Motorbikes Without Green Book

sunholidaysun1

Quite recently there has been a clamp down on motorbikes without number plates and green book.

It has always been ok to drive these bikes , what ever the size of engine , with no real problems BUT

now the police are stopping those they can catch .

One farang in Chiang Rai (rumour control) that he was given a 25,000 bht fine.

A friend of a friend in Chiang Mai was also caught and given a 30,000 bht fine. The man in Chiang Mai was also told that if he didnt pay the 66,000 bht

required to obtail the number plate and green book for a 400cc Honda bike his bike would be confiscated if they catch him again.

Many bikes are for sale now without any green books and plates or possibly have fake green books and plate - BEWARE.

The other problem is of course the evaision of road tax , vehicle tax etc etc and that is why the fines are imposed. Also having no road tax or green book means you are driving without insurance !! Get into a crash then you will be in deep crap . Its very tempting to buy the cheap 400cc bikes at the very low prices being offered but unless you can afford to buy the Green Book etc , I would avoid them like the Chinese plague.

Quite recently there has been a clamp down on motorbikes without number plates and green book.

It has always been ok to drive these bikes , what ever the size of engine , with no real problems BUT

now the police are stopping those they can catch .

One farang in Chiang Rai (rumour control) that he was given a 25,000 bht fine.

A friend of a friend in Chiang Mai was also caught and given a 30,000 bht fine. The man in Chiang Mai was also told that if he didnt pay the 66,000 bht

required to obtail the number plate and green book for a 400cc Honda bike his bike would be confiscated if they catch him again.

Many bikes are for sale now without any green books and plates or possibly have fake green books and plate - BEWARE.

The other problem is of course the evaision of road tax , vehicle tax etc etc and that is why the fines are imposed. Also having no road tax or green book means you are driving without insurance !! Get into a crash then you will be in deep crap . Its very tempting to buy the cheap 400cc bikes at the very low prices being offered but unless you can afford to buy the Green Book etc , I would avoid them like the Chinese plague.

Good Advice, if it is shaky don't mess with it. In many case the book is worth more than the bike it self.

Want a CB400 SF with book and all up to date then pm me.

Dan

The TAX boys from BKK have just confiscated 5 big bikes from 2 shops in Udon, seems like there is a clampdown on import? tax, not so much the green book issue, I have paid my TAX, 16000bht on a 1999 CB 1300, and bought insurance from the govt. dept., so I am mostly legal.

Its about time the govt. reduced the cost of the plates , and then we would all register, and pay tax every year after that.

The TAX boys from BKK have just confiscated 5 big bikes from 2 shops in Udon, seems like there is a clampdown on import? tax, not so much the green book issue, I have paid my TAX, 16000bht on a 1999 CB 1300, and bought insurance from the govt. dept., so I am mostly legal.

Its about time the govt. reduced the cost of the plates , and then we would all register, and pay tax every year after that.

Maybe this will happen everywhere, all bikes with no plates or green books will be confiscated until the owners of the shops get them taxed etc , preventing them from selling bikes that are no legal. Not a bad thing really but they should as you have said make those bikes here already cheaper to tax etc. An amnesty for 1 week or something and any bike after that has to pay fully . Obviously that would never happen .

They also checked bikes in the tiny district of Pa-det (Changrai)and fined quite a few people, mostly Thai and at least one farang. The fines for Thai were about THB 25000 and the Farang had to pay THB 80.000. They weren't interested in my Kawasaki Boss though!

Edited by Frenske

• 3 weeks later...
im driving a 69 cc and i checked, theyre only after, the +100cc, if they catch you with lower theyre just probably trying to rip you off....

drive safe.... :)

Just take care that you dont have an accident !! Not only will you be hammered financially if anyone else is involved but any personal medical insurance will be made void for driving a motorcyle of whatever size without legal papers , road tax and Insurance. A very very costly mistake if it were to happen.

BE SAFE, get the correct paperwork for your bikes.

Hehehehe - love this : "mostly legal" . Sorry but you are illegal, full stop, and as someone else pointed out if you have an accident you are not covered and may need an aufull lot of money to bribe your way out, or go to jail.