Getting Married In Chiang Mai

mallmagician

Hi All,

Well, I'm finally about to tie the knot with my girlfriend, and the day we wish to do it is 09/09/09, which is meant to be lucky, although it does has a certain irony.

Anyway, a while ago, I found an informative thread about how an English guy goes about marrying a Thai in Chiang Mai. I now can't find it, although it may now be out of date.

What do I need to do beforehand, and what do I need to do on the day? How much do I need to pay at each stage? Do wheels need greasing etc?

As we are to be saving up for a ceremony next year, we are being frugal. I remember reading about cheaper but reliable places to do document translation of something(?) from the British embassy, rather than use the recommended translation places.

Oh, also, whilst I am on the subject - Any interesting venues for a ceremony? I think my family from the UK will be over for the ceremony next year, and Im hoping to find somewhere special. Perhaps somewhere with great views or something.

And finally, I've read that the groom can arrive on an elephant. Where can you rent one from? Do North Wheels do these? Do I need a license to drive it? :)

Thanks

Phil & Nokk

You need a certified statement that you are free to marry from the British Consulate. Cost around 2,000 Baht, no option there.

You need this translated to Thai and then forwarded to Bangkok for approval by the Thai authorities. This cost less than 2,000 Baht from the approved Consular translators. Why try and skimp on this process? Not heard of any rejections, but why take the chance with a 'bucket' shop.

These costs are approximate and will be higher if you have been married before and divorced. More paper work and translation.

You then just walk into the Ampur office and get married. Cost about 500 Baht I think. No witness or ceremony required.

Next year I would avoid using an elephant. It is cruel to bring them into the city and looked down upon by the majority of people.

Iain

ps. do not get a tattoo of the date, may look worrying upside down!

About half way to Chiang Rai is the Suan Thip Vana Resort. A beautiful place that is always empty. I have always thought that it would be a great place for a wedding. Cost is about 2500-3000 Baht a night for a room. I'm not sure if that is in your budget.

Ah ok,

So it looks like 5000 will be enough all in. Thats great, thanks.

Both the resort mentioned and the resort I was PM'd about look wonderful places for weddings, and I am looking into the prices etc of those places as we speak.

I think I need to break apart each of the individual parts of the wedding, and look into each one in turn to try and create the perfect day.

Thanks for all advice, and keep it coming. :)

Phil

Ah ok,

Both the resort mentioned and the resort I was PM'd about look wonderful places for weddings, and I am looking into the prices etc of those places as we speak.

I think I need to break apart each of the individual parts of the wedding, and look into each one in turn to try and create the perfect day.

Phil

i guess you know but just in case you do not....

you need to purchase gold for you sweetheart and this is more than 5000 baht. u know this one right ? you should have some cash for the mom and dad too. this is how it is done here .the amount of $ depends on social status. for instance if you pulled a uneducated girl out of a chiang rai rice patch etc etc. different than if you met a girl from the university who has middle class parents that own /drive a car not ride a kwai. this is expected from Thai man and a farang a little more is expected .it is all face .

Ah ok,

Phil

you need to purchase gold for you sweetheart and this is more than 5000 baht. u know this one right ? you should have some cash for the mom and dad too. this is how it is done here .the amount of $ depends on social status. for instance if you pulled a uneducated girl out of a chiang rai rice patch etc etc. different than if you met a girl from the university who has middle class parents that own /drive a car not ride a kwai. this is expected from Thai man and a farang a little more is expected .it is all face .

Hi,

Yes, Im familiar with the gold and sinsod (Spelling?). We are to be paying this next year for the ceremony. As you say, all for face.

Thanks

Phil

Ah ok,

Phil

Hi,

Yes, Im familiar with the gold and sinsod (Spelling?). We are to be paying this next year for the ceremony. As you say, all for face.

Thanks

Phil

This is not the proper forum to be debating sinsod, but you do not need this.

Yes, true. But as you say, this is a subject that has so many possibilities, and I guess its down to each individuals circumstances etc.

As you say, its perhaps not the right forum to debate it, and I'd really prefer to keep on track with discussing venues, and any tips on creating a great day.

Posters have answered my questions on the paperwork/embassy stuff.

Thanks

Phil

Ah ok,

Phil

If your girlfriend has been married before then the sin-sod payment is out of the window.

Just a thought, if you are going out to a resort for the ceremony, I'd look at how many guests you expect to have and how many rooms you'll have to provide. That would make a nice dint in your budget.

I got married last March, went to the local office in the morning, after which we went back to our house for a drink. The wedding party then left for the restaurant arriving at circa 11:15, where the water on the hands ceremony was carried out. After this we had lunch at the restaurant and more drinks. Left the restaurant, went back to the house and further drinking ensued. Majority of guests had departed during the early evening, as they had to get back to Chiang Rai, they had come down in 2 mini-buses. About 8 that evening we popped off to a local restaurant, for more food and drinks.

Had a great day of it. One thing we did do was hire 2 more mini-buses for the day to ferry people around, so they could enjoy a drink without worrying about driving.

There were approx. 70 guests at the ceremony and the wedding lunch.

Hope your day is as enjoyable as ours was.

Ah ok,

Phil

Hi,

Thanks

Phil

oh wise one.. i am but a little grasshopper ..help me , first off who is "debating" anything,

secondly the thread was cost of wedding in CM or the like and things cost money.

finally ,what is sinsod?? is this some Thai dirty word that is improper to discuss in mixed company or what? We are in Thailand which has different ways,manners and customs so what gives ? i am miffed. whats up ??

Edited by gatorhead333

When I got married it was at the thier house in a village between Hang Dong and Lamphun, we hired gowns which was not much, then was make up flowers etc, main cost was food, we had to order extra food as quite few hundred turned up to see a Farang getting married. After we got all the envelopes and counted out the money the next day there was a little more than what we spent in total. None of this involved any documents of marriage as that has to be done at the local Amphur. This required a trip to Bangkok to the Australian Embassy, translations and a visit to a Thai gov office at Don Muang. The details are on the Australian embassy website.

I had the reception at the AMARI RINCOME HOTEL... picked the LARGE POOL area.... was absolutely wonderful. Food was great... everybody had a blast.

We had 240 guests and everything cost us 74,000 THB with special flower arrangement. 50,000 without.

Don't worry about the money to the parents... I pulled 500,000 THB out of the bank for SHOW!!! and i got it all back and gave the Family 50,000 THB.

Gold... just needs to be gold... necklace.. rings.... someone mentioned over 5,000... not necessary... just make it look like it is over 5,000 :-P

Thai weddings are mainly for show... dont worry too much about it... and you do NOT have to grease any wheels. If anyone asks you for money... dont give it to them!

I had the reception at the AMARI RINCOME HOTEL... picked the LARGE POOL area.... was absolutely wonderful. Food was great... everybody had a blast.

We had 240 guests and everything cost us 74,000 THB with special flower arrangement. 50,000 without.

Don't worry about the money to the parents... I pulled 500,000 THB out of the bank for SHOW!!! and i got it all back and gave the Family 50,000 THB.

Gold... just needs to be gold... necklace.. rings.... someone mentioned over 5,000... not necessary... just make it look like it is over 5,000 :-P

Thai weddings are mainly for show... dont worry too much about it... and you do NOT have to grease any wheels. If anyone asks you for money... dont give it to them!

Wow, that seems really cheap for it being the Amari. What sort of food was that? Did they dress the room. How long was it available for in the day (Could the ceremony be held there too?).

Did they throw in a nice room for the couple too? And special rates for guests?

Sorry for all the questions, Im just shocked at how affordable it is. :)

Wow, that seems really cheap for it being the Amari. What sort of food was that? Did they dress the room. How long was it available for in the day (Could the ceremony be held there too?).

Did they throw in a nice room for the couple too? And special rates for guests?

Sorry for all the questions, Im just shocked at how affordable it is. :)

I got married 'By Social' last May and it cost me about 5,000 for the party, Monks, Leader of village and uncle tom cobbly and all. Great day and from that moment on it is accepted that you will be able to sleep together even in her parents house. I gave my wife 1,000GBP as a present to get what gold or whatever else she wanted and gave her parents a lot of alcoholic beverage and quality food. As far as Thai's are concerned you are now married and that's that. However; You are not married by law in England where I come from unless you are 'married by register' so off we went to do that only last week and finalised yesterday. It cost me 4,000Baht at Star Agency for the Bangkok Translation and 3,074Baht at the British Consulate for my freedom to marry document(which you have to get first). At the registry office yesterday we waited about 40 minutes and paid 110Baht for the paperwork. You can take your own witness if you want to but they will happily witness it for you if you give them a little money. It's up to you what you give but the bloke said to me that the cost of paperwork was 110Baht so I gave him 500 and said thanks pal, keep the change.

If your wife wants to change her surname to yours, then that's a different job and it's not automatic. Different registry office and loads of paperwork but costs about 200 baht all in. Did that this morning!

Cheers for now...........Brian.

We went to Australia for our 'Honeymoon' last May but sounds like that's not on for your budget. Have also been up to Pai and there are some good hotels etc up there at good rates. Have a look at the various offers online.

I got married in Chiang Mai just over two years ago we had to go to the amphur in the morning for the Thai blessing (monks) which we paid three thousand THB. In the afternoon we did the Lanna style wedding my parents and friends all came out from the UK we had fifty people in total. I can't find the name of the venue but I can tell you it's one of the well know venues for the Kantok (spelling) dinner and dance, it's an old teak building with an upstairs which is where the Lanna style wedding takes place. They provided all the dress for bride grooms and best men + make-up (wife had her own dress), food, an old car to drive you down the road as the ceromony begins, DVD of the full evening, wedding photo's and then a full show topped off the evening. Basically it was a brilliant experience and I would recommend it to anyone and the price was not that bad in total in came in about 60,000THB. We supplied the booze they supplied soft drinks.

If I can find the exact name and spelling of the venue I will PM you.

Dave

Seems to be a lot of good stories and lovely experiences above as well as some practical advice.

As well, if you just pick up a couple of decent books on Thai culture and traditions, you'll get it right (both the traditional and the "modern" practices).

Whatever, mazel tov !!

Hi All,

What wonderful replies, and such good ideas for venues. It turns out we're spoilt for choice.

I think we will be going on a bit of a trip around over the next few weekends to discuss possibilities with the different venues.

I hope to report back on what we manage to achieve on our budget, and no doubt I will be asking for more pointers when it comes to photographers, pre-wedding photo's, videographers, flower suppliers, rental of ceremony equipment, etc.

Thanks everyone, Nokk and I have been reading the posts and are having such fun looking at all the possibilities.

Phil & Nokk

They provided all the dress for bride grooms and best men + make-up .

Dave

Any photos? I'd particularly like to see how they did your make-up. What colour Lippy did they use, and did it match the eye-liner? Not too much Blusher, I hope!! It would have to be good quality Mascara, because there's always tears at a wedding. Even from the women.

PS. Phil,

Can I come? I went to a wedding last year and I had to buy a new suit. It cost me 4000 baht!!! It's been there in the cupboard ever since. Such a pity - good money going to waste.

Edited by KevinHunt

They provided all the dress for bride grooms and best men + make-up .

Dave

Any photos? I'd particularly like to see how they did your make-up. What colour Lippy did they use, and did it match the eye-liner? Not too much Blusher, I hope!! It would have to be good quality Mascara, because there's always tears at a wedding. Even from the women.

PS. Phil,

Can I come? I went to a wedding last year and I had to buy a new suit. It cost me 4000 baht!!! It's been there in the cupboard ever since. Such a pity - good money going to waste.

Yes sure,

We would love you to come. We are asking all of our guests to place the same amount of money that their suit or dress cost, into the pink envelopes on the day.

Your name is down. :)

Phil & Nokk

I got married in Chiang Mai back in 2007.

Khun Saa at Iris Florist (across from warm up) did all out floral arrangements and was our wedding planner.

She had her dress cut and I had mine cut at the wedding shop before the canal road and HK intersection, before dunkin donuts I believe. This is on the way to CMU.

We had our wedding at Gao Mai Lanna, it is an old tobacco curing plantation converted into a beautiful resort in San Patong. The place is beautiful and the food is EXCELLENT.

Over all I think paid about $4000 USD. Considering something similar would have cost me over $40,000 in th us, I was rather happy.

I can post pics if you want.

I got married in Chiang Mai back in 2007.

Khun Saa at Iris Florist (across from warm up) did all out floral arrangements and was our wedding planner.

She had her dress cut and I had mine cut at the wedding shop before the canal road and HK intersection, before dunkin donuts I believe. This is on the way to CMU.

We had our wedding at Gao Mai Lanna, it is an old tobacco curing plantation converted into a beautiful resort in San Patong. The place is beautiful and the food is EXCELLENT.

Over all I think paid about $4000 USD. Considering something similar would have cost me over $40,000 in th us, I was rather happy.

I can post pics if you want.

Hi There,

We have had a look at the website, and it looks wonderful. Can I ask how many guests you had?

If you could post some pics, that would be great too, as its difficult to get a true feel from the website itself.

Thanks

Phil & Nokk

In a few months we are getting married at The Chedi hotel and spa. They have a wedding package for 30 guests for 90K. But, we are at around 100 guests already, so it will be considerable more, but hey, its only going to happen once, so I am pulling out all the stops.

Ouch. That one for sure is out of our budget. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Phil & Nokk

I think we had something around 200 guests, pics will be forth coming, uploading them now.

Furthermore, they will invite you to sample any of their food on the menu. We were able to pick foods that we tasted.

Chiang mai Lotus? The one behind Central refused to do this, we later went to a wedding there, not only did they spell the people's names wrong, but the food was AWFUL. I think they were actually more expensive than Kao Mai Lanna too.

Edited by BlackArtemis

We had about 240 people coming to our wedding that i anticipated. We had three main criteria: lots of parking space, not too far from town (for all my wife's family and friends' sake, thais not wanting to travel too far), and at a resort rather than a hotel, considering chiang mai is so abundant in beautiful nature.

We ended up choosing the green lake resort on the canal road by a huge lake (surprisingly enough) not far before the 700 year old stadium. Doi Suthep looms in the background behind the lake. All the tables and chairs were set out on the garden right by the lake, and we started the party at 5pm, largely because i wanted all my mates from england to see the beautiful views before it got dark. We were charged about 300 baht per head, and this included a free night's stay for us. There were a few organisational complaints by my wife, but the food was pretty good, and the setting was great. It fitted all our criteria, and didn't burn too massive a hole in my pocket. We ordered the beer from a company that bring it in the barrels along with one or two of their girls to serve it, great news for my bachelor mates who came.

ring, bracelet, and necklace in gold were really important for my wife so that she'd not be at the receiving end of 'wrong' talk!

We had the 'magic man' do all his stuff which was a great part to the proceedings, and again, great for all the farang who've never been to a thai wedding. We also had about six mini-shows by some well-dressed and good-looking thai girls that punctuated the night. Plus our own music which i painstakingly selected and then burned myself. Thought about a band, but chose not to.

It is fun organising it all! You can also get some pretty natty wedding invitation cards to send out. And, one other thing for you to chew on: i've seen too many thai couples get married in western attire. I particularly wanted both of us dressed in lanna garb. That is real fun mate!

Enjoy it all, make that the first objective above all else. The planning and the day.