Anyone Going To Chathuchak Market?

stevehaigh

I live down south and getting to BKK is a bit of a pain.

Is anyone likely visting Chathuchak market? if so, if you see any nice big antique doors or windows pls let me know, or even better take a photo and email to me. then i'll know if it's worth my while taking the 12 hour train ride to check them out (and i'll buy you a beer).

i'm specifically looking for big double doors with carvings and interior doors with carvings. i need 5 exterior double doors with glass panels and 11 interior single doors and some windows.

thanks in advance if anyone can help, steve

I live down south and getting to BKK is a bit of a pain.

Is anyone likely visting Chathuchak market? if so, if you see any nice big antique doors or windows pls let me know, or even better take a photo and email to me. then i'll know if it's worth my while taking the 12 hour train ride to check them out (and i'll buy you a beer).

i'm specifically looking for big double doors with carvings and interior doors with carvings. i need 5 exterior double doors with glass panels and 11 interior single doors and some windows.

thanks in advance if anyone can help, steve

http://www.airasia.com

http://www.railway.co.th/timetable/N_S.html

Closest i seen to antique doors was T shirts with Jim Morrison on. :o

:D:D

so true

Seriously there is no antiques in JJ, you can still found some old pieces of wood and furnitures in the deep back, but those are generally of none interest.

True antiques are quite rare and don 't think you will found that on a market.

If u look for new windows with carving, better u go in wood street, west of JJ, closer to the river, don 't remember the real street name but can check it out.

There is plenty of supplier for this and u can get some made to order.

Otherwise, better go out of bangkok, nearby Ayuthaya, Still can found some good builders of traditionnal thai houses around there.

Bang po has some very skilled lads kicking around, I have had a few things made from drawings, maybe you should think along this route, you can distress them yourself afterwards, mind you expect some funny looks of the Thais, I don't think they get the apeal of the "aged" look, if it ain't covered in gold and looking like it just came out of louis the 14ths gaff to be plastic wrapped then it ain't no good!

Eny taxi driver know the place ( near china town )

Around WAT SA KET ,you find a lot of shops ,even you can by the wood or ready make doors en windows

If you need a lot of windows or doors ,i can give you another place outside BKK

On Mahachai Street theres a strip of shops that just do carved doors.

For big antique pieces, there's a street bisecting Silom and Suriwong near to Nielson Hayes library - haven't been to check their stock lately.

Chatuchak - hmmm, not really - but i've seen the carved windows (new) there the ones that don't have glass, but carved out ornate holes to let breeze through.