Changing £50 Notes In Phuket

Peterocket

Before I arrive with a large wad of £50 notes can anyone confirm if they are widely excepted at thai banks and/or money changers?

I know some places wont touch them with a barge pole

Much easier than travelling with loads of twenties tho

Before I arrive with a large wad of £50 notes can anyone confirm if they are widely excepted at thai banks and/or money changers?

Get a better rate with 100 pound notes.

Almost all money change booths here are actually owned and operated by the large banks, same rates as bank. Banks and their booths don't charge commissions as such but rather work on the spread between sell and buy rates. Should be no problem with 50 pound notes; I have seen them change 100 euro items without blinking an eye. May need to show passport, usually just shove the money over the counter.

Only for US$ the rate gets better for bigger notes. With other currencies like Euro and GBP: same rate for all notes.

Only for US$ the rate gets better for bigger notes. With other currencies like Euro and GBP: same rate for all notes.

And besides, a 100 pound note would be fake, as I believe the 50 pound note is still the biggest note issued by the Bank of England.

Sophon

And besides, a 100 pound note would be fake, as I believe the 50 pound note is still the biggest note issued by the Bank of England.

Sophon

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_...pound_sterling:

Banknotes

Freq. used £5, £10, £20, £50

Rarely used £1 (Scot., Jersey, Guernsey, IoM only), £100 (Scot. & N. Ireland only)

higher values exist such as £100,000,000 (Titan) bank note, however, usage is restricted.

Reason for edit: colon in link moved.

Edited by hkt83100

• 2 weeks later...