A Real Cool Program

Thetyim

I have been looking at installing extra cooling for my computer as it runs a little too hot. I could only find one cooling system that really seemed to do the business but it is not sold in LOS and then I stubled onto this little gem.

CPUIDLE Download from www.cpuidle.de

It uses software to reduce your cpu temp

My computer used to run at 51c on idle, it has now dropped to 43c.

That is only case temp plus 4c.

I get a similar drop under full load.

I don't pretend to understand how it does it, something to do with HLT commands and making the cpu idle when not being used.

What I do know is that it works and uses very little resources.

Linux already uses this system .

The download is only 545k and gives you a 30 day trial.

You don't need fancy cooling solutions to get your computer temp down to manageable levels. There are only a few basics to normal air cooling, and it all boils down to air flow. Sadly, most computer cases don't have well-designed air flow. The biggest flaw is in their openings... a case can have a multitude of fan mounts, but if their air flow is blocked by nice-looking covers, there won't be much air getting through. If you have the tools, cut out those openings, and let the air flow. Replace them with metal grates.

Another thing to watch is the direction of air flow... the general idea is front-to-back and bottom-to-top, since you want to draw cool air from the front, and since warm air tends to rise. So you have fans in the front that draw in air, and fans in the back (including the PSU fan) that exhaust air, creating a general continuous flow of air from front to back. Too much intake and not enough exhaust means the hot air has nowhere to go, too little, and there is no cool air getting in. Some cases come with intake fans right next to the PSU fan... this causes turbulence, not to mention the intake of hot air from the PSU back into the case.

If you want anything cooled, you should have as much of the surface area exposed to air flow as possible (a reason why heatsinks have fins, more surface area). So a "harddisk cooler" which has tiny fans blowing only on the circuit board (which doesn't get hot anyways) is not really doing its job. Properly designed cases will have fans that blow air around the whole harddisk.

Choosing the right fan can also affect air flow. Most cases come with cheap "made in China" things that might die within a year. However, the nice fans that specialty stores sell go for quite a lot. You can walk the middle road... go to chinatown, there are plenty of quality used fans for bargain prices. Also remember that bigger (120mm) and thicker (1" or more) can draw more air and therefore can run slower and quieter. You can run 12V fans slower by using the 5V line, or even at 7V, by using a combination of the 12V-5V line.

As for the CPUidle programs, it helps when your computer's not doing much, but if you're doing anything CPU intensive, you'll still feel the heat.

Agreed Firefox.

The cooling that came with my puter was not logical in its layout.

I have changed the fans and the general flow pattern already.

What also helps is to move the cpu fan away from the heat sink so that the fan does not "cast its own shadow" and the whole area of the sink is used. My motherboard no longer supports the weight of the fan.

These mods (sorry can I discuss mods?) plus the software means that I have an idle temp of case temp plus 4c, which is <deleted> good for an AMD 2600+, they are noted for heat problems. When new it used to reach 70c

Sure the temp increases when under full load ( I use Heavyload to test it) this is normal but I no longer get anywhere near 70c it stays down in the fifties.

many years ago i had a desktop computernot the tower case...i never actually had the cover on it(actually misplaced it) cyrix 300 CPU(low on budget) overclocked....i used to keep a table fan on top to route the air flow from the a/c to the PC.....just for kicks....

i see many ppl keep their cases in highly guarded secure locations in their desks which almosts sufocates the poor thing...u can feel the case gettin hot even on intels....if i suggest them to keep it an open space with a proper ventilation, they say i dunno wht the ###### im talkin abt...mayb ill give them a link of this thread.

most PC users these days dont give a shit abt the health of their PC (only regularly wiping the dust of the case).

I have been looking at installing extra cooling for my computer as it runs a little too hot.  I could only find one cooling system that really seemed to do the business but it is not sold in LOS  and then I stubled onto this little gem.

CPUIDLE    Download from www.cpuidle.de

It uses software to reduce your cpu temp

My computer used to run at 51c on idle, it has now dropped to 43c.

That is only case temp plus 4c.

I get a similar drop under full load.

I don't pretend to understand how it does it, something to do with HLT commands and making the cpu idle when not being used.

What I do know is that it works and uses very little resources.

Linux already uses this system .

The download is only 545k and gives you a 30 day trial.

For the ultimate in cooling try PC POWER & COOLING ...

www.pcpowercooling.com

have used their stuff back in the Pentium Pro days on quad processor systems and such -- like air-conditioning for a PC.

Highly recommended.

Just a tip but for proper conduction between the core and heat sink I recommend the Arctic Silver line of thermal grease. I saw better than a 5 Celsius decrease to core temp alone using this product rather than the thermal pad that came with my retail AMD CPU.

yeah...and get a professional to apply the greese.

if u leave tiny air bubles then the conductivity will be worse then thermal pad.

NOOOOOOO

do it yourself, and not self called professionals in BKK. I saw them on my computer, puting it on the cpu, like jam on the bread.....

If you don't know anything about it, you can not do it worse.....

my pc is all open i never close the case, make sure you clean the dust once a week with a mini vacum.

I just use a small brush and some compressed air (can from a camera shop). Vaccume is a huge static risk, one bit of that and you can corrupt your whole HD.

cv

When I was working in the computer department, we'd use a mini leaf blower to clean out 2 year old computers. Lots of gunk and dust had built up over the years, and the big guns had to be brought in. Worked well, since it was so powerful. The main reason you don't leave a computer case open (and blow a desk fan into it) is because of all the unwanted things that could get inside... dust, insects, the family pet, your 2 month kid...

For thermal grease, only enough should be applied to just barely cover the entire contact area. Any more than that and it would hurt rather than help the thermal conduction. If you want really good contact, sand the heatsink area with fine grit sandpaper to a near-mirror finish.

When I was working in the computer department, we'd use a mini leaf blower to clean out 2 year old computers.  Lots of gunk and dust had built up over the years, ....

I soon learned to keep a pair of old jeans at work in case I had to crawl around the back of the PDP/11s in the computer room. Those big doors full of black spongey stuff could ruin a suit in seconds :o ...

my pc is all open i never close the case, make sure you clean the dust once a week with a mini vacum.

I just use a small brush and some compressed air (can from a camera shop). Vaccume is a huge static risk, one bit of that and you can corrupt your whole HD.

cv

did you buy that can of compressed air in Thailand? i really like to buy one, i use them back in the Stated, can't seem to find it in Thailand, those can work the best.

Having your case naked is actually detrimental to the cooling process and plays silly buggers with the airflow. Just get two 83mm fans (found in dead PSU's) and have one at the front sucking, and one at the back blowing. I did this last weekend and found a 6 degree drop in temperature.

When I was working in the computer department, we'd use a mini leaf blower to clean out 2 year old computers.  Lots of gunk and dust had built up over the years, and the big guns had to be brought in.  Worked well, since it was so powerful.  The main reason you don't leave a computer case open (and blow a desk fan into it) is because of all the unwanted things that could get inside... dust, insects, the family pet, your 2 month kid...

For thermal grease, only enough should be applied to just barely cover the entire contact area.  Any more than that and it would hurt rather than help the thermal conduction.  If you want really good contact, sand the heatsink area with fine grit sandpaper to a near-mirror finish.

the reason i kept it open was i didnt have much dust, no pets no 2 month kid ;-) . neways..i get yr point.

u mentioned sandpapering the heatsink area, which area do u mean? the area which is to be in contact with the core or the rest of the heat sink which is to radiate/conduct the heat out.

cv

did you buy that can of compressed air in Thailand? i really like to buy one, i use them back in the Stated, can't seem to find it in Thailand, those can work the best.

I got one at a camera shop in bangkok, but I was following my wife so I can't say where it was. Should be in most good camera shops though.

cv

I was referring to sanding the contact area, which is the small area in which the CPU and heatsink area actually touching. The CPU contact area is usually fairly smooth (and sanding it might void your warranty), so you usually only sand the heatsink.

cv

I got one at a camera shop in bangkok, but I was following my wife so I can't say where it was. Should be in most good camera shops though.

cv

You can get them in Big C Phuket - bottom floor, C zone, extreme right end, but they seemed expensive to me, so I didn't buy one. Just a can of compressed air, but about 250 baht if I remember correctly.