checking out too.

Edited by smokie36

Why not try EVA direct from LHR to BKK.

Other suggestions for a nice break include Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong, or Virgin Atlantic also via Hong Kong.

At the end of the day, the cheapest route might be good but it might also be a long day.

Singapore Airways uses the A380 as well from LHR to Singapore.

Cheapest for me was Etihad

Although I bought tickets Thailand and BKK-LHR-BKK so don't know price from UK side.

I was prepared for the worst being cheapest (4 people travelling meant difference between Thai & Etihad was v. substantial) but was pleasantly surprised. Baggage checked all the way through, service good , food not so good ( but I don't eat much on planes anyway), stopover in Abu D not too long. Easy to find your way through transit, lots of places to sit /eat/ free internet.

Planes had personal TVs and good range of films to watch on both leg.

I would definitely do it again.

Emirates was also cheap but I need to get to LHR morning and they don't have that option.

I used Cathay Pacific once BKK-LHR; never again, can't mentally justify flying in the wrong direction :)

Another route to avoid is with Kuwait Airways. The no alcohol policy didn't bother me but the six hour wait in Kuwait was torture. Absolutely nothing to do. Way too long transit time for me. Two hours is more than enough.

Man I know what you mean lol

I have started to fly with Sri Lanka airlines they leave from terminal 4 at Heathrow 10 hour flight then they give you a hotel for the stop over of more than 8 hours ( free transfers and food, then 3 and a bit hours flight to BKK.

Last time I arrived in Sri Lanka at 12,15 pm I had a hotel right on the beach left to catch my flight next morning 5am in BKK by 11am nice and refreshed.

Sri Lanka gives you a visa on arrival (free).

Colino

PS I now this is not everyone's cup of tea, but for me its great, landing in BKK refreshed,

Edited by colino

Other suggestions for a nice break include Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong, or Virgin Atlantic also via Hong Kong.

I'm actually doing that next week, Thai to Hong Kong and then Virgin to Heathrow. Doesn't save any time, in fact the Hong Kong to London leg is almost 13 hours, but am having a mini break in Hong Kong before enjoying the, far superior (in my humble opinion), flight on Virgin.

Think it depends on your criteria:

1) Are you looking purely at price as indirect are generally cheaper as the hub airline are trying to build passanger traffic. However, EVA have been having adeal (july09) with direct flights around £405.00...think that deal has just finished though. This compared to around £360.00 for Jet via mumbai or Etihad at £365.00....for me the little extra to fly direct is more than worth the extra 3,4 or 5 hours on my journey time to BKK.

2) Are you looking at breaking up the journey in which case look for good connection times as more than a couple of hours in a dust bowl of an airport can get mighty uninteresting mighty fast. I flew Gulf Air in March, not to bad as airlines go and the connection was about 1:30 so enough for a ciggy and a strech of the legs. Although...at least if I am bored on the plane I am still heading towards my destination

3) Not generally an issue but if you fly indirect you are relying on two planes functioning and departing on time. I have had many a situation where my connecting flight had issues or my original departing flight was so late that I missed my connecting flight. (7 hours in schipol, an over night in Frankfurt, 12 hours in memphis et al are a few that spring to my mind that I have encountered) With direct once you on your way thats it.

4) Air Miles - Not to be dismissed if you are doing the trip regularly...can be worth it to get free flights and such.

Just about all the indirects will book your bag through all the way so you only have to pick it up at BKK. Although there is always a slight increase in lost bag issues mainly due to the physical need to transfer your bags to differing planes part way through the journey.

As they say 'Up To You'...

Check netflights.co.uk out, they will list all the options for your flight preferences and the detail will show the transit time you can expect.

mkindy

Edited by mkindy

Man I know what you mean lol

I have started to fly with Sri Lanka airlines they leave from terminal 4 at Heathrow 10 hour flight then they give you a hotel for the stop over of more than 8 hours ( free transfers and food, then 3 and a bit hours flight to BKK.

Last time I arrived in Sri Lanka at 12,15 pm I had a hotel right on the beach left to catch my flight next morning 5am in BKK by 11am nice and refreshed.

Sri Lanka gives you a visa on arrival (free).

Colino

PS I now this is not everyone's cup of tea, but for me its great, landing in BKK refreshed,

Thanks colino I might give that a try. Even better if the onward flight is delayed by a couple of days. :)

Edited by smokie36

I've done both direct LHR-BKK (BA, qantas, thai) and stopovers in dubai (emirates), abu dhabi (etihad), doha (qatar) & bahrain (gulf air :) ).

tbh I think I prefer the direct flight but then I like a drink beforehand so can sleep on the flight. the stopovers are fine but I prefer direct. I'll fly a stopover if the price is right and the airline is respectable and thats the reason I've done stopovers in the past. bar gulf air I think all the arab airlines I've flown with are good.

the downside of the stopovers are:

chance of missing connection if first leg of the flight is delayed

having to change planes just as you are about to sleep (usually on the way to BKK)

walking around like a zombie waiting for your connection

I saw cathay pacific mentioned but that is a mammoth flight from/to LHR.

if I was OP I would give the stopover a shot - if you are a non-drinker and don't sleep on flights it might be the preferred option.

PS if stopping over your baggage will be checked through to BKK if flight is LHR-BKK. no need to collect it and check in again.

Edited by game4shame

Etihad was the cheapest I've flown so far and I was pleasantly surprised.  Service, food, entertainment was all spot on and much better than what I expected for the price of the ticket. :D

Jet Airways via Mumbai was also surprisingly good and the food was really yummy.  I too did see some people having trouble with duty free stuff they bought at Heathrow (but nothing on the scale I experienced with the Hungarians).

My worst experience was once with Malev leaving me stranded in Budapest airport at midnight (in December wearing tropical clothing) with the airline stuff giving all of SFA.  I'd rather swim through shark infested waters with bloody steaks stapled to my body than fly Malev again. :)

Hi

I have been over 11 times from Heathrow to BKK allways going direct with Thai airways , I dont drink so cant put myself into some sort of comotose state like so many do to travel , so I have to sit there bored out me skull for the 11 and a half going and 12 and a half coming back.

So I wondered about the alternative ie. using Emirates to Dubai then onwards to BKK ,, I believe this is about 6 . 50 then 5 .50 with the break inbetween ,,,,,, ie walk about in the Dubai duty free looking at things you cant afford for a couple of hours , but I guess it could be better.

Can anyone who has done this trip both routes please tell me which is the best way to go ? also what happens in Dubai with your luggage ? ( that big case with at least 16 t shirts that you never wear ) and ofcourse the parcel with the goodies in for the family back in the LOS . Do we have to retrieve from the UK belt then drag it all around for 2 or 3 hours in the duty free ( do not leave unnatended or it will be blown up ) or are they far enough in the 21st cetury to be able to transfer this for you onto your ongoing plane ??

I,m thinking there might be a saving this way also as Thai are becoming very expensive also theres are ride going on Emirates new 380 as opposed to Thais old dated Jumbo fleet.

Cheers for any info

Hi

I always go via Dubai with Emirates who have some good prices at the moment, But then I live near Gatwick so I do not have a lot of choice. Can't bear the thought of going round the M25 to LHR,

However I do like the break half way, stretch your legs have a ching chong and a fag if thats your vice!! Smoking rooms as opposed to smoking everwhere in Abu Dhabi if you go Etihad. If you book the right flights on the ground about 2 hours which is just about long enough and I Book luggage in at LGW and recover it at BKK.

This time me and the boss lady have got a pair of tickets gratis after accumulating skywards miles so yes it is worth joining and getting something back occasionally, So I am a happy bunny!!

Also as an aviation fan a trip on the A380 is a bonus and all equipment very new and in good shape..

TBWG :)

Hi I have been over 11 times from Heathrow to BKK allways going direct with Thai airways.

Sorry, but I'm not having that ... 'over 11 times' and the OP still doesn't know?

Air New Zealand via Auckland is maybe a route you should look at.

:)

Hi

Cheers for any info

Hi

I always go via Dubai with Emirates who have some good prices at the moment, But then I live near Gatwick so I do not have a lot of choice. Can't bear the thought of going round the M25 to LHR,

However I do like the break half way, stretch your legs have a ching chong and a fag if thats your vice!! Smoking rooms as opposed to smoking everwhere in Abu Dhabi if you go Etihad. If you book the right flights on the ground about 2 hours which is just about long enough and I Book luggage in at LGW and recover it at BKK.

This time me and the boss lady have got a pair of tickets gratis after accumulating skywards miles so yes it is worth joining and getting something back occasionally, So I am a happy bunny!!

Also as an aviation fan a trip on the A380 is a bonus and all equipment very new and in good shape..

TBWG :)

Cheers mate at last someone that actually READ my post and understood what I was asking,,,,,,,,I think well give it a go

Hi I have been over 11 times from Heathrow to BKK allways going direct with Thai airways.

Sorry, but I'm not having that ... 'over 11 times' and the OP still doesn't know?

Sorry but you will have that ,if you read my post I have only ever been direct ,so I have no experience of going via the Dubai route so I have nothing to compare it to

Hi

Cheers for any info

air eva good ,free beer to lol

Sorry but you will have that ,if you read my post I have only ever been direct ,so I have no experience of going via the Dubai route so I have nothing to compare it to

Whereabouts do you live?

Emirates is ok. The main problem at Dubai (apart from not being able to afford all the hig end swag in the Duty Free) is the security check as you transit into the departure area. For some reason they refuse to use hand-held wands so if you 'beep' at the security gate they make you go through again. They won't let you through until you don't beep. I've seen blokes going through there holding their trousers up as they'd been made to take their belt off because it had a metal buckle.

Qatar is a great airline. Food is good, great entertainment system, friendly staff and fairly cheap prices. I get Manchester to Bangkok return for £375.00 including taxes.

Only problem is you can get long waits in Qatar for a connection, but if you are flexible as to when you fly using Qatar's online booking system you can pick the connections to suit you. Some are as short as 2 hours, the longest is about 12 hours!

Chris

Avoid Cathay Pacific.

Those new shell seats, which sound like such a good idea (nobody can recline into your lap) are crap.

All that happens is your bottom seat moves forward 4 inches giving you the worst possible curvature of the spine and after twelve hours you will have slipped discs, sciatica and osteopath bills to settle.

Those seats are the biggest joke of the new millennium, whoever designed them should be shot (it is obvious he has shares in a private Hong Kong spinal injury unit).

I travelled EVA direct from LHR and Emirates from Manchester via Dubai, I would not choose to go Emirates again because of the stop-over, there is 1 hour extra flight time which I think is due to the descending and ascending time and maybe Dubai is not on the direct path.

I would rather hire a rental car, drive the 3 hours to heathrow and fly direct, cannot be doing with stopping once I get going.

Any date/time changes to the return flight on EVA are free, where as Emirates charge 75 GBP.

On the way back last time, my wife and I decided to change our return date/time and go last minute, we flew that night from BKK landed Dubia at 04:30 in the morning, then had a 10 hour waiting until 14:30 for our flight to Manchester, all be it glad to Emirates that the managed that at the last minute but would not like to do it again, was abolsutley shattered when got back home.

Also, when flying with a baby means you have to packup all your bags, take the baby out the cot, get the baby food ready, etc.etc. then start all over again on the next plane, few too much. Direct for me please.

Avoid Cathay Pacific.

Those new shell seats, which sound like such a good idea (nobody can recline into your lap) are crap.

Thanks for that. I've got a flight booked with them in November :D

What are the like for sitting rather than reclining? I rarely recline (until after the 5th glass :) )

Qatar is a great airline. Food is good, great entertainment system, friendly staff and fairly cheap prices. I get Manchester to Bangkok return for £375.00 including taxes.

Only problem is you can get long waits in Qatar for a connection, but if you are flexible as to when you fly using Qatar's online booking system you can pick the connections to suit you. Some are as short as 2 hours, the longest is about 12 hours!

Chris

I agree Qatar is great and even better when you get the silver card and get to use the Lounge's

Whereabouts do you live?

Emirates is ok. The main problem at Dubai (apart from not being able to afford all the hig end swag in the Duty Free) is the security check as you transit into the departure area. For some reason they refuse to use hand-held wands so if you 'beep' at the security gate they make you go through again. They won't let you through until you don't beep. I've seen blokes going through there holding their trousers up as they'd been made to take their belt off because it had a metal buckle.

Live in Frinton on Sea in the UK mate ,,,,yes I know all the way round that poxy 25 joy of joys,,, and we start building on the missus land in Ban Pak ( North Issan ) in Feb next year , nothing too grand just a nice little 2 bed 2 bath bungalow with a nice bit of garden for me to prat around in, in me semi retirement

Avoid Cathay Pacific.

What are the like for sitting rather than reclining? I rarely recline (until after the 5th glass :) )

Actually if you remain upright, then you are a winner (because the person in front doesn't intrude). So if you rarely recline (or don't recline) you will be comfortable.

The new 3-point seat belt is a nuisance though; but you don't have to wear it after take off and if you can be bothered taking your seat apart with the handy toolkit provided it converts into the old style 'lap' seat belt.

Otherwise the in-flight entertainment is excellent and the 9 inch screen is wizard.

Having only flown with Emirates I was thinking that flying direct from Heathrow would be better but then I thought 12 hours is long time to be sat on a plane.

I'm going with Emirates in October from Newcastle, UK and have a 9 hour wait in Dubai :) What can I do for 9 hours???

Having only flown with Emirates I was thinking that flying direct from Heathrow would be better but then I thought 12 hours is long time to be sat on a plane.

I'm going with Emirates in October from Newcastle, UK and have a 9 hour wait in Dubai :) What can I do for 9 hours???

If you are a Emirates Silver/Gold card member you can relax in the lounge with free internet terminals, great food and loads of free booze.

If you don't hold a card, then pre-book lounge access: 5 hours access costs 25 GBP

Alternative is a good pish-up in the Irish Bar in the airport.

Link to lounge below:

Dubai Lounge Link

Avoid Cathay Pacific.

Actually if you remain upright, then you are a winner (because the person in front doesn't intrude). So if you rarely recline (or don't recline) you will be comfortable.

The new 3-point seat belt is a nuisance though; but you don't have to wear it after take off and if you can be bothered taking your seat apart with the handy toolkit provided it converts into the old style 'lap' seat belt.

Otherwise the in-flight entertainment is excellent and the 9 inch screen is wizard.

Cheers. Transitting through Hong Kong airport do I need to go through immigration or is it just a security check between arrivals & departures?

Cheers. Transitting through Hong Kong airport do I need to go through immigration or is it just a security check between arrivals & departures?

You will transit airside, you will probably get your boarding card for the second leg when you check in on your departure from the UK, if you don't you will need to go to the airside transit desk, to get your boarding card for the second leg.