Cost Of Having A Driver

onnut

hello,

I am thinking of getting a driver, but would like to know a little more of what to expect first.

I have some questions if you do not mind.

how much to pay per month?

how much for overtime?

what about his food and drink?

what would he be doing if we have no need for him for a few hours?

where would I find one who will drive safe and has experiance?

thank you

Hi Mate. I am in Bangkok.

I am happy driving myself at the moment but there are two of us and my wife needs the car during the day once I am at work anyway. and I think a driver would be the best way to go as in taking me to work then driving my wife about and then coming to collect me once i am done. its that or another car and I do not want to buy another car.

so at the moment before I go ahead and employ a guy I need to know some things as in the first post before I make my mind up.

Hi Mate. I am in Bangkok.

I am happy driving myself at the moment but there are two of us and my wife needs the car during the day once I am at work anyway. and I think a driver would be the best way to go as in taking me to work then driving my wife about and then coming to collect me once i am done. its that or another car and I do not want to buy another car.

so at the moment before I go ahead and employ a guy I need to know some things as in the first post before I make my mind up.

The upside is that you'll also be reducing your carbon footprint by not purchasing an extra vehicle.

Regards Bojo

I always find it amazing that Thai's after marrying a farang always need a car or car plus driver. What happened to using public transport.

Of course they need a car ! Welcome to the farang world.

I always find it amazing that Thai's after marrying a farang always need a car or car plus driver. What happened to using public transport.

let me explain to you!

my wife has been offered a new job, much better money than the last job. she needs a car for this job as she will be driving all over Bangkok and will also need to go to pattaya once in a while.

I dont want to give up my car and I dont want to buy her another car. so I thought maybe a driver would be a good idea. he could drive me to work, come back home and take her around so she can do what she needs to do and then he can collect me and drive me home. hey presto, job done.

the last job my wife had she was more then happy to take busses and BTS but with this job should she except, she needs a car.

so pal! not all Thais married to farang are like your wife.

that said and done! can any of you please give me some details on drivers and costs. there are so many posters on TV who reckon they have drivers, that I thought it would be a good idea to get info from this site. :)

maybe these people with drivers and 12 million baht cars dont really have drivers and take the bus to school to earn there money in teaching. :D

that said and done! can any of you please give me some details on drivers and costs. there are so many posters on TV who reckon they have drivers, that I thought it would be a good idea to get info from this site. :)

maybe these people with drivers and 12 million baht cars dont really have drivers and take the bus to school to earn there money in teaching. :D

:D :D :D

I have to say that you look in a pretty good condition today!

:D:D:D

ha ha, mate, I just want a simple answer! I thought all Thaivisa members had drivers and I was the only one who did not. :D

ha ha, mate, I just want a simple answer! I thought all Thaivisa members had drivers and I was the only one who did not. :D

I don't have one either....so I can't help you much, but I would assume that it would cost somewhere around 8,000 - 10-000 depending of working hours, and his "style"...Good luck

I employed a driver for a few months last year whilst I was trying to get used to the driving norms in Bangkok. I employed the driver through a reputable agency. The cost was as follows:-

- driver basic salary 9,500 baht per month

- agency fee, 2,400 per month

- overtime (if working before 8am and after 5pm), at 75 baht per hour

So, whilst my minimum monthly cost was 11,900 baht, I typically paid about 14,000 baht. I was told by some folks that I was paying too much, and that the total all-in cost should be about 10,000 per month. My driver had good references and had prevously worked for farangs and a five star hotel.

I provide specific answers to your questions in italic font below:

hello,

I am thinking of getting a driver, but would like to know a little more of what to expect first.

I have some questions if you do not mind.

how much to pay per month?

- between 12,000 - 14,000 baht per month

how much for overtime?

- and 2,000 baht per month, depends

what about his food and drink?

- I gave him a few hundred extra baht for dinner if he was doing evening overtime

what would he be doing if we have no need for him for a few hours?

- he waits in the carpark for your call, and talks to other drivers who are also waiting around doing nothing

where would I find one who will drive safe and has experiance?

- you are welcome to pm me for details of the agency I used

thank you

Edited by mark5335

Hi my brother-in-law works as a private driver for a wealthy thai family and he makes 14.000bath/month.

When he´s not driving the familys cars he`s washing them and sometimes helps around the house.

The family has 5 cars and 2 drivers, and the drivers each work 6 days a week, having either Saturday or Sunday off, not sure what they get payed overtime, if any, but i could ask.

Tommy

mark5335, thank you very much for your answer, that is just what I am looking for. let me see if my wife really wants to change her job and if so I will PM you for more details.

thank you very much.

also, thanks to everyone else who left a serious answer as well :)

we pay 13k a month for our driver, but he is live in so aditionaly we pay cell, food, uniforms, laundry, ect maybe a grand total of 18k

when hes not driving for us he washes the cars, runs errands, pretends not to be sleeping, pays visits to his gf's around bkk, eats, talks on the phone....all the time, eats, finds new places to eat, likes to point out places that are great to eat, places that are supposed to be great to eat as well, Makes sure there is always something to eat at home "for us" hes figured out he can buy whatever he wants as long as it at least looks like it was intended for us... gotta love it. One of the nicest ways to blow 18k a month :)

we pay 13k a month for our driver, but he is live in so aditionaly we pay cell, food, uniforms, laundry, ect maybe a grand total of 18k

when hes not driving for us he washes the cars, runs errands, pretends not to be sleeping, pays visits to his gf's around bkk, eats, talks on the phone....all the time, eats, finds new places to eat, likes to point out places that are great to eat, places that are supposed to be great to eat as well, Makes sure there is always something to eat at home "for us" hes figured out he can buy whatever he wants as long as it at least looks like it was intended for us... gotta love it. One of the nicest ways to blow 18k a month :)

sounds like fun, but if it is going to cost 18k I might as well buy a car for the missus. :D

For that kind of money I might apply for the job 5555

I don't have one either....so I can't help you much, but I would assume that it would cost somewhere around 8,000 - 10-000 depending of working hours, and his "style"...Good luck

when hes not driving for us he washes the cars, runs errands, pretends not to be sleeping, pays visits to his gf's around bkk, eats, talks on the phone....all the time, eats, finds new places to eat, likes to point out places that are great to eat, places that are supposed to be great to eat as well, Makes sure there is always something to eat at home "for us" hes figured out he can buy whatever he wants as long as it at least looks like it was intended for us... gotta love it. One of the nicest ways to blow 18k a month :D

sounds like fun, but if it is going to cost 18k I might as well buy a car for the missus. :D

I think you yourself could take a taxi (bus,train or bts) to and from work or let yourself be driven to work by your misses because it is obvious she start later than you :)

Cheers jopham

when hes not driving for us he washes the cars, runs errands, pretends not to be sleeping, pays visits to his gf's around bkk, eats, talks on the phone....all the time, eats, finds new places to eat, likes to point out places that are great to eat, places that are supposed to be great to eat as well, Makes sure there is always something to eat at home "for us" hes figured out he can buy whatever he wants as long as it at least looks like it was intended for us... gotta love it. One of the nicest ways to blow 18k a month :D

I think you yourself could take a taxi (bus,train or bts) to and from work or let yourself be driven to work by your misses because it is obvious she start later than you :)

Cheers jopham

yeah right! :D