Pregnant Brit To Return Home Soon.

wackysleet

Copy of a British fco e-mail just in......

This email is to advise you that an article matching one of your interests has been published: Samantha Orobator transferred into UK custody.

Samantha Orobator has been transferred into the custody of UK Ministry of Justice officials. The transfer took place in Vientiane, capital of Laos. She will now return to the UK to give birth and serve out her sentence in Britain.

This follows months of hard work by Bangkok-based British embassy staff for the two Britons held in Laos - Samantha Orobator and John Watson. It also follows direct engagement by British Ministers with the Laos authorities, as well as the intervention of the Prime Minister. Foreign Office Minister Chris Bryant made a special visit to Vientiane on 27-28 July to sign a memorandum of understanding enabling the transfer and to visit Samantha and John in prison.

The FCO continues to work for the early transfer of John Watson, who has indicated that he wishes to serve his sentence in the UK.

Commenting on Samantha's transfer Foreign Office Minister Chris Bryant said:

"This is excellent news. I saw for myself Samantha’s advanced state of pregnancy when I visited her in prison last week. The transfer means that Samantha will give birth in the UK, close to her relatives and under UK medical care. This is clearly the best outcome for all - not least her unborn child.

I am grateful to the Laos authorities; in particular to His Excellency Deputy Foreign Minister Phongsavath Boupha, who has fulfilled the promises concerning Samantha he made to me last week in Vientiane. I’d also like to thank the team in the British Embassy in Bangkok, who worked tirelessly to secure this result.

I remain extremely concerned for the health of John Watson, the other British prisoner held in a Laos jail. When I spoke to Deputy Foreign Minister Boupha earlier this week, I was assured that John will also be transferred, in his words, ‘in the very near future’. I look to the Laos authorities to ensure that this happens.

Of course today’s transfer does not mean we condone any crimes involving illegal drugs and Samantha will serve her term in a British penal establishment. We work around the world to combat the use of illegal drugs. I spend much of my time warning British tourists of the dangers of using drugs in countries such as Laos, which have heavy penalties for these crimes."

It's comforting to know that most of us foreigners here in Thailand have embassies working on our and fellow citizens behalf whilst we're away from home. They're unsung heroes really, just doing their job often faced with difficult, extreme and frustrating situations. Local consuls around the Kingdom work merely for expenses and a token salary and provide an excellent service to tourists and expatriates alike. I take my hat off to them and their like.

Regards Bojo

Gives out extremely bad message to all drug traffikers out there. They now basickly have government backing in getting the all "home" to serve their sentence. I'm sure life in Laos is really life but how much it is in UK i dont know. Most european countries "life" means 20 to 25 years max and in this case living with the kid in tax payers expense playing video games.

I can already hear the new sales pitch "don't worry honey, here's syringe full of sperm to get you pregnant in case you get caught and phone number for the consul. We quarantee time is done in home and you will be out in no time, just like Samantha"

It's comforting to know that most of us foreigners here in Thailand have embassies working on our and fellow citizens behalf whilst we're away from home. They're unsung heroes really, just doing their job often faced with difficult, extreme and frustrating situations. Local consuls around the Kingdom work merely for expenses and a token salary and provide an excellent service to tourists and expatriates alike. I take my hat off to them and their like.

Regards Bojo

Is that just well written sarcasm?!?!

The UK Embassy in Bangkok have only pulled there finger out since they were embarrassed by the Oz Embassy in Vientiane. The 'unsung heroes' didn't even know she had been arrested until the Aussies told them following their visits to an australian in the same prison! Also aided that the Laos government don't want the hassle of dealing with scumf*cks like Reprieve and Prisoners Abroad - my parents commented when they came over this year when ever they told someone they were going Laos 99% of the time no one knew where it was however this year it was 'ohhh that where they put that pregnant girl in jail they say she was probably raped . . '. I've said it several times and I'll say it again Reprieve are the lowest parasitic bottomfeeding scum that have ever infested this planet.

I have to agree with MJo here - the whole thing is an utter joke. She'll be in a nice cushy British prison complete with tv, dvds, playstation . . . her kid will be dumped with her parent living on welfare . . . then after about 2 years she'll no doubt be release on compassionate grounds . . . :) .. . oh then she'll write a book and make a pretty penny out of the whole fuc_ked up mess and probably never do another days work in her life! :D

Then just to put the cherry on the pie no doubt Watson aka 'Daddy' will be returned and the whole episode will repeat . . .

The PC do-gooders in the world have a f*ckin' lot to answer for!

Hard heart there techno...

My question is why was the fast-track afforded so that this one-off criminal could be taken care of? Meanwhile, Brits living abroad generally get lip service from their foreign legations when they find themselves in an accident or victim of a crime. I think the FCO should have handled this quietly without that Whitehall wonk loudly pontificating in Bangkok and Laos when this unique protocol was being signed. As said, the winners are the Lao government and the criminal so I wonder what the real horse-trade was that made this one become such an urgent and high-profile fix for the UK government?

Not sorry or surprised that the Aussie criminal is still in the hoosegow. I reckon if Canberra had been a bit more forthcoming (dare I say more honest?) in surrendering miscreants and money in a much earlier, much heralded Lao-Australian criminal money laundering scheme, he could have been out years ago and this lass would never have had the chance to get pregnant. However, since he may now claim that he's the father of something, he'll be crying for more lenient treatment.

As The World Turns.

Edited by NanLaew

Techno for once im agreeing with you.

Thing is if she done 7 years you could accept her going home to a UK prison to stay for the rest of her life and im sure many British voters would accept she's been punished, but the government have gone out there and retrospectively implemented a law especially to free her purely on the basis she is a women after she has been in jail for a few months.

In all my life ive never heard the British govt. interfering in another countries legal system to benefit a criminal caught redhanded with such an addictive drug, you can be sure man hater Harriet Harmen is behind this somewhere.

To anyone who wishes to vote nu-Liebour until the day they die, please hurry up and do so. :)

Edited by sanmiguellight

Regards Bojo

Is that just well written sarcasm?!?!

The UK Embassy in Bangkok have only pulled there finger out since they were embarrassed by the Oz Embassy in Vientiane. The 'unsung heroes' didn't even know she had been arrested until the Aussies told them following their visits to an australian in the same prison! Also aided that the Laos government don't want the hassle of dealing with scumf*cks like Reprieve and Prisoners Abroad - my parents commented when they came over this year when ever they told someone they were going Laos 99% of the time no one knew where it was however this year it was 'ohhh that where they put that pregnant girl in jail they say she was probably raped . . '. I've said it several times and I'll say it again Reprieve are the lowest parasitic bottomfeeding scum that have ever infested this planet.

I have to agree with MJo here - the whole thing is an utter joke. She'll be in a nice cushy British prison complete with tv, dvds, playstation . . . her kid will be dumped with her parent living on welfare . . . then after about 2 years she'll no doubt be release on compassionate grounds . . . :) .. . oh then she'll write a book and make a pretty penny out of the whole fuc_ked up mess and probably never do another days work in her life! :D

Then just to put the cherry on the pie no doubt Watson aka 'Daddy' will be returned and the whole episode will repeat . . .

I wasn't commenting on this specific case.

No, it wasn't sarcastic at all. I just think that overall ( no specific event in mind), they do a great job.

I have met on occasion some of the British embassy staff from Ambassador to local consul and I'm very aware how difficult and challenging their job can be, not forgetting the many times whilst dealing with the Thai authorities, their hands are tied.

It's a difficult world to play in abroad as we're all aware and considering the above I'm ever grateful to them for the jobs they perform whether it be humanitarian, consular or otherwise.

Regards Bojo

Pregnant Briton returns from Laos jail

(AFP) – 19 minutes ago

LONDON — A heavily pregnant Briton sentenced to life in prison in Laos for drugs trafficking landed back in London on Friday to serve out the rest of her sentence.

Samantha Orobator, 20, flew back into London Heathrow Airport, the Press Association news agency reported.

Dressed in casual clothing, she seemed in good spirits as she was met by uniformed police, PA said.

Lets face facts, heres a black african immigrant on a uk passport that has very nicely used the system in her favor,.the fast track has occured as it would have been much more complicated as the pregnacy neared its term, ie allowed to fly etc, but for the life of me i cant understand the reason they are giving that john watson the chance to serve out his term in the uk,hasnt he commited some sort of crime doing what he did ? bizzarre, next thing we know they will be all sharing a married cell in an open prison and allowed out on weekends for family trips,thank christ im not a british tax payer any more, it borders insanity,. :)

Here she is arriving back at Heathrow looking like she's dressed for a family day out.

Orobator_598569a.jpg

There is a video of her on Skynews wandering about as she got off the plane not in handcuffs ..... not bad for a Cat A prisoner.

She should have had her UK passport removed from her and sent back to Nigeria along with the rest of her nationals who commit crimes here.

She'll probably be out in 7 years.

That's the deal in Britain. Leaving aside the perceived leniency of such an outcome why would folk here wish the girl to suffer the agony of a Lao prison?

She'll be out before then, she's already walking around like a free women without handcuffs.

It should be the same rules for everyone she has had preferential treatment like i have never seen before purely because she is a female, and possibly because a black persons charity has been pushing for the Liebour government for it .... this PC govt wouldnt wish to refuse anything to the minorities though would it.

And no it isnt a race issue, itd be the same if they released the white male father of this child thats in there after a couple of months, just as there would be outrage by Aussies if the guy who was sentenced yesterday had the Aussie govt. bending over backwards to get him released im sure you'd agree ... he has a kid aswell!

Thing is ive taken more then my fair share of drugs in my time and crack and heroine are in a different league to others, im for legalising some drugs but i wouldnt want my kids having access to either of these 2, they KILL!

She'll probably be out in 7 years.

That's the deal in Britain. Leaving aside the perceived leniency of such an outcome why would folk here wish the girl to suffer the agony of a Lao prison?

She'll be out before then, she's already walking around like a free women without handcuffs.

It should be the same rules for everyone she has had preferential treatment like i have never seen before purely because she is a female, and possibly because a black persons charity has been pushing for the Liebour government for it .... this PC govt wouldnt wish to refuse anything to the minorities though would it.

And no it isnt a race issue, itd be the same if they released the white male father of this child thats in there after a couple of months, just as there would be outrage by Aussies if the guy who was sentenced yesterday had the Aussie govt. bending over backwards to get him released im sure you'd agree ... he has a kid aswell!

Thing is ive taken more then my fair share of drugs in my time and crack and heroine are in a different league to others, im for legalising some drugs but i wouldnt want my kids having access to either of these 2, they KILL!

What a great story the kid will have to tell when its older, :D ...where did your parents meet ?, :)

I was just on the Independents site one of the bastions of left wing liberalism and pretty much all the comments are the same, thank <deleted> i refuse to pay tax in England anymore to fund this kind of travesty.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-...il-1768507.html

P.S. 3 more boys died in Afghanistan today, i'm wondering if they were fighting the poppy production where this girls heroine would have more then likely come from ..... poor souls should have stayed here in blighty and signed on.